by Greg98 Contributor
Contributor

All router lights green, but no broadband connection.

Hello,

after months of issues with our home broadband dropping out  it finally completely died with the power light on the router remaining solid red despite being restarted. After contacting EE an engineer was sent out and a new router was installed with all the visible lights green and both internet and broadband connected successfully. Despite this, no devices within the property were able to load web pages. After contacting EE again a second engineer was sent out (BT Openreach) to check the lines to the address and the interchange. His tests were completed successfully with no line issues found, with the engineer stating everything on our side is completely fine. After contacting EE again they want to send a third engineer out and I do not see how this will be helpful if the previous one has stated he’s done everything he can on our side.

if anyone can provide any advice or possible fixes it would be greatly appreciated as we have been without broadband for over two weeks now and it just feels like the issue is getting passed around instead of being solved. It’s a BrightBox 2 on fibre broadband, we also have a dial tone on the home phone.

22 REPLIES 22
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: All router lights green, but no broadband connection.

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

What does it say after you log into the router:

• For a BrightBox: in the Internet section on the initial Status page or
  • For a Smart Hub: on the Advanced Settings / Broadband / Internet page?

Obscure your names & numbers in the BB Username but post the 1st 2 parts of the IP addy. This will tell us at which stage EE have got to.

Does the phone work? Do you get a dial tone? Does it announce your correct no. when you dial 1470 17070?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Greg98 Contributor
Contributor

6BD6DC59-6ED9-4DD3-8AE2-3BFFDF820A24.jpeg

Thanks for replying, hopefully this is the information your after. We’ve been with EE for a number of years with no previous major issues like this. The phone has a dial tone and is working correctly.

by Greg98 Contributor
Contributor

1D073DBE-A3C0-4257-89BE-955C30B1A649.jpeg

Not sure if you can see it the first time I uploaded the image.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi @Greg98  The images have just been approved so I’m sure @XRaySpeX  will be back soon with some advice. He is very good with this sort of thing x

by Greg98 Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Watkins07. Thank you I really hope so!

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You have a full proper connection to the BB & the Net. There's nowt a sent eng can do for you.

Is it only WiFi devices that don't connect? Can an Ethernet'ed device connect?

What does it say in the Currently Connected Devices section on the initial Status page? Obscure the MAC Addys.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Greg98 Contributor
Contributor

I’ve got a computer connected on Ethernet which also doesn’t work but it is slightly different to mobile devices. In network settings on the pc is says there’s a network connection but again no programs requiring internet will launch and webpages won’t load. An error message saying a secure connection to the server could not be established is displayed which makes me think it’s a problem on EE’s side. This is the case loading webpages on my pc and phone.

wireless devices connected to the WiFi are displayed successfully in the connected devices section. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

May I see it?

Have you tried rebooting the router?

by Greg98 Contributor
Contributor

I’ve tried both rebooting the router and resetting it to factory settings without success.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Try a hard reboot & a hard factory reset rather than using the menus.

by Greg98 Contributor
Contributor

How do I do that? I thought the only way to do it was within the advanced router settings after logging in?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hard Reboot = just a power OFF/ON.

Hard Reset = pushing a pin in Reset hole for a few secs while powered on. See Restore factory settings / Reset using button .

by Greg98 Contributor
Contributor

I’ve just carried out the hard reboot then hard reset and I’m now getting a different error message when trying to open a web page from my pc.

ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

do I now need to log back into the router and change something?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What was the error msg before?

What's the Internet section on the initial Status page? 

by Greg98 Contributor
Contributor

Internet section on the initial status page is exactly the same, both internet and broadband are connected. In total I’ve received three different error messages over the course of today when trying to fix it.

initially when trying to open a web page it was saying a secure connection could not be established with the server.

then I was getting that connection reset error message and now it’s saying the connection isn’t private.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Everything about the router is showing you have a good connection & there's nowt EE can do to stop it reaching the Net. Have you access to a diff router you can try?

by Greg98 Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately not, the current router is brand new. Considering nothing has been changed on our end in terms of settings I’m convinced it’s something EE has done. The network has been running successfully all be it with minor issues for almost three years. A third engineer is meant to be coming on Friday so I guess I’ll have to wait until then to see what the next steps are.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

The router must be faulty. Phone EE for a replacement. A BT OR eng can't do anything as you BB is running fine, unless he brings an EE router with him which I think is unlikely.

Have you rebooted the PC you are running from?

This shouldn't make any diff but might be worth a try ...

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

Post the Status / Internet page when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

by Greg98 Contributor
Contributor

The third (BT openreach) engineer arrived this morning. He ended up contacting second line support who ran a ‘rave’ test On the network using a different server. This was successful and confirmed it was a CP issue. After just getting off the phone with EE after 45 minutes they’ve said the only thing that can be causing the issue is that the new router we’ve been given by the first attending EE engineer is not correctly provisioned for use on our network. As a result she’s sent a new one which she’s assured me will be correctly provisioned. Hopefully that means on Monday when it arrives the issue should be fixed.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.