by IBP Contributor
Contributor

Anyone else getting throttled to 3Mbps instead of 35Mbps?

I appear to be getting throttled, usually overnight, to around 3Mbps. 

If I reset my router I get my full 35Mbps throughput for a while, then it goes back down, when I check the following day.

If I use Speedtest.net it says I have 35Mbps but an actual file transfer says otherwise, until I do a hard reset on the router that is. Could there be a proxy bypass for Speedtest.net? Can't be a router fault as it would not work for this website.

It's not like I download much, it's mainly used for gaming or streaming TV services. I notice when playing online that it's slow, again until I reset the router.

Anyone else get this?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Anyone else getting throttled to 3Mbps instead of 35Mbps?

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

BB issues are almost invariably down to your own line, not anybody else's.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @IBP

We'll do our best to help.

Please take a look at @XRaySpeX post above and get back to us with the numbers.

Thank you. 🙂

Chris

by IBP Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for getting back.

The router has been reset today, but I'll post these anyway and I'll do the same again tomorrow when the throughput drops.

DSL Status

This page shows information about your DSL connection. If you are using Ethernet Broadband then this page is not applicable.

Status

Configured

Current

Line Status

--

UP

Link Type

--

Fast Path

Operation Mode

Automatic

G.993.2 (VDSL2)

Data Rate Information

Upstream

9345 (Kbps)

Downstream

40000 (Kbps)

Defect/Failure Indication

Operation Data

Upstream

Downstream

Noise Margin

6.3 (dB)

6.9 (dB)

Line Attenuation

0.0 (dB)

22.9 (dB)

Indicator Name

Near End Indicator

Far End Indicator

Output Power

5.6 (dBm)

12.5 (dBm)

Fast Path FEC Correction

Interleaved Path FEC Correction

--

--

Fast Path CRC Error

Interleaved Path CRC Error

--

--

Loss of Signal Defect

Fast Path HEC Error STR

Interleaved Path HEC Error

--

--

Error Seconds

Statistics

Received Data

5187735 (Kbits)

Transmitted Data

823657 (Kbits)

System Uptime is: 01:48:26

2. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1522258034831838955

3. Widnes Exchange

Thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, thanks, please repost those results after a day or more w/out touching it. At the mo' your BB is fine.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by IBP Contributor
Contributor

I'll check it tomorrow. It usually only lasts a day.

Thanks

by IBP Contributor
Contributor

Just thought I'd let you know that the broadband hasn't dropped in throughput since I reset it on Wednesday. 

FIngers crossed!

Thanks

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance. Good luck that it holds.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.