by geoffr79 Investigator
Investigator

4GEE Router Query

Hi all

I am thinking about getting the 4GEE home router as my tradititional broadband speeds are really slow and BT does look like upgrading the infrasctructure near me any time soon.

I would just like some feedback on this device and service provided if anyone out there has one?

From since I last looked in seems the prices have dropped slightly is this likely to happen again?

I was looking to get the 50GB package then upgrade to 100GB as I am told you can always go back to what you started with if you find the 100GB is too much, but if you start on 100GB you can only go Higher.  TBH I am pretty heavy user so 100GB with probaly be needed. Or is this in correct?

Has anyone used this with a PS4\Xbox and had any problems with multiplayer gaming?

Has the router got a LAN port so I can connect it to my local network via ethernet?

Can you get into the routers config and do such basics as reserving IPs for devices etc?

I read that port forwarding is no go due to the nature of the carriers nat is that still the case?

Probaly most importantly does it work ok with VPNS, as I sometimes work from home I need to connect to VPNS frequently.

Is the connection throttled at all or do you get full download speed all of the time?  

Does EE have any restrictions on its internet access for users?

And finally any opinions are welcome on this device bare in mind that the only other option I have is satelite (no good for gaming and £££) or limp along with my slow ADSL connection.

Thanks

Geoff

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 4GEE Router Query

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

You can config the router but these MBB routers are not as versatile as proper BB routers. It probably does not do port forwarding or LAN IP reservation.

It has 1 Ethernet port.

Before getting 1 get an EE SIM for your phone to try out the EE signal in your home.

If you would like help with your speed or connection issues on your existing ADSL BB, please would you carry out the steps and provide the data as requested in the Need Help with Your Home Broadband Speed or Connection? sticky. This will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee

Hi @GeoffR and welcome to the community.

Hope you found the guide written by @XRaySpeX of great help.

Many thanks,

Lee

by geoffr79 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Lee

Sorry I must of missed it, what guide?  Would be great to see a guide on the 4Gee router.

Geoff

by geoffr79 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks XraySpeX

Great info.  The EE signal in my home on my phone is great so shouldnt be a problem.  Sadly nothing can be done about my adsl, too far from Exchange.  Shame you cant reserve any IPs on the router.  I guess I could plug it into a cabled routers WAN port and use its functions.

Thanks

Geoff

by
EE Employee

Hi @geoffr79

The guide is what @XRaySpeX links to in his above post.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.