by lucybaileywest
Explorer

upgrading phone without losing credit

I have built up over £150 worth of credit on my phone through monthly pay as you go top-ups.  I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace, which I would like to upgrade to a Samsung J3.  If I continue with PAYG or switch to a monthly contract, will I lose my credit?  I'm hoping not as long as I remain an EE/Orange customer and I keep the same phone number.

8 REPLIES 8
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: upgrading phone without losing credit

@lucybaileywest   You're credit should be transferred over to your account if you move to a payment for the contract.  

The best way to make sure this does happen is to go to your local store or call customer services as this would not be an upgrade but a new contract. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

& if you stay on PAYG you just move your SIM to the new phone if it fits. If it doesn't you get a replacement SIM with the same no. The credit resides on the SIM's mobile no., not the phone itself.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by lucybaileywest
Explorer

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your quick response.  When I went into the EE store at Brent Cross in London, I was told that I could only transfer a maximum of £30 credit to a new phone.  But I find that hard to believe if I keep a contract with EE/Orange.  At the moment, I'm only on PAYG, but I would consider taking out a contract to get the Samsung J3.  I was told the best deal would be £120 for the phone and a one year contract of £10pm.  But even then I could only transfer £30 of my credit, which would mean losing over £120.

I've been offered a better deal with Virgin, which I'll take up unless I can transfer all of my credit over to the J3 with EE/Orange.

Is your answer an official EE/Orange answer or just a kind member of the public answer?

Thank you.

Lucy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

We are just users, like you, who happen to know about such things.

For an official EE stance I'll try & get you the attention of 1 of the EE staff here. @Karen_C, can you help?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by lucybaileywest
Explorer

Thank you Grand Master (good title, by the way!).

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @lucybaileywest it's because Orange is a separate brand entirely and it means taking it out of Oranges pot and placing it in T-Mobile/EE's. Up to £30 can be accounted for, anything higher than that becomes tricky. Have you spoken to customer service on 450 from your Orange phone or 07973 100 450 from any other about this? The Orange team will be able to help you and are the best place to find out what options you have 🙂
by lucybaileywest
Explorer

Thanks Tom, I will try 450 

by samwell293 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Your best bet is to just leave EE all together! 

They just lie lie to all their customers and only think about taking money and not how to treat their customers! 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.