by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: coming to the end of February and still no nougat for s7 edge

So you think EE are intentionally holding back updates for no apparent reason.  If that's what you think then you are implying that EE have this update ready to go and for no reason what's so ever other than to just annoy their customers EE are not going to release it.      Do you really think that EE want to annoy their customer base.  

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I believe due to EE policy and products updates are being delayed to an unacceptable level and there is a choice to leave as is and not improve the business and customer experience.

But to answer your question in a large majority of cases i believe EE could release updates and choose not to.  I have proof in the experience of the customers all over this forum and no proof to say they're not.  Even devices without network impacting changes have updates delayed such as older S4 and S5. Why?

As the manager said last week "you're not going to get any movement on the S6 as the S8 is out soon".

So i feel a clear policy would be best.  One that (if this is the case) states phones of a certain life will not be supported and EE will remove any hold carrier or firmware they have on the device if a customer chooses. That why people can still get manufacturers updates on devices no longer or EE unwilling to support in a satisfactory manner with a caveat some EE features may be missed (all other T&Cs will not be effected).  Yes this sounds like BTU but most customers do not want or have the skills and experience to mess about with firmware updating.

The business should produce a choice if they are limiting it in any way at all...

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Just confirmed by a user of the Pixel all updates Google release are on their EE Pixels with in days.  There is no delay with this device even though it is bought through EE and on an EE contract.  The choice EE has made with this Android device is different to the others, why?

The Pixel has voice over wifi and LTE and full network roaming across masts..

From what i can see the S7 and others also has voice over wifi and LTE and full network roaming across masts and yet the user experience is totally different.. why

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I might be mistaken but I thought that pixel updates come from Google as it's their OS and device and not via EE just like with iOS that comes from Apple not EE 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

This is the same situation for all Android devices unless the carrier insists on changes to suit their needs. Whether that is extra software or changes made to the OS to work their network.

It seems EE have requested no changes to the Pixels firmware yet the device works perfectly..    A manager made clear last week NO UPDATES come from EE they are made and dispatched by the manufacturers only.  EE have no involvement in the sending out of updates 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Then perhaps perhaps it's Samsung who are dragging their heels with this update.  Don't forget it's their device but googles OS.  

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

It could be Samsung who are taking their time to release the EE specific build of the OS and HTC and LG and Huawei and Sony and every other manufacturer of an Android phone. Or it could be EE are asking for changes without a contract or SLA so these manufacturers have no need or want to make resulting in long delays and frustrated users.   This has been confirmed by the way last week....

The fix EE changes policy.

by neils31 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

If memory serves me correctly the pixel is only sold with manilla software from google (probably the same with apple?) hence they get the updates immediately upon release from google.

If your concerned on how efficient / caring EE are with their customers. take a look at the Note 7 recall thread - it will definately make your mind up 🙂

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The Pixel is Googles first real attempt and the Apple way of handling OS updates and i suspect Google insisted EE keep their hands off to maintain control as Apple do.   This only highlights the issues for the rest of us Android users who have to put up with changes EE insist of having to OS builds resulting in hugely delayed OS updates and months (almost a year behind for S6) security updates.

EE have chosen to only update security features when there is an OS update.  I'm sure you can see the flaw in this policy and this is something i'm trying to get changed.  I've been made aware EE have contacted Samsung to change this, but last week i had this contradicted.  Those lucky Pixel owners 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@neils31  The note 7 recall was requested/ordered  by Samsung to all note 7 customers EE only carried out that request.   

To my knowledge no one actually used their right to terminate the contract at no cost because their device was recalled.  The device is part of the contract and the contract becomes void if you are required to return part of that contract.    I might be wrong that some didn't but no one said anything on here about do it.    

Established Contributor

@Chris_B

I dont Care who ordered it to be done, the way it was handled by EE was terrible - they didnt care as long as their customer did all the running to sort out the mess

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@neils31   Oh you wanted a personal pick up service.  Lol.   EE can only take the device when you give them the device.   

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I was told by a manager last week the Note 7 recall was an EE thing when EE got together with other carriers to tell Samsung they weren't happy there wasn't a recall and it was the first time the carriers made a manufacturer make a change..

This came after a question about contracts between EE and manufacturers and how there must be one and an SLA for updates etc.

