Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

VoiceMobile offers - Are phones EE-branded?

VoiceMobile has some good offers on phones on EE contracts, but their contracts look to be significantly cheaper.

I am looking at the S8 and the S9. If I got a phone through VoiceMobile, would it come with EE firmware (i.e. would I get VoLTE and WiFi calling)?

The plans on VoiceMobile's website are EE-branded (e.g. they mention Essentials and Max plans) - would I be contracting with VoiceMobile or directly with EE (so VoiceMobile would just be an intermediate)?

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: VoiceMobile offers - Are phones EE-branded?

@DonDino  The device would be from them and not EE branded only the sim/contract will be with EE. 

If the device is not from EE it’s not a EE device and this is the same with all 3rd party sellers. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

They will come with generic firmware, hopefully UK, but when they update themselves shortly with Android 8.0 Oreo they should be able to use EE VoLTE and VoWiFi. See VoLTE on Samsung Galaxy S8 with non EE firmware for similar.

The airtime plans & contract will be with EE.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Thank you both!

@XRaySpeX Interesting! I didn't know they're finally opening it up. Will any Oreo device will have open VoLTE and WiFi calling regardless of firmware, or is this something specific to the S8 and S9?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It now looks like it's on the S8's but not the S9's at the mo'. See the last post of Re: VoLTE Activation .

Correction to my earlier post:

See VoLTE on Samsung Galaxy S8 with non EE firmware for similar.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.