Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

upgrade to sim only - early upgrade

Hi I've only got one month left on my contract and I'm looking to upgrade to a 12 month sim only deal. Can you upgrade to another contract at any time during these 12 months and can family and friends discount be applied on the sim only deals?

thanks

24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Re: upgrade to sim only - early upgrade

Hi,

EE’s website states:

If you’re on a pay monthly SIM plan, you can upgrade to a handset plan after three months. And after six months on a 12-month SIM only plan, we’ll give you £20 towards the cost of your new handset.

Just call 150 or go into your local EE store to discuss.

Regarding the friends and family discount, you cannot apply it to any promotional price plans. For example, currently EE is running £24.99 for 30GB, this price plan is not eligible for the friends and family discount. You can phone 150 and the upgrade team will advise you with sim only plans that are eligible for friends and family discount. 

W

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for helping @winston

Let us know if you have any other questions @Donna-1318

Have a lovely Christmas and New Year 🙂

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Thank you

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

No problem @Donna-1318

Come back anytime 🙂

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Hello I have a 12 month sim only plan, after how many bills can I upgrade to a handset? Many thanks 

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I think it’s after 6 months.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Gwaziman001  It will depend on how long you’ve been a EE customer for.   The longest time you have to wait is 6 months but you’ll need to call customer services to find out. 

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

I have paid 4 bills, I do have two lines one is a handset just want to upgrade this sim only to a phone, do you know how much early upgrade fees are for sim only? Many thanks 

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I think if your going from sim only to a new phone contract you don’t have to pay an early upgrade fee

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Gwaziman001 If you’ve only paid 4 months EE will request you pay off the rest of the contract in full.  You have to wait until EE allow you to upgrade and not before unless you pay it off.  

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Does that stand if you upgrade to a handset  plan? Regards 

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Gwaziman001  It will only stand if EE say you can not upgrade to a full contract yet.     If you’ve only made  4 payments then EE will not allow you to upgrade to full contract yet and you’ll have to wait to at least six months, your only option to get around this will be to pay off the contract you have now.    

The 6 month rule only stands if EE allow it to stand they still might not say it’s possible just yet for you and you’ll need to call customer services and find out.  

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

It didn’t apply to me when I was on a sim only plan, I just upgraded to a handset plan, no problem, no fee

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Seanduds1  

EE if they allow you to upgrade to a full contract don’t require you to pay off the contract you have now. 

If you not in a upgrade to a full contract time frame then you have to pay off the contract to take out a full contract or wait till the full contract time fame to change to a full contract. 

The standard period is 6 months but this is not a guarantee to all customers.  It can be as low as 3 months and for me I had no waiting time and I could of got a full contract the next day after taking out my sim only.   

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

That’s what I mean, the sim only contract I was on allowed me to upgrade to a full phone contract at anytime with no fee, which I did, but I had to take a new 24 month contract out.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Seanduds1  When you upgrade even from a sim only to a full contract you have to start a new contract and these are as standard 24 months.   Your other sim only still might be a 6 month before you can upgrade to a full contract.  It’s best to call customer services to find out though.  If you can upgrade it to a full contract you’ll not have to pay off the sim only  but you’ll only have to pay and upfront cost of the new handset of the new contract,   you need to call customer services to find out as you might even have a time limit of 3 months before you can upgrade to full contract on this sim only. 

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

That’s what I was trying to explain to @Gwaziman001, he might be able to move from sim only to a full phone contract with no buy out fee.

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

I will call them tomorrow, as the sim only was my first line and they let me add a 2nd line on the 18th which was a iPhone 8 Plus, so I hope they will let me upgrade the sim only to a handset line also.

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

You can only try @Gwaziman001, let us know how you get on.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.