by hmck1234 Investigator
Investigator

Adding a hard drive to my smart hub

Hi, I have a new hard drive I'd like to use with my smart hub for home file sharing on my mac's.  I have plugged it in, and it is visible.  I don't want to connect as a guest, but as a Registered User for which it asks for my Name & Password.  I've tried different things, but having no luck.  Where can I access the needed info?  Have I missed something really quite obvious?!?!?

Help would be appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Adding a hard drive to my smart hub

Plugged it into what? Ethernet or USB?

Have you tried a Username & Pwd from your Mac?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by hmck1234 Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried my pac user name and passoword, that doesn't work. 

I have it plugged into the usb port. It's visible in my Network, when I choose it to connect, a window opens saying "Enter your name and password for the server "eesmarthub", then two options - Connect as a Guest or Registered User.  When choosing Registered User it asks for my Name & Password, which is what I"m struggling with.  

by Grand Master
Grand Master

As far as I can see there is no option to set a Username & pwd on the USB drive. So it'll have to be "Guest". What is asking "Connect as a Guest or Registered User"?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by hmck1234 Investigator
Investigator

In Finder, when clicking on "eesmarthub" in Network, there is a visible file "usb1".  When I click on that it then asks if I want to connect as a "Guest" or as a "Registered User".  If I connect as "Guest" no further info is required, and I can add files to "usb1"  If I try and connect as "Registered User" it then asks for name and password.   I've attached a screen shot of the window (xxxxxxxxxxxxxx automatically in name).Screenshot 2019-10-08 at 13.44.33.png

The reason for asking, and trying to connect as a "registered user", is that when I had the drive originally connected directly to my mac I put a few files on.  Then I connected it to my hub, and could not see those files, just the "usb1" file.   I then added some files while connected to the hub, as a guest user.  To test it, I then ejected it and plugged it back into my mac.  I could then see the files I had added directly from my mac, but not the "usb1" folder and the files I had added to it when plugged into the hub/router. 

I just want to make sure that whether the drive is connected directly to one of my macs, or to my hub/router, all files could be seen from all devices, so was presuming I would need to connect as a registered when connect through the hub.  

Sorry, hope that makes sense - new to this! Your help is appreciated!!

[Image rejected due to it containing personal information]

by hmck1234 Investigator
Investigator

I've tried re-attaching the image, without my personal data.  Would be great to hear back from you @XRaySpeX re this and my commend re access and files seen from my mac and when attached directly to the router, and not seeing everything. 

Ta 

Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 09.23.39.png

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.