Highlighted
by SparkyDan555
Explorer

AP Isolation on EE Smart Hub

Hi,

I have an EE smart hub with DHCP turned off as I have a seperate DHCP server (based on openwrt) connected via ethernet. I also have another router running openwrt that acts as an access point. Clients that connnect via the access point are able to see the DHCP server and obtain an IP address (so my DHCP server is working) but clients that choose to connect via the Wireless AP of the EE hub cannot see the DHCP server and fail to obtain an IP address.

Clients that are wired to the smart hub are able to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server. This leads me to suspect that the smart hub is "isolating" wireless clients to stop them accessing the wired network whilst still being able to access the internet. This means the clients cannot access the DHCP server on the wired network and so they fail to obtain an IP. This leaves me with 2 questions:

1. Can someone confirm whether or not the EE Smart Hub has Wireless Isolation (aka Client or AP Isolation) enabled by default?
  2. Assuming this feature is enabled, is there any way to disable it to allow wireless devices to communicate with devices on the wired network?

Many thanks for your help

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: AP Isolation on EE Smart Hub

It's funny, that over on the BT Community there is no talk of any separation between the Ethernet & WiFi networks of the BT SH but it is stated for all BT Hubs that the free BTWiFi/Openzone network is isolated from everything else. So I do wonder when they rebadged the BT SH for EE if they left something wrongly in?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
3 REPLIES 3
by Grand Master
Grand Master

1. It would seem like it. On a BrightBox a wired PC can access shared files of a wireless PC & v.v. easily. With a EE SH neither can see each other.
  2. There is no setting to disable this.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

It's funny, that over on the BT Community there is no talk of any separation between the Ethernet & WiFi networks of the BT SH but it is stated for all BT Hubs that the free BTWiFi/Openzone network is isolated from everything else. So I do wonder when they rebadged the BT SH for EE if they left something wrongly in?

by SparkyDan555
Explorer

That's very much a possibility. It makes sense that the openzone network is isolated from the users own network. Since the EE smart hub is a clone of the BT HH6 / Smart Hub, it is possible that "feature" has been carried accross to the EE firmware. All behaviour on my network would suggest the EE router is definitely isolating wireless clients - airplay not working, not being able to access network storage when connected wirelessly, wireless clients not able to access DHCP server etc... Since EE haven't provided the functionality to turn off this "feature" I will be swapping my router to a third party router that does not isolate wireless clients.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.