Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

VoLTE Activation

Hello

I recently upgraded my S7 Edge to the S9+. My S7 Edge was purchased through EE. My S9+ was purchased directly from Samsung. I moved my contract with EE to a SIM only deal.

I've lost the VoLTE HD calling that I had on the S7 Edge. Is it possible to get this activated some how?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: VoLTE Activation

How do I use 4G Calling?

To use 4G Calling, you’ll need:

•or one of these phones, bought directly from EE in-store, online or over the phone:
Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+, S7, S7 edge, S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+, 
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Chris_c81

This service is only available for Samsung handsets purchased direct from EE with EE firmware. 

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Highlighted
by
EE Employee

Hi @Chris_c81 and welcome to the community.

@Northerner is indeed correct, only devices with EE firmware are able to use VOLTE.

Many thanks,

Lee

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

How do I use 4G Calling?

To use 4G Calling, you’ll need:

•or one of these phones, bought directly from EE in-store, online or over the phone:
Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+, S7, S7 edge, S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+, 
__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

Highlighted
by Contributor
Contributor

Well that sucks. Ridiculous. I'm still a paying customer who has entered in to my 5th year now with EE. Whats the justification for limiting it to devices purchased directly?

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Samsungs & others need special EE firmware on them to run on EE 4G calling. There are other makes that can be bought from anywhere, but Samsungs are not amongst them:

•an EE pay monthly plan on one of these phones bought from any retailer including EE (please check when buying a phone from a non-EE retailer whether or not it supports 4G Calling, as we cannot guarantee phones purchased from third parties will support the feature):
◦Apple iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X
◦Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL
◦Sony Xperia XZ1, Xperia XZ1 Compact
◦Huawei P10, P10 lite, P10 Plus
◦HTC U11
◦Blackberry Priv, Dtek 50, Dtek 60, KEYone
◦Nokia 3, 5, 8
◦EE Hawk

Highlighted
by Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Just flash the official EVR EE S9 firmware to enable VoLTE. ( as I have done with my direct from Samsung S8, S8+, Note 😎

Takes 5 minutes. 

Electronic Engineer by day.
Geek by night.
Highlighted
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Samsungs & others need special EE firmware on them to run on EE 4G calling. There are other makes that can be bought from anywhere, but Samsungs are not amongst them:

•an EE pay monthly plan on one of these phones bought from any retailer including EE (please check when buying a phone from a non-EE retailer whether or not it supports 4G Calling, as we cannot guarantee phones purchased from third parties will support the feature):
◦Apple iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X
◦Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL
◦Sony Xperia XZ1, Xperia XZ1 Compact
◦Huawei P10, P10 lite, P10 Plus
◦HTC U11
◦Blackberry Priv, Dtek 50, Dtek 60, KEYone
◦Nokia 3, 5, 8
◦EE Hawk

Not entirely true @XRaySpeX

I have the S8+ purchased directly from Samsung.

It has never had EVR firmware and I don't intend to install it. 

But since my last firmware update (minor one after the final release of Oreo) I have received VoLTE. 

So the OP needs to check there are no pending updates.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.1)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

People are replying absolute uneducated nonsense to your question. The fact is EE haven't yet made volte compatible for the s9 or s9+ yet. It would make absolutely zero difference if you had brought the phone from EE. I upgraded from the s8+ just a couple of days ago. This s8+ which I had been using since last may had been purchased direct from Amazon SIM free. I only gained the ability to use volte on my s8+ in the last 2 months meaning it was not always there. I never purchased this s8+ from EE, it was a SIM free model from Amazon.

My advice to you is just be patient until it is made available for our s9's. I do not recommend flashing any software onto your device as that voids the manufacturer's warranty and you'd be decreasing the value of your phone by tampering with software.

That being said, I really miss the volte feature from my s8+ and hope ee sort it out for the s9 very soon.

*Rant over*

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

You are WRONG. STOP MISLEADING PEOPLE. I had VoLTE on SIM free s8+ purchased from Amazon. It is up to EE to make VoLTE available for the s9.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Problud: Which bits are nonsense and who's misleading peeps?

This thread is about the S9 and you're talking about the S8.

At the time of writing the unbranded S8s (with Nougat) did not have VoLTE but with the release of Oreo (version 8.0) in late March they gained both VoLTE and VoWiFi.

So you have arrived here late after the event. When reading old posts on the Net you need consider them in context of when they were written. 

Highlighted
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Also flashing official Samsung firmware (not rooting) doesn't good warranty.

Highlighted
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Problud I think it’s you misleading people Volte is available on the s9 and s9+ and has been since launch day.

But it only works on Ee firmware I know As mine was sim free even with latest updates no Volte once I flashed Ee firmware it works.

And flashing official software doesn’t void warranty.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Explain this then, why did volte work on my s8+ which was a sim free phone from Amazon. I sure as hell didn't flash 'ee firmware' onto it. I'm only relaying information from my own experience and from speaking to EE representatives. 

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

There's people on this thread claiming only Samsung handsets purchased through EE and handsets that have EE firmware are only capable of having volte capabilities. I understand the context of this thread just fine. 

Since my s8+ was NOT purchased through EE and has NO ee firmware, it is fully relevant with this thread as it has volte capabilities. 

Highlighted
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Because EE started to allow non direct S8 to gain from the VoLTE service.

Currently they do not let the S9

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Your comment is correct and is something I already stated. We have to wait for EE to allow all s9 models to use their volte capabilities. 

Highlighted
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

This will not be until close or after to S10 like the S8 did after the S9.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Yes indeed it would be good to allow all s9s to access it.

But I was referring to your post of. Ee don’t have Volte for s9 and it doesn’t matter if you bought from them or not.

Just pointing out that that is incorrect and that it does work great with Ee direct phones or Ee firmware 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Screenshot_20180609-224357_Chrome.jpg

I took this screenshot directly from EE's 4g calling page. You can clearly see that the s9 nor the s9+ are listed as compatible devices. Unless someone on here actually has a s9 or s9+ and can confrco they are using VoLTE on EE, I will not believe it.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.