This page is no longer active

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Highlighted
by BadMelonFarmer Investigator
Investigator

Wifi Calling ports for QOS / Firewall?

Anyone know what ports I need to allow and prioritise via QOS for WiFi calling EE? I can't seem to find any information for EE, only information for T-Mobile US and the info I have seen is very inconsistent and non official. problem is I have about 4.5mb broadband, so the line is easily saturated ... I got around the issue with signalbox by using QOS. The symptoms on WiFi calling are drops in audio ...eg ... if I were to say "The symptoms on WiFi calling are drops in audio ." the person might hear "The on WiFi calli drops in io ." thought I should try QOS Thanks in advance
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by bluntTony
Explorer
Solution

Re: Wifi Calling ports for QOS / Firewall?

I've been looking at this myself in order to allow WiFiCall to work for our company iPhones through our firewall, and it boils down to:

UDP 500 (IKEv2)

UDP 4500 (IKEv2)

These are what I found in a packet capture and poking these holes allowed our iOS devices to connect. So these would be what you need to QOS, too.

Also see this Apple article which confirms the ports used for WiFi Calling: https://support.apple.com/et-ee/HT202944

What I can't guarantee is that this implementation is used by Android too but I'm guessing it will be.

Thanks,

Tony

8 REPLIES
Investigator

Doing some digging T-Mobile US seem to be using:

UDP:4500
TCP:5060-5061

Testing this to see if these are a "standard" for WiFi Calling
by Grand Master
Grand Master

If you find out what they are please let me know. I've been testing different ports with no luck yet I'm at the point of giving up.
Investigator

Hey Burge,

yes, of course I will do.... I will update this thread
by bluntTony
Explorer
Solution

I've been looking at this myself in order to allow WiFiCall to work for our company iPhones through our firewall, and it boils down to:

UDP 500 (IKEv2)

UDP 4500 (IKEv2)

These are what I found in a packet capture and poking these holes allowed our iOS devices to connect. So these would be what you need to QOS, too.

Also see this Apple article which confirms the ports used for WiFi Calling: https://support.apple.com/et-ee/HT202944

What I can't guarantee is that this implementation is used by Android too but I'm guessing it will be.

Thanks,

Tony

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Investigator

Great find! Thanks Tony.

Will implement this.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@bluntTony Thanks to you I now have wifi calling at my place of work. My boss has finally got this done for me. Big thanks you for doing finding out these ports.
by solveweb
Explorer

Does anyone know: Is this UDP traffic for voice wifi only, or does '3G over wifi' data run over these ports too? Does it follow that if you block these ports then '3G over wifi' would then be prevented?

UIt's not a QOS issue - I am looking to filter categorised web access at certain times of the day - But there is currently a way around this by using their wifi-calling enabled devices for accessing over the 3G network - thereby bypassing router filtering rules.

Ideally I'd not block voice-calling - I'm really only interested in managing the data traffic... Anyone got any details on how this is handled?

Thanks

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.