by JamFrench
Explorer

Arvato collection harassment on closed account!

Hello EE community!

I am extremely unhappy about EE and their methods and what unfolded a few days ago.

Back in August, I bought one of your Internet dongle to use as temporary wifi solution while moving houses. In September, I called to cancel the contract. The nice customer agent assured me the contract was closed, last invoice was paid on the phone with her, and an email would be sent for confirmation.

I never received such an email however no longer thought much of it as for me, the case was closed. I got my new connection with another provider and everything was for the best.

Then 10 days ago, I started receiving calls and texts from arvato collection. I was puzzled as I pay all my bills on time and did not see the why they would be after me and thought that might be some sort of a scam. Up until I received a letter from EE, informing me they had a mysterious "Outstanding 68£" bills on my account. First surprise, as we never put anything close to this amount on this pay as you go service. Second surprise, is receiving a bill for october when the account was supposedely closed. 

Now I would be more than happy to pay, but not for a service that was disconnected, no longer used but still, mysteriously pricely billed to me for yet another month. Also, it is worth noting that EE has the nerve to threaten to hurt my credit score. Threats to your customers? Really? That's very classy! BravoEE!

I'm deeply shocked by such a poor customer service. I tried to call CS but of course, I have lost the number associated with this sad excuse of a service and cannot go through without it. Now I have Arvato harassing me constantly on my phone for those 68£ (but after all, they do allocate themselves a 10% on top of it so, I suppose those 6.8£ are worth chasing an unknown person in a manner that borders on the unlawful).

Really, I want to know: is taht a standard quality of customer service with EE? Do they often charge fopr a service theyd id not deliver and client did not ask for, or even better asked to interrupt?

How can I escalate this issue?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor
Solution

Re: Arvato collection harassment on closed account!

@JamFrench, Arvato is a German company, that used to be called Bertelsmann, which has nothing to do with EE, take a look here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arvato.

Maybe you should contact them and also ring EE customer service and speak to them, you can ring them on the 0800 number, which you will find by clicking on shop.

I really urge you to ring EE before you get a bad credit score and you can also click on help and ways to complain.

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

How does EE use my credit file information? might shed some light on your issue.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by JamFrench
Explorer

Thank you, those are horrific practices. So if EE is just making an obvious mistake on your file, billing you for something when they shouldn't, your credit might get hurt because of their mistake? Terrible.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor
Solution

@JamFrench, Arvato is a German company, that used to be called Bertelsmann, which has nothing to do with EE, take a look here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arvato.

Maybe you should contact them and also ring EE customer service and speak to them, you can ring them on the 0800 number, which you will find by clicking on shop.

I really urge you to ring EE before you get a bad credit score and you can also click on help and ways to complain.

by JamFrench
Explorer

I know about Arvato, I used to work for them even! So I know about their job and the way it works. I know better than answer any of their request!

I already did ring EE, I'm happy to discuss with them! problem is I lost the bloody mobile number associated with this account hence I cannot even go through to customer service! The number is mandatory to be able to go through. I don't even know where the wifi dongle is anymore (it's a small pice of plastic and long lost in the moving of the house).

The mobile number is never indicated in all of EE threatening letters - neither is the bill attached to the requested payment enclosed! 

I'm just so puzzled by these bad customer service practice, no email to contact them, so if you no longer have your mobile number you are screwed! Handing over your account straight to collection without any warning, hurting your credit score right away, while they MUST have on record the call I made mid september to pay off and close the account, I am feeling deeply disgusted by such a company !

by JamFrench
Explorer

Hello shockwave, sorry I replied way too fast, thanks for the link I will try this! Thanks a lot!

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@JamFrench, I know the company as well, I used to buy books from them when they were called Bertelsmann.

Hope you get it sorted ok, not sure why this has happened, as if the number has been cancelled, then nothing should go through, unless the number has been given to someone else, but thought that would only be so after several months, it is not even six months.

Unfortunately, things can go wrong, it can happen sometimes, I was sent a bill from a utility company, the bill was high and it had gone to the wrong address, so rang the company up and they sorted it,, cannot remember how they said it had happened, but things like that are a worry.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @JamFrench

Welcome to the community, I'm sorry to read of your experience.

I too urge you to speak to customer services.

When it asks your for a mobile number, do not enter anything. It will ask a few times, then transfer you through to an agent.

Please let me know how you get on, I (and @Schockwave I'm sure) would be interested to know what happens.

Thanks.

Chris

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Schockwave I suggest that this everything to do with EE and Arvato.  Would it be that Arvato have bought the debt from EE?   They would then pursue @JamFrench to recover the outstanding amount based on erroneous info from EE.

https://www.arvato.com/uk/services/credit-and-collections-management.html

I have a similar story, and the whole 7 months of stress, accusations that my wife was a defaulter, damaged credit score, explicit threats of legal action and more.

Orange sold a mobile phone debt to a third party - they sent a threatneing letter to my wife. I rang Orange and told them they had it all wrong, and my wife had never had an Orange phone.  Orange / EE just refused to listen, spoke to us as if we were criminals, bleating that they had sent numerous reminders for us to pay £600.  Where did you send them I asked? - "to the London Road address in Enfield" they bleated - except we don't live in Enfield, and how come they are now threatening us with our actual address?  How can there be two addresses on the account (an account we never had!).    Short summary - I escalated to Exec. Office and it took us months for Orange to admit they had a huge admin error. Debts. department were "not allowed" to talk to us, and one dept. was t_mobile, the other was Orange and none of the departments spoke to each other.  They didn't apologise, they couldn't reverse the debt on our credit record, and they couldn't get the EE systems to erase any knowledge of my wife's address. It was farcical if it wasn't so serious.

Eventually I approached credit companies myself to check our rating (don't ever try to talk to Experian crooks!).   EE eventually agreed to send me £25 to cover the cost of my credit checks.... which they sent by post to the incorrect Enfield address!     

So you can understand why I am not surprised by the story from the original poster.  My advice? Don't ask EE to do the organising for the next social at the brewery. They are incompetent. Oh, and I will NEVER trust EE to buy a mobile contract from them.

@JamFrench I would advise you call EE immediately. If you get one snarky response or indifference to your complaint, escalate it immediately to the Executive office.

by Jmccxx
Visitor

Hi 

When you take out a contract regardless if you use the service or not you are liable for the monthly fee until the contract ends. 

If you wish to cancel your contract you must give 30 days notice for example if you took a 12 month contract out in January 2017 and caJan 18 to cancel your contract wouldn’t actually end until Feb 17, however if you call in December 17 your contract would end in Jan 18. Also, you must request the cancellation otherwise the contract will run on. 

I would suggest contacting EE as they will be able to access your account through other information such as your name, address and date of birth.

They will explain the final bill to you and if you can’t pay the balance in full you can arrange an affordable payment plan.

If if you feel you where mis-led by EE when calling to cancel and told that was your final payment you can raise a complaint and request the call is listened to  

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.