by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Your phone and EEs firmware, Why?

All

We all know the situation and we've all been affected by it.

In short the firmware EE is having installed on the devices we purchase is causing delays in OS and security updates.

There's no need to go over how this affects the customer as this has been covered many many times in threads here and for a long long time.. But why?

Why is information so hard to get from EE
Why does EE carry on with this type of firmware and system

Other carriers have listened and reacted to customers feedback and created ETA pages for software updates or allow staff to give accurate non generic updates to questions asked..

Today i also find this..

https://telekomhilft.telekom.de/t5/Blog/Smartphone-Branding-war-gestern-Heute-entscheidet-ihr-was-au...

So T Mobile Germany have listened and have decided to change the firmware it asks to be installed so updates can be passed on as soon as possible and its doing this for all manufacturers

They sum it up with "So in summary: more freedom of choice, direct firmware updates from the manufacturer and more space for your other applications."

So come on EE why aren't you doing anything like this?
What is the big secret you're afraid to tell your customers?

Why?

9 REPLIES 9
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Your phone and EEs firmware, Why?

@Bellyman  Some devices need EE firmware to have wifi calling for a start and if you want a none branded device with wifi calling there is only a few devices you can choose.  ( but you already know this ). And nothing is stopping you from choosing one of these devices it’s just you might have to purchase it outright instead of paying for it each month ( again you already know this )   

And what other networks do is up to them.  EE are not breaking any law or any rules by not pushing out in a timely manor any updates and your contract doesn’t include device updates.  

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

All correct but why ?

Why chose to be a hindrance to your customer and not make changes to better the service, there must be a reason.

Also why keep it all so secret and restrict staff to standard template replies.

--

Like i said we all know but what we don't know is why?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Bellyman

It's obvious really 

• They can retain products such as volte to just EE firmware;
  • Because of the above customers will buy phones from EE 
  • They can exclude certain products and services, and include others from commercial partners 

In reality most people don't care as they either buy an iPhone , have their own device,  upgrade every two years or simply don't care as they don't know how to use their device anyway.

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Also as you may have noticed recently that having unbranded doesn't mean you get the latest software first.

Unbranded UK S8+ received the final release Oreo few days ago. Well after Vodafone Three etc. Yes ok EE hasn't released yet but having unbranded doesn't mean you get it fast.

And every tech savvy person can just flash other firmware onto the device anyway.

I don't get why you are on such a stampede with all of this. This is done for business reasons. EE are here to make money and restricting services for devices bought elsewhere is the best way

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10 Beta)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Bellyman   It appears that your on a one man crusade just to troll these forums.  I’m not saying you are ( but you was posting like this last year ) but every post from you is exactly like this one as you seem to think EE owes you some sort of explanation for the way they go about updates.  You’ll get it when EE push it out and it’s as simple as that.   

by Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

I think there is an issue with EE, that's lack of transparency. It is possible to have branded firmware and provide reasonably quick updates and be transparent about the processes. (ie. "Under test", "Received for testing", "  preparing for roll-out" etc

EE do themselves no favours, when referring to security updates, by repeating the mantra "Your phone will notify you when it's ready". That might be acceptable for feature updates but not for security.

I would suggest buying a handset SIM free or from a third party (you'll often get a better deal). About the only thing you'll miss is Volte as many handsets are now compatible with Wi-fi calling.

This is true consumer choice / capitalism. If in the future fewer people buy direct from EE then they'll want to know why. On the other hand, it might benefit them to continue branding as long as the manufacturers allow it.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

There you go if you haven't been made aware the S8 firmware from EE has been released today.

Heres to next year when Android P comes out and these threads start again.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

None of us want a repeat of the year on year posting of threads looking for information and the same standard template answers being rolled out.

All of us want a better service but for some reason EE will not change and don't want to improve. Yes it takes time but this has been years with  year on year the same issues .

Worse still is the silence and not accepting there is an issue at all, all the while other carriers listen and make changes.

Here's The Verge talking about the T Mobile change and as i've posted before there are many carriers willing to give more information

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17142246/t-mobile-bloatware-customer-apps-android

So why not EE?

My issue isn't the service its great.  Its why there's no want to improve and address the issues and question that are so obviously there.    EE owe me nothing but the service i am paying for but they do owe it to their customers to listen and a templated reply is not listening and after so long you have to ask, why?

Highlighted
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Bellymanwrote:

EE owe me nothing but the service i am paying for but they do owe it to their customers to listen and a templated reply is not listening and after so long you have to ask, why?

You hit the nail on the head there. They owe you nothing but the service you are paying for.

You are not paying for updates. So your tirade and trolling is not needed.

The staff on here are giving the correct information. It is not templates to cover things up. When it is ready it will appear on your phone.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.