by paulfsnet Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Are EE deceiving its customers

Hi all hope this may help some of you

Having been with the likes of Freeserve, Wanadoo, Orange and then EE I thought that having been with the same company even though they changed ownerships and names for well over the past 20years would have given me some leverage due to my loyalty, but in fact quite the opposite happened to me.

Long story but I’ll try and keep it short as possible

I was on standard EE ADSL line  receiving around 10Mbps and thought I would ask about the Fibre EE where offering, all the checks where done and was told I would get unto 40bps as my exchange is 875 metres away and the line test done on my property was clean, well first day of service going live and I'm receiving 31Mbps of which I was quite happy about as I know that these companies sometimes over exaggerate the figures, well the very next day the speed had dropped down to 23Mbps and seemed very laggy in fact the service seemed worse than my ADSL line was, this went on a for a few days and not being happy I called EE up and asked then to investigate of which I was told the speeds I had was the maximum I could get.

Even though I had explained that the Fibre service EE offered of upto 40Mbps was not in anyway what I was getting, in fact sometimes my speed would drop down to slower speeds than my old ADSL line maxing out at 8Mbps. I was told there is nothing they could do and I would have to put up with it, as you can imagine I was very angry at this time especially after being a loyal customer so told them I wanted to cancel my contract with them as I was still within my rights to do so, I was then confronted with abuse and told if that's what I wanted they would cut me off there and then and  left with no phone of broadband, after explaining this could not happen and the reasons why the obtuse person agreed and this is when I switched over to PlusNet of which I have been happy with so far and currently receiving around 32-35Mbps.

As well as being threatened with my phone and broadband being disconnected instantly, I also had received phone calls saying that as I had cancelled the contract I would be liable for all the costs which amounted to well over £300 even though I was put on an upgrade and the order was canceld within the 14days under the right to cancel contract within 14 days, I then received a letter saying that I owed moneys for early cancellation of which I called up the executive team and explained and they agreed there had been errors on EE part and the balance was in fact an amount owning to me of 80p which I still have not recived.

I have attached a speed test graph which I carried out over the past month to show the old EE fibre and the new PlusNet connection.

Speed test results.jpg

Even though the BT cabinet has not changed I'm still on cabinet 7 and the line to my property has not changed or any modifications to my existing internal wiring the speed I am getting now with PlusNet is far superior than what I was getting with EE, how can this be, both companies are owned by BT, the cabinet is the same and no cabling has changed so could anyone please explain why this happened? is it a case that EE use there own equipment in the exchange and put restrictions on its users whereas Plusnet use BT Wholesale equipment. Either way EE shows absolutely no loyalty whatsoever to its customers.

I do hope that this post does not get removed by admin as I think EE's cutomers have a right to know what is going on.

53 REPLIES 53
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Are EE deceiving its customers

Both PN & EE use BT Openreach fibre & the BTw backhaul network.

Please post your current full router stats.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Thanks for the reply did not think this post would see the light of day

DSL.jpg

Data rate:6240 / 34884
7. Maximum data rate:6240 / 43570
8. Noise margin:5.8 / 5.9
9. Line attenuation:22.1 / 22.8
10. Signal attenuation:21.9 / 20.4

Established Contributor

I think you will agree with the stats I have posted show that EE are defiantly putting restrictions on its users, the speed test results show how when with EE my line speed was all over the place and no it was not the router as another was used and the same results given.

Again how can one of the same company offer stable high speeds while the other offers very low speeds that are unstable.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I can't say until I see your pix, which await moderation.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

No i totaly understand and would not be surprised if thay never get admin aprovel to be shown, but the images and infomation are inconclusive in its findings.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There's no reason for them not to be approved. They'll be nowt contentious in them.

Established Contributor

Looks like pics have been aproved, as stated in my first post nothing at all has changed only switching providers which you can clearly see from the speed test results that when I was with EE I had nothing but slow unstable speeds.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Even with PN, you are not even getting the min. Handback Threshold. What did PN quote to you upon signup? It would have been interesting to have seen your router stats with EE.

ISPs don't sell speedtest throughput; only sync speeds.

