Highlighted
by SonofRojBlake

Access HDD connected to USB on BrightBox from Win10 PC?

This is probably the wrong forum, but I can't see an appropriate looking one in the list.

I have an HDD connected to the USB port on my BrightBox1R. I have my music collection on it, and am successfully sharing it to a Sonos wireless speaker. So far, so good.

Is it possible to "see" the contents of that drive from a Win10 PC connected by Ethernet to the BrightBox? Is it possible to write directly to that drive? If so, how?

Two reasons:

1. When I get new music on the PC, if I want it shareable to the Sonos right now I have to disconnect the HDD, plug it in the PC, transfer the files, unplug and plug it back into the router. Not efficient!

2. If I can write to an HDD connected to the router, I can use it as an external backup drive/NAS.

Please help!

I have tried to do "Map Network Drive", but I got this error message, which I'll be honest might as well be written in Cantonese:

"You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack.
Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747"

Any suggestions?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Access HDD connected to USB on BrightBox from Win10 PC?

@SonofRojBlake : Enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support in Windows Features. Win 10 started disabling this sometime in its life. This will fix it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@SonofRojBlake : Enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support in Windows Features. Win 10 started disabling this sometime in its life. This will fix it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

by kurtph1969 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Are there any plans to update the latest Brightbox routers to work with SMB 2?

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.