by Emjacksonxx Investigator
Investigator

Why isn't my EE pay as you go not working abroad

Hi, 

I'm wondering if it is possible for someone to help me. 

My my contract has ended with EE and I now have changed my sim over to pay as you go as I am travelling. I have also unlocked my phone but still using my current EE sim as I wish to continue using the same mobile number whilst away and keep the number to return to contract with EE when I am back to the UK. 

i was informed that in order to keep my number active I have to use the phone at least once every 3 months e.g send a text etc to keep it active. I am trying to send texts and it will not allow me to saying message unable to send. When phoning 150 it tells me that my service is currently suspended. Is it possible for someone to help as to why I am unable to send a text. Sounds silly I know! Just to add I also do have credit. As I am abroad my phone connects to the local providers here- could that be why it is not working. 

Many thanks! 

Emma 

12 REPLIES 12
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why isn't my EE pay as you go not working abroad

You need to phone EE to find out why it's suspended. It shouldn't have gone into hibernation if you used it to call, text, use data or top-up in the last 180 days. Use the Freephone no. in my sig. for free over Skype.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Emjacksonxx,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Did your SIM card work on pay as you go in the UK?

Have you tried selecting a different network manually?

Thanks

James

Investigator

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply

I left the uk on the 14th Feb and my contract didn't officially stop until the 17th Feb so unsure as to whether it worked on pay as you go in the U.K.

I have turned automatic carriers off and gone to select other carriers and still no change.

I did however manage to call my sister earlier today just to test if it worked and she answered for 2 seconds. Does that mean that it is still active? She also tried to phone me and my phone rang from her. I'm still however unable to send texts

Kind regards

Emma
by

Hi @Emjacksonxx,

It's certainly still active if you have been able to both make and receive a call.

Have you double checked to make sure you still have sufficient credit?

What type of phone are you using? If it's an iPhone and you are using iMessage it may be failing because you don't have a data connection.

You can get around this by disabling iMessage.

Thanks

James

Investigator

Hi

I'm unable to check how much credit I have left now as when I text 150 it won't go through and if I phone it says service unavailable
Last time I checked I had more than enough to send a text and I haven't used it since so the same balance should be there
Least I know the service is still active just inconvenient as I cannot send texts as I would want.
I have been turning iMessage off as I want to send as a text or I have tried texting oeioke who don't have iPhones so iMessage would work so it's not due to that

Thanks a lot for your help,

Emma 🙂
by

Hi @Emjacksonxx,

Once you have toggled iMessage off in settings>messages>iMessage, can you make sure 'Send as SMS' is turned on.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

James 

Investigator

Hi James

Still not working. It just won't let me send a text to anyone even those that are not on iMessage and don't have iPhones

Emma
by

Hi @Emjacksonxx,

What happens when you try to send a text?

Do you see a particular error message?

Another thing you could try is turning off 4G in your mobile data settings. This can sometimes help with roaming problems.

James

Investigator

It just says the usual iPhone message saying text message failed to send. And when the message is opened later it is still trying to send but not successfully going through.

I have turned 4G off thanks

Emma
by

Good evening @Emjacksonxx

@James_B has gone home so hope I can pick up the baton and help 🙂

Can you confirm are the texts you are sending Green or Blue?

Thanks

Richard

🙂

Investigator

Hi

Thank you!

I have no problem with my iMessage (the blue messages) but the green ordinary text messages I am trying to send are not working. For example sending a green text to someone who doesn't have an iPhone therefore wouldn't have iMessage, the message I am sending in green is failing and not sending

Emma
by

Hi @Emjacksonxx

Can you please check settings >>> phone >>>my number

Does the number displayed match your actual mobile number?

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.