by Csancto Contributor
Contributor

All of my devices keep losing connection to internet

So about 2 weeks ago I was getting an error stating that I didnt have connection to the internet. After a phone call in transpired there was an issue with thr exchange so needed to wait 5 days. After that it still wasnt working so called again and was told my router is old so may be the issue. Got my new router after 2 weeks as post office lost it; all connects fine but every few minutes everything loses internet so downloads stop, web pages wont load, xbox signs out etc but all lights remain green. I have tried with both routers ( EE sent me another new router as post office lost 1st one.....then they found it) but its still the same. I dont have a landline phone I just use broadband. 

29 REPLIES 29
by Csancto Contributor
Contributor

Re: All of my devices keep losing connection to internet

Screenshot_20180314-183220.png

Screenshot_20180314-183301.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

BB connection looks OK altho' there have been 3 discons in 8 hours.

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets in the home even if unused? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate of master socket?

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Csancto Contributor
Contributor

Hi Xray. 

It honestly feels like 3 disconnections in 8 minutes never mind hours. I dont have a split faceplate in home. I havr an unused socket upstairs which I have plugged into and same results. I have reset tbe router as have EE support. Would hope its not router as both as banrd new. Will do some further tests tomorrow but thanks for looking into this for me. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You really need to do the QLT.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Csancto

Welcome to the community.

I see @XRaySpeX has offered you some brilliant support already.

Could you try the quiet line test and get back to us with the results please?

Thanks 

Chris 🙂

by Csancto Contributor
Contributor

Morning.

This could be an issue as I cant find a master socket. Both of my sockets are the single face and i dont have any more. The BT Openreach box outside is outside my kitchen so unless my house was built with it behind the kitchen worktops I have no idea. I am trying to take the backs off to check. Im still sceptical as to how everything was fine until the issue at the exchange a few weeks ago.

by Csancto Contributor
Contributor

So I cant find a master test socket in my house.

https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMSPDNG

Theres the exchange and heres my speedtest (laptop wired to router)

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1521110594126148155

Again hoping you can spot something as to me (the untrained eye) all looks fine but its clearly not. Disconnect all devices and reconnected to Wifi 1 at a time to see if any better performance individually but nothing. Phones still struggling to buffer videos, Xbox wont maintain connection or downloads. Up until a few weeks ago it would be normal to have the xbox playing, a tablet viewing the internet and a laptop upstairs playing music from Youtube whilst downloading .

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What BT Openreach box?

If you have no test socket there's nowt you can do about that. That's how it is. You can still do a QLT from the front of the master socket.

by Csancto Contributor
Contributor

20180315_111836.jpg

This little box. Didnt know if theres anything I can do with that. I will have to go and buy a phone as I dont use a landline

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Dunno what that box is. Do you know when it was fitted?

by Csancto Contributor
Contributor

I dont ive only been living here 3 years and it was there when we moved in. Looking it up it just looks like a casing for the master wiring entering the home. I can see one on my neighbours house too from my kitchen window. 

Also the link for the phone page wouldnt work on my mobile data ( wifi gone again even though all lights green...)

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Sorry, I got the wrong link.

Yes, it's worth having a cheap corded handset handy to help with your BB. Also it's worth having a read of Why do I need a landline phone?

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Csanctowrote:

Morning.

This could be an issue as I cant find a master socket. Both of my sockets are the single face and i dont have any more. The BT Openreach box outside is outside my kitchen so unless my house was built with it behind the kitchen worktops I have no idea. I am trying to take the backs off to check. Im still sceptical as to how everything was fine until the issue at the exchange a few weeks ago.

Redundant old telephone extensions are a big no no.  I would doubt they are wired in correctly if you can't find a master socket. They, and the cables are also vulnerable to damage if run along skirting, under carpets etc.     Do you use micro filters on your devices when connected to the sockets?

Find the master socket, and unscrew it and remove all redundant cables.  Then test again. In time, upgrade to a modern master socket, and that will dispense with the need for micro filters.

That exterior box is normal, there is nothing you can do with that. I would suggest if it is a newish house the master socket will be on the inside very close to that exterior box, on your skirting.  Openreach don't like long runs to a master socket.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

If you do not have phone sockets with removable faceplates, the whole sockets are BT property & you are not allowed to take them apart. If you touch them, you do so at your own risk. That is the whole point of why NTE5 sockets with removable faceplates were introduced, so that the consumer can do their own extension wiring.

Even if the sockets are old & do not have removable faceplates, that does not mean that they are wired incorrectly. BT still managed to install phone wiring properly even before NTE5 sockets with removable faceplates were introduced. Only if a previous owner did an "illegal" DIY job on them might they be suspect.You will have a master socket in any case. It'll be the 1 nearest where the phone wiring enters the property.

You could try to get EE to get out BT to "normalise" your phone wiring & install an NTE5 socket with removable faceplate, because of these discons. 

by Csancto Contributor
Contributor

Corded phone test isnt crackling but does have a low hum similar to someone with a desk fan a couple of meters away when I run quiet line..Is this unusual?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

There should be no noise; it should be silent. Report it to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That external box is BT's External NTE (Network Termination Equipment), which means you do not have master socket inside the property. BT appear to be connecting these new units internally to LJU's (non NTE5 sockets) which unfortunately means that there is no internal test socket for the customer.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Csanctowrote:

Corded phone test isnt crackling but does have a low hum similar to someone with a desk fan a couple of meters away when I run quiet line..Is this unusual?

Mmm. Which points to either an external line fault or, an issue with connections in your home telephone network.   Did the hum have the same tone as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM1yjpnOG50    This is mains hum and points to electrical devices, externally or in the house close to a poor telephone cable that is acting as an antenna and picking it up.

What was the issue at exchange you mentioned?  Did they explain the solution? It appears too coincidental that the problem occurred and performance dropped.  I am guessing they solved it but created another problem during the fix.

If Openreach (via EE callout) can diagnose the phone line fault to be externally then that'll be good. If it transpires it is internal, and maybe due to wired phone extensions, then they might possibly consider it your fault.  That is why it would be good to establish where your master/first socket is. Everything connected beyond the external box is not Openreach's responsibility, but the engineer may be pragmatic and just disconnect extensions to eliminate the issue.

by Csancto Contributor
Contributor

Yes the hum matches that sound. They didnt mention what the fault was but I can certainly ask. Ive got an open call as they have asked BT to lool into but but yes I feel its no coincidence performance has dropped since the initial issue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.