by Granty Investigator
Investigator

1 Phone line for 2 properties?

I recently had open reach around to install a new phone line though looking at the front of the house for the first time today they seem to have just connected up to some kind of old splitter on my neighbors wall and used his line. 
Is this normal and will it effect my broadband speed at all? If not i cant help but wonder why every other house has it's own line (apart from mine) 😞 
Is the £50 charge still applicable if they haven't put a new line up too? 

On another note the black wire on my white house which turns 6 times is also baffling me, especially given my phone socket is on the front of the house behind the TV, for some reason they pinned to the opposite side of the house and have done the scenic route around the front door and under the window? 

10 REPLIES 10
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: 1 Phone line for 2 properties?

Most houses have a pair of lines coming to them. Usually 1 is unused. As you did not already have any line to your house, it looks like they picked up the neighbour's spare (with his permission I wonder?). The BB on 1 line will not be affected by the other.

I expect you will be charged for a "New line install".

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Granty Investigator
Investigator

The neighbor is old and unwell, lost his wife last year but i get on with him, i doubt very much he will have been asked. 
Many houses down here have been turned into flats, If that one did would that still be my line? if i have to pay £50 i would hope so! Though it is on his house, even my wire is running up his house initially which would be a bit of a cheek if they haven't asked.

by Granty Investigator
Investigator

111.jpg222.jpg

by Granty Investigator
Investigator

Here are some photos.
Is that above acceptable as a new line install, why is there a splitter box if there is meant to be 2 seperate lines? I'm concerned if/when my neighbours sell up that the lines are needed by that property, where do I stand then? 
I could have fitted that wire so much neater myself too, I don't think it's necessary to run it all over he front of the house as it could have just been straight down

by Granty Investigator
Investigator

111.jpgAre these photos even showing?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

They had to be approved by a Mod. They should all show soon.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @Granty

So I can get this approved, will you send the last image again. 

Katie 🙂

by Granty Investigator
Investigator

Thanks, I think they are showing now. (Last one is just same as another as thought had failed)
Is the splitter box normal, do I still have my own separate line as it looks like 1 phone line shared to the 2 houses?

Do you think the route over the front of the house is acceptable, personally i hate unnecessary wiring, could have gone along top and down if had to join to this side but I still really don't get how every house as far as I can see has its own line except for mine after paying £50 for a new install?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's OK, @Katie_B , I approved it a few moments back.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Openreach have just used a spare pair, nothing wrong with it, and no permission needed from anyone. It's still a new line and requires work from Openreach to connect it at your local cab and at your house.

The route used may be questionable though! Shame they couldn't use white cabling.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.