by snackfiller Contributor
Contributor

Wifi calling even with good reception

Hi,

I've just moved over from Three, who introduced native Wifi Calling earlier in the year. With their version, I could enable Wifi Calling, but it would only be actively enabled (appearing in the status bar) when reception was poor or non-existent. I liked this and thought it was the default behaviour for all Wifi Calling providers on iPhones.

However, having just moved to EE, it seems Wifi Calling is always actively enabled when it's turned on. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Where possible, I would like to use my regular mobile connection for voice and text. I only want Wifi Calling as a backup, and ideally I want it as an automatic backup.

But on EE it seems I would have to manually enable and disable Wifi Calling as I enter and leave areas with poor/non-existent reception, which is a shame.

Is my assessment correct or is there anything I can do to return to the behaviour I saw on Three but with EE? 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Re: Wifi calling even with good reception

Yes, you are correct, When EE WiFi Calling is enabled, it overrides cellular all the time unless it's turned off or the WiFi drops.

EE WiFi calling will hand-off to and from 4G calling (VoLTE) though i.e. a call will not drop if going either way between WiFi and cellular.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Yes, you are correct, When EE WiFi Calling is enabled, it overrides cellular all the time unless it's turned off or the WiFi drops.

EE WiFi calling will hand-off to and from 4G calling (VoLTE) though i.e. a call will not drop if going either way between WiFi and cellular.

View solution in original post

Contributor

Thanks. Do you know the best channel for expressing my wish for this behaviour to be different or customisable? I know they probably won't listen or care, and perhaps it's at odds with how most people want it, but may as well register it somehow.

Thanks again.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @snackfiller,

Welcome back to the EE Community.

WiFi calling taking priority is an intended feature and as @Profile closed pointed out, your calls can hand over to the 4G mobile network if necessary.

Is there anything in particular about the setup that causes you issues?

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@James_B   Having wifi calling enabled when there is a cellular signal on the device for some reason drains the battery quicker. I now when at work turn on airplane mode and my battery life has increased significantly.  @winston told me that tip.   

by

Hi @Chris_B,

I've never encountered that issue on my Pixel.

I'll mention it to our tech team in case there is a fix for this.

Thanks

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@James_B   I'll think it will be down to the phone trying to search for a signal even though it's on wifi calling.  I do get a very weak signal but I could not hold a phone call if it wasn't for wifi calling.  

by

That makes sense @Chris_B

- James Smiley Happy

Contributor

@James_B @Chris_B

There are battery life concerns. I do not know the ins and outs but maintaining the IP Sec tunnel for Wifi Calling seems unnecessary when there is good reception. Secondly, Wifi Calling doesn't allow 999 to determine your location, so should be avoided where possible. 

Both of of these concerns make it sensible to disable Wifi Calling when it isn't necessary. I hope you agree that's a good guiding princple. The question is whether this is handled automatically or not. With EE it's manual. Three's automatic approach seems more considered.

Please pass these thoughts on to the tech people if possible. Thanks!

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@James_B It's also inconvenient when I passing through places with public Wi-Fi available. 

The quality of public Wi-Fi connections can be very poor, but my phone would still connect to them and activate Wi-Fi calling. If anyone calls me during that period, the call either get high latency, or gets dropped. 

This has happened to me several times already. It's just not the best setup when you have auto connect public Wi-Fi profile provisioned on the phone. 

On the other hand, on my work phone (Three), Wi-Fi calling is only activated when there is low mobile reception, this avoids the trouble I have above. And you can also force Wi-Fi calling to be on all all time by manually enable areplane mode and then enable Wi-Fi only. 

by

Hi @snackfiller,

When making a call to the emergency services, your phone will automatically switch to the mobile network, the call will only be connected over WiFi if no mobile network is available.

I'll make sure I pass on your concerns to our WiFi calling team.

Thanks again. Smiley Happy

James

by

Thanks @winston - I'll add your feedback. Smiley Happy

- James

Highlighted
by fredrayment

I would like to add that I to would like the option to choose whether Wi-Fi or mobile calling has priority. I find Wi-Fi calling can be very poor quality compared to mobile but don't want to turn it off completely as it is useful if there is no mobile signal. Just a simple toggle switch for which has priority is all I'm asking for.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.