Highlighted
by lizfield Established Contributor
Established Contributor

how to unblock firewall and ports to be able to access thinpoint

I am trying to access my workplace remote access and I have been asked to check that I have no firewall/ports blocked on my router. How?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: how to unblock firewall and ports to be able to access thinpoint

All incoming ports are blocked by the router. If a Brightbox, you unblock them by Port Forwarding . Unless you are running your own servers you are unlikely to need this for accessing your workplace, if that's what you mean.

Port 25 SMTP outgoing is blocked by EE, other than its own and also NETBIOS..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
15 REPLIES 15
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

All incoming ports are blocked by the router. If a Brightbox, you unblock them by Port Forwarding . Unless you are running your own servers you are unlikely to need this for accessing your workplace, if that's what you mean.

Port 25 SMTP outgoing is blocked by EE, other than its own and also NETBIOS..

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Thank you. I'll pass the info to the tech guys at work. But I don't really know enough myself about how to get remote access via thinpoint. It just won't connect though it did until last week. They said check that no firewall or ports blocked?
Ta

Sent from my iPad
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Do you have ADSL BB or Fibre? Are you trying to use a VPN?

Established Contributor

Ordinary broadband via bright box router. I looked up thinpoint and it says it is a vpn. Also says it doesn't require any changes to firewall or NAT or ports. Not sure what that all tells me. Thanks

Sent from my iPad
Established Contributor

After disabling the router firewall to access work remote access, now I can't get back to the page to enable it.

Established Contributor

After disabling my brightbox router firewall to try to access work remote, now I can't get back to the router page.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Risky disabling firewalls. That's what they are there for.

You should be able to get back to change anything, by logging in at http://192.168.1.1 .

Established Contributor

Yes I see now, complete disaster - and that link doesn't let me back in. What a mess! Liz Field

Sent from my iPad
by Grand Master
Grand Master

All you can do then is factory reset the router.

Established Contributor

Sent from my iPad
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@lizfield ???

by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the Community @lizfield

Is there anything we can help with?

Many thanks,

Lee

Established Contributor

Sorry - I clicked by mistake. New router delivered, firewall problem solved.
Ta

Sent from my iPad
Established Contributor

Thank you to EE. New router delivered to solve the firewall problem. Is the green bag/envelope for sending old one back? Or just throw it away?

Liz Field

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, if it's a Brightbox. EE own it.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.