Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Virtual Servers on 4G ee wifi box

Currently evaluating this box as a backup for our office broadband. I have the thing connected, signal is good, broadband is good - everything working well there.

I am now trying to set up a port forward to a server on the LAN for a web service.

I can connect to the service from another machine on the LAN so I know that the local IP and port are good.

I have set up a virtual server on the router to point that port to the local IP (using the same port number or a different external port number) and cannot get in - been trying all morning. Progress 0%.

Interestingly I note that if I visit www.whatismyip.com I get one IP address (on any other connection - that is where I would point my external device to) but the device status gives a completely different WAN IP address.

Is there some external NAT thing going on that I am not aware of?

Has anyone got this working?

I would be grateful for any help on this as it is really starting to depress me. I work on routers all day, most days and have not previously had this kind of issue.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Virtual Servers on 4G ee wifi box

100.72.231.208 is in CGNAT Shared Address Space.

Shared Address Space can only be used in Service Provider networks or on routing equipment that is able to do address translation across router interfaces when addresses are identical on two different interfaces.

213.205.195.nnn is in an EE/Orange mobile pool & many users will have this same public IP. You all will have diff CGNAT IPs by which EE, & only EE, will be able to ID you.

When another host addresses this IP in response to a request by your device, EE will sort it out that is meant for you using their CGNAT.

However when another host addresses this IP out-the-blue, EE cannot know which of the many users with this IP it is aimed at.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

EE mobile network uses Carrier Grade NAT (CGNAT), which means that you don't get your own IP address but share it with other users. So you can't be uniquely id'ed on the Net.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Does that therefore suggest that despite the hardware being able to provide the functionality - the carrier - in this case EE  - would not acually allow it to happen as the public facing IP address is shared amongst several users?

that would explain why the router thinks it has one internet IP and whatismyip.com returns another.

Did I read that right?

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

What are the 1st 3 or 2 parts of these IP addys?

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

whatismyip suggests 213.205.195.nnn

The box thinks it has 100.72.231.208

Is that helpful?

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

100.72.231.208 is in CGNAT Shared Address Space.

Shared Address Space can only be used in Service Provider networks or on routing equipment that is able to do address translation across router interfaces when addresses are identical on two different interfaces.

213.205.195.nnn is in an EE/Orange mobile pool & many users will have this same public IP. You all will have diff CGNAT IPs by which EE, & only EE, will be able to ID you.

When another host addresses this IP in response to a request by your device, EE will sort it out that is meant for you using their CGNAT.

However when another host addresses this IP out-the-blue, EE cannot know which of the many users with this IP it is aimed at.

View solution in original post

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.