Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Why does new EE 4g router not support Wi-fi calling?

It seems the new 4g router I received doesn’t support Wi-fi calling which is a huge shame so I’m going back to my mifi router which worked fine. Does anyone know if there are ports I can open on the router that might enable this? Thanks for any advice. 

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Why does new EE 4g router not support Wi-fi calling?

@Alan992299   The router does support WiFi calling.  What device is it your using? 

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Hi Chris I’m using an iPhone 7, since replacing the old 4g router Wi-fi calling has disappeared from all devices which it previously worked on. Any ideas?

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

@Chris_B Also Chris I spoke to customer support and they advised that the router won't support wifi calling, so I've requested another SIM to go back into my old router. Can you confirm otherwise?

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Alan992299  Login to the device and open these ports as these are the ports to open for WiFi calling on an iPhone. 

TCP ports in the range 5060-5061

UDP ports in the range 40283-59999

UDP port 4500 (IKEv2)

UDP port 500 (IKEv2) 

to login to the router have a read of THIS

Highlighted
by
EE Employee

Hi @Alan992299 and welcome to the community.

I can certainly look into this for you.

Many thanks,

Lee

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Thanks @Chris_B Could you give a bit more detail how to open up these ports from the router settings? I have access to the router settings page now but not sure where/how to open the ports from there. Thanks in advance

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Alan992299   Sorry I only know what ports to open not how it’s done on the router in question,  perhaps @XRaySpeX can guide you as he knows more about how to go about opening ports than I do. 

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Look in settings for Port Forwarding or Virtual Server as I think that router calls it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

@XRaySpeX thanks for pointing this out, I'm still unsure exactly what you mean and how I go about this. Any chance you can please explain in more detail (sorry I'm not particularly technical!)

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Well for starters, do see anything like those phrases in the settings?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

@XRaySpeX I can see virtual server settings in the advanced settings, there's a + sign to add new settings. Is there anyone who can talk me through it?

Thanks

Highlighted
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Alan992299

Thank you for coming here 🙂

When @XRaySpeX is available, I'm sure he will try and help you further.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

I don't know that router & the layout of its settings, but you will probably need to set it up to the the equivalent of this:

Enable No. LAN IP Address Protocol Type Private Ports Public Ports Delete
1 192.168.1. ~ ~
2 192.168.1. ~ ~
3 192.168.1. ~ ~
4 192.168.1. ~ ~

but for the device & ports you are using.

You'll probably also need yo fix or reserve the IP of the device.

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for helping but I’ve since found out this new router doesn’t support Wi-fi calling. I’ve switched back to the old router and hey presto, Skype calls and Wi-fi calling working as before. Just thought this was good info for anyone in the same position as me. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.