So is this not true...  

Established Contributor

@Chris_B

Seriously thats your reply when A company supplies customers with a dangerous device, which could have easily blown up in your VR headset whilst your using it and your coming back with that reply ......... grow up!!

EE then delay the exchange of the unit because they are carrying out "their own safety checks" but happy days they do exchange it, which was hand delivered by the way by a personal pick up service.

but wait the device they have spent time carrying out "their own Safety checks" is recalled about 4 days later because it is still dangerous, but this time time we will pop a plastic bag in the post,,, but wait again NO postage service will ship it,   I could go on and on but you go educate yourself with the issues on the thread

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@neils31 The device that was made by Samsung is EE's fault it was flawed  and was supplied by Samsung for all networks worldwide.  Must be EE's fault because Samsung made faulty batteries and then when another battery manufacturer also made faulty batteries on the first recall to Samsung specs must be EE's fault also.  

Yes yes it's all EE's fault that Samsung made a faulty/dangerous device and allows the networks to sell these to their customers.  

Just to point out it's up to the curries if they are willing to take the device because it's a risk.   And the Royal Mail will not allow you to post batteries.  

Did hear about the fire at a Samsung  facility  ? it was caused by faulty batteries.   

Anyway this thread is not about that device so back on topic if we could. 

Established Contributor

@Chris_B

I am not disputing that the phone fault lies with Samsung - they have already publicly dealt with that.

The customer service for the recall was down to EE the company who supplied to me, their customer, the one they have a contract with, the comapany I pay every month, NOT Samsung.

I can tell you just like to have the last word, so I will not be replying to anymore of your posts on this matter, you are obviously an EE fanboy so hopefully they will give you your fourth star for loyalty (they wont give you anything else for loyalty these days).

by Grand Master
Grand Master

So back on topic if we could as this thread is not about that device.   Thank you.  

by Galactus Contributor
Contributor

1. The reason Nougat is delayed on EE is most certainly down to them. They have requested changes to the stock UK base (as have three, Vodafone, o2 etc) with the difference being that Three allow Volte on stock UK firmware. EE does not.  

2. EE specially asked Samsung to remove volte from stock UK firmware when it was originally enabled on the Nougat beta. It has nothing to do with multiple masts or being three companies in one etc. Samsung beta employees literally stated that EE don't want unlocked users (ie those who didn't buy the handset from EE) being allowed to use volte.

3. The EE custom ROM will only contain the same carrier information that is inside the beta 1 carrier file (CSC) which users can flash themselves alongside stock nougat firmware using the Samsung flashing tool "ODIN" which does not void warranty.

4. The lines of code that separate EE firmware from other firmware is roughly 50 lines. With around 25 of those simply being "true" or "false". Example: <CscFeature_IMS_EnableVoLTE>true</CscFeature_IMS_EnableVoLTE>

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Thank you for that information.

Please can you use the chat feature and raise a complaint.

Contact the admin manager on here and raise the issue.

And continue to support other people of this forum asking for information about the delays so it is not brushed under the carpet by long term forum users with a generic updates supporting this poor service.

Mark 

by Galactus Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately it would take a TON of people to complain about updates before something is done. It doesn't help that despite users wanting security updates, most users are fine even with security updates from last year, with the most vulnerable being those who decide to download . apk files from various other "sources".

Samsung have typically kept to their end of the deal in terms of releasing monthly security updates, and Samsung employees are known to have said things along the lines of "if you want timely updates we suggest you purchase your device from us directly". Once networks get involved it all goes pear-shaped. 

VoLTE works on the iPhone simply because Apple have told all carriers around the world that you cannot touch their firmware. They'll make sure it works on your network but beyond that, every iPhone must behave the same. Google also had the "grapefruits" to tell networks that they cannot touch their firmware. Samsung unfortunately are happy to bend to the networks will (As are most Android smartphone companies).

Reminds me of the old T Mobile days where they tried to tell me I could only get 256Kbps speed on 3g because I didn't buy the phone directly from them. Oddly enough though I'm not on Nougat anymore anyways. Battery life has taken a tumble for a ton of users. The first firmware released for the S7/Edge (March 2016) is actually the most battery optimised. Ridiculous.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.