by NickTooley Investigator
Investigator

Asus router setup

Hello 

I have an asus rt-ac87u router and will be setting it up soon. 

I would like to know how to do this so that  EE will remain my internet provider. 

I have an EE Smart hub at the moment and believe I have the relevant user names and passwords. 

I will have access to the internet via my iPhone or laptop (using my phone as a hotspot) for the purposes of setup. 

Any assistance will be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance 

nick

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Solution

Re: Asus router setup

Hi Nick,

There are a few ways you could go about it but the EE hub will need to remain as at least a modem (the Asus doesn't have a DSL Port). 

Easiest way is to disable NAT and DHCP on the Asus and connect an ethernet cable between a LAN port on it and the EE Smart Hub. The Asus will then become effectively an access point only, with the routing done with the EE Smart Hub.

Presumably you got the Asus because you want it to be doing the majority of the 'work' but nomatter what (unless you get a separate modem) you're going to be using the modem of the Smart Hub.

I'm sure XraySpeX will have other suggestions of how to set things up but this is the way I usually have done.

6 REPLIES 6
by Grand Master
Grand Master

In Home Broadband settings you'll find almost everything you need to set up your own router. What's missing for Fibre is:

• VLAN ID = 101
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Solution

Hi Nick,

There are a few ways you could go about it but the EE hub will need to remain as at least a modem (the Asus doesn't have a DSL Port). 

Easiest way is to disable NAT and DHCP on the Asus and connect an ethernet cable between a LAN port on it and the EE Smart Hub. The Asus will then become effectively an access point only, with the routing done with the EE Smart Hub.

Presumably you got the Asus because you want it to be doing the majority of the 'work' but nomatter what (unless you get a separate modem) you're going to be using the modem of the Smart Hub.

I'm sure XraySpeX will have other suggestions of how to set things up but this is the way I usually have done.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well spotted, @Peter_C.

Yes, @NickTooley, you should've bought the DSL-AC68U or similar if you wanted to replace the EE router entirely.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Ok. Thanks. I’ve come this far so

I guess I’m in market for a modem. 

Best wishes

Investigator

Thank you. It’s a learning curve

Best wishes

Sent from my iPhone
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.