Established Contributor

I regret now not logging full stats from EE router, but as said two routers from EE with no change in speed or reliability so we can rule that out, no change of cable or location of what the router is plugged into the only change is a PN router of which that are in charge of.

when I signed up the min speed was 34Mbps of which I am reciving most of the time unlike EE that had trouble providing 8Mbps some days.

There is more to this but no I will never get the truth, if a company can treat me the way that did after many years of loyalty then I am guessing that won't let on what's going on.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@paulfsnet wrote:

the only change is a PN router of which thEY are in charge of.

Not exactly, the ISP network & control has changed beyond the BTw backhaul.

Established Contributor

yes sorry you are right but can you explain why things where so bad on EE as the screen capture of speed test clearly shows a restriction had been put on the service as I am now getting the speeds that I should have.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, I am unable to speculate on your BB performance with EE w/out seeing the full router stats at the time. It is now water under the bridge.

At around the time of the switch did you have any OR eng. attend to fix any fault?

Established Contributor

no nothing changed or fixed no eng call outs nothing at all, as stated still on cab 7, still same cable from exchange to my BT point.

Disconnected from EE with a speed of approximately 18Mbps at the time and connected to PN a few hours latter hitting nearly 36Mbps which is not to bad for a 40-10 line.

only on day one with EE did I ever hit 31Mbps on day two things drastically went haywire.

Established Contributor

Thinking back now when I was with Orange I sometimes used to get close to 16Mbps and as you know I record everything.  when EE took over my line speed went down to 2Mbps of which I notice right away and contacted EE about the speed and was told then that was the maximum speed I could get on my line of which I had proof of which I sent them an Email stating otherwise, needless to say my speed jumped up but never back to the 16 Mbps I had with Orange.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If this was in 2011 that was the time Orange switched from being LLU, with their own kit in exchange, to BT WBC, both on ADSL2+. My speeds also went down drastically at the time but after written complaint they reverted to 4 Meg faster on WBC than they were on LLU.

Established Contributor

Yes this where good when Orange was in charge, we even had our Email, but EE put pay to that and removed the service for all the old customers.

Anyway many things are at hand here and I am sure as much quilting has been done to cover this up, but if as it used to be in the old days are still at hand then I suspect that EE charge customers for a service that they will never provide as that are covered under the BT minimum 20Mbps rule and as such plug as many customers into a single pipe so maximise profits.

Just one other point though that I thing is underhand and that is having admin remove posts from other users as they do not want everyone to see what is going on.

Post by user: wandaluzt

I've just switched from Plusnet to EE. I have done speed tests tonight and barely getting 25 down. Looking back through my old speed tests I've never been that low ever at any time of the day. My EE guaranteed speed is 35mbps, why do I get the sinking feeling I've made a massive mistake switching? Especially after hearing this story. My line is top notch, never had any trouble with it, my lowest speed according to the BT checker is 66.8.

I have a feeling EE have taken on a load of customers and cannot support them. Throughout shouldn't be this low, I stream 4k and I'm going to be pretty angry if my move affects this. I only moved from Plusnet thanks to cash back incentives, right now I wish I'd left well alone.

I rest my case there can be many many things that affect speed but like most users we don’t touch our lines or anything else but for whatever reason speeds change with different suppliers and this is something I intend to investigate and make publicly aware. You see EE have gone one step to far this time and have piced on the wrong persion.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@paulfsnet: Where do you see mods removing posts cuz they don't like criticism of EE? That just doesn't happen. Post are rarely removed & only if they breach Guidelines, usually getting into arguments & insults of individuals.

Established Contributor

I don’t know what’s going on here but the post made by user: wandaluzt did not appear on this thread but I received an email saying a post was in this thread, that is why I made my comments as I received an email saying a post was made in this thread but when looking at the thread the users post was not seen this is why I stated that it looks like it had been removed.

I see wandaluzt has started a new thread now regarding the same problems as I have listed so my instance cannot be a one off, I just hope he still has the hub one as he will be a able to pull of the data that will show a reduction in speed now he has joined EE.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I moved it to his own thread as it is a separate investigation from yours. If you had clicked on the link in the email after I had moved it, rather coming to this thread directly, it would have taken you to the new thread.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.