by Mykbee0
Visitor

Wifi calling has stopped working after 7.0 update

Hi, I have recently updated my S7 edge to android 7.0 nougat, my handset is directly from EE and always on stock firmware.

My WIFI calling has stopped working since the update, i have the option in settings but the symbol does not come up on the phone and wifi calling does not work

I have no signal at home so rely 100% on WIFI calling. How can i fix this?

Thanks

Mike

15 REPLIES 15
by
EE Employee

Re: Wifi calling has stopped working after 7.0 update

Good Morning @Mykbee0

Welcome to the Community! Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear you're having issues with WiFi Calling after the update.

How did you do the update?

Have you tried re-booting your device?

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Karen_C

Has EE released Android 7 Nougat on the S7 now? 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Mykbee0

Try factory resting your phone as you should do after any major software update. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by
EE Employee

I'm just trying to find out @Northerner

Smiley Happy

by ynot68 Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi how did you update your phone.

As far as i know nougat has not been released on ee yet.

Many thanks

by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @ynot68

Thank you for posting again in community 🙂

Your handset will receive a notification when this is available.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by alitech Investigator
Investigator

Did a little research on this and there is someone who has been able to get wifi calling working on the Nougat BTU firmware on Vodafone. 

Please check message 12 on this page:

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Android/Samsung-S7-Edge-Nougat-update-Android7-0/td-p/2544965

It seems that once wifi calling is activated from the network, only then is the option available on the firmware. 

So basically the other way around from what the instructions are on the EE wifi calling help pages. On EE, we need to find the option for wifi calling, click activate which then sends a signal to the network to activate it and then it takes 24 hours. 

From a vodafone perspective, it seems you need the network to provide the option so that the firmware is forced to show the option. 

Does this make sense?

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

The poster obviously has BTU (unbranded firmware)

Does EE allow you to use their EE WiFi Calling without EE firmware? I thought not, unless they have changed this.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Highlighted
by alitech Investigator
Investigator

Northerner has confirmed that wifi calling should work on unbranded BTU firmwares as well. However it has not been confirmed for Nougat. 

What I would like is for someone in EE to activate Wifi calling for me so that I can see if the option appears on my phone. 

I have an unbranded phone so I upgraded to the latest Nougat BTU firmware.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

You will get a quicker response on 150.

When theyf irst announced WiFi Calling I remember it was EE firmware only and certain handsets. I guess they have changed that.

It should be an easy thing to do for the EE CS team on the phone.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by bignose2 Contributor
Contributor

Hi, not quite the same issue & I have posted my fix under a different thread but mine is sgs7e direct branded from EE but whilst I found the option to turn on wifi calling it only rarely connected after nougat update, was 100% before 7.0.

Anyway, connecting using a static IP on any wifi AP's made it all work & connect immediately. 

I'm sure you know but forget AP, reconnect, advanced, pick IP you know! Is used elsewhere, gateway(router Ip) I left dns as is. 

I have not idea why not work on dhcp but if I go back it stops working again. 

by jez6363 Investigator
Investigator

Spent half the day finding the problem and have now fixed it.

First - make sure you know where the option to turn wifi calling on is - it moved and you now go click on the Phone icon, go to the 3-bar menu / Settings and scroll to the bottom to enable it. It is worth turning it off and on again, just in case that fixes your problem. It didn't help me as the problem was the router - read on.

When wifi calling is working, you get a little wifi icon with a phone symbol next to it, on Android (iPhone says Wifi Calling or something like that).

I found that wifi calling worked if I put my sim into an iPhone 5S, which made me (possibly) erroneously think the problem was the Android S7 with nougat.

BUT when I went somewhere with different wifi, it magically worked with the S7. Not sure if it works on McDonalds wifi - this was a local restaurants wifi - but maybe worth trying a few places.

Upshot is that Android with nougat seems to use wifi differently to iPhone or earlier versions of Android, and it hits problems with routers.

On your router, the option you need to find is ALG / IPSEC and turn it off. ALG (Application Level Gateway) is something to do with setting up things like VPNs and so on.

My router was a Billion 8800NL which has it enabled by default (the option is in Configuration / NAT / ALG and you will find the IPSEC option is set to Enabled by default - needs latest firmware to see the option). I turned the option off and magically both our phones started working with wifi calling (just had to turn wifi off and on again on the phones).

Other routers may have the same option. I read than an older billion router, 7800, needs a firmware update to turn off IPSEC, and the 8800NL needs a firmware update to get the option.

Quite why iPhones and older Android didn't hit the problem, with the same router, is beyond me - perhaps a problem in nougat rejecting the wifi for calling because of some invalid check.

Jez Kenyon

by
EE Employee

Good Morning @jez6363

Thanks for posting your findings!

Hopefully this will help other users that are experiencing issues with certain routers.

Have a lovely weekend!

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by
EE Employee

Hi @jez6363

S&Dcommunity_champion (1).png

Thanks for taking the time to share this with the community - it's great to have people sharing information that could help others, it's what the community is all about!

As a thank you from us, I’d love to treat you to dinner!

I'll send you a Private Message to get some additional details.

Hope to see you around in the future!

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Very Happy

by Russsauntry
Visitor

Jez,

Cheers buddy, worked perfectly! For others on Netgear, log on to your control panel, go to Advanced tab. Click on 'Setup'. Click on 'WAN setup' and it's at the bottom!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.