by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: When will s7 receive nougat update

Security updates should be rolled out ASAP. Yes

With failed pdates didn't it happen to Apple one year where they had to roll everyone back because it was faulty.

I can't remember maybe @Chris_B could shed some light on this.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10 Beta)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@bobmarley wrote:

@Bellyman

Yes EE should be making it a lot faster but if EE just release the update without testing it etc and then it started to cause issues with your phone/service, there would be a lot more users on here complaining why didn't they make sure it was fine beforehand.

That said. It shouldn't take this long as all the other networks have released it.

I'm glad you are getting somewhere with it because I got nowhere. I have my suspisions why but I'll keep that to myself.

Should it really take them a YEAR to test and make sure the updates are fine?  May 2016 is when we last got an EVR update on the S6 for example. 

BTU is working fine on the network so it's hardly going to cause a meltdown is it?  It is just stubborn refusal to pass on the security patches that the manufacturer is providing. 

We know they need to test things out, small delays whilst they sort out quirks of their VOLTE etc for the S7 and a major update like Nougat would need a bit of testing.  They get these builds way in advance though, it's not like samsung gave them nougat in January after they had released their BTU edition. 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

This is Samsungs statement on security updates. I put in red the S range so you can clearly see the issue EE has. The last security update for the S6 was May 2016 and the statement i've seen totally contradicts this and i've asked for information as to why.

My suspicion is this policy is for Samsung devices without carrier requested changes and there is another policy for carrier changed one. That policy would have had to be agreed with the carrier and thus the issue sits with EE.

http://security.samsungmobile.com/introsm.html

"At Samsung, we take security and privacy issues very seriously and we are doing our best to respond as quickly as possible.
Securing your device and maintaining the trust you place in us is our top priority.

Background:

In order to meet your expectations and continue to keep our products secure, Samsung will release monthly and quarterly security updates on selected Samsung devices listed below.
Monthly and quarterly security updates will include patches for Android OS related security issues released by Google, as well as, patches for Samsung-specific security issues.
We encourage our users to keep their devices and apps up to date.

Current Models for Monthly Security Updates¹:

Galaxy S series (S7, S7 edge, S7 Active, S6 edge+, S6, S6 edge, S6 Active, S5, S5 Active)
Galaxy Note series (Note 5, Note 4, Note edge)
Galaxy A series (A5x)

Current Models for Quarterly Security Updates²:
Galaxy Grand Prime, Galaxy Core Prime, Galaxy Grand Neo, Galaxy Ace4 Lite
Galaxy J1 (2016), Galaxy J1 (2015), Galaxy J1 Ace (2015), Galaxy J2 (2015), Galaxy J3 (2016), Galaxy J5 (2015), Galaxy J7 (2015), Galaxy A3 (2015), Galaxy A5 (2015)
Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 (2015), Galaxy Tab3 7.0 Lite"

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@terracuk wrote:

@bobmarley wrote:

@Bellyman

Yes EE should be making it a lot faster but if EE just release the update without testing it etc and then it started to cause issues with your phone/service, there would be a lot more users on here complaining why didn't they make sure it was fine beforehand.

That said. It shouldn't take this long as all the other networks have released it.

I'm glad you are getting somewhere with it because I got nowhere. I have my suspisions why but I'll keep that to myself.

Should it really take them a YEAR to test and make sure the updates are fine?  May 2016 is when we last got an EVR update on the S6 for example. 

BTU is working fine on the network so it's hardly going to cause a meltdown is it?  It is just stubborn refusal to pass on the security patches that the manufacturer is providing. 

We know they need to test things out, small delays whilst they sort out quirks of their VOLTE etc for the S7 and a major update like Nougat would need a bit of testing.  They get these builds way in advance though, it's not like samsung gave them nougat in January after they had released their BTU edition. 

No it shouldn't take a year and I have said that in the post you quoted that it sholdn't take long.

But there has been an incident with Apple (I seem to remember) where they had to be rolled back because of issues.

EE has a lot of features that they put into EVR that BTU doesn't have but like @Bellyman says once they ahve been sinserted into the first firmware it shouldn't take that long for any updates etc.

As ith security updates they should really re-think their policy on only rolling them out with firmware updates.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10 Beta)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.