by Gerz2018 Investigator
Investigator

Very slow fibre broadband (new customer)

Hi I am a new customer and I am far from satisfied with the broadband speeds I am receiving.

Most of the time I receive around 2-4Mbps download which is terrible for a fibre connection.  

18 REPLIES 18
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Very slow fibre broadband (new customer)

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the steps and provide the data as requested in the Need Help with Your Home Broadband Speed or Connection? sticky. This will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Gerz2018 Investigator
Investigator

My Broadband availability checker results:

#!001_MicrosoftEdge_User_Default_WebNotes_Microsoft-Edge-Web-Notes-BT-Broadb.jpg

by Gerz2018 Investigator
Investigator

Screenshot (2).pngScreenshot (4).pngScreenshot (6).png

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

So your line should be giving you 20Meg+.

What did you get with your previous provider?

Are you out of your 10 day initial optimisation period since it was installed?

What is the state of your home network? Do you have old extensions in circuit? Have you got an uptodate NTE5 split front plate master socket?  Are you using micro filters?

Did you do the speed tests with the faceplate off and using the engineers socket behind the plate?

Are you using a BrightBox2 router?  Did you set it up correctly.?

Have you made your 2meg tests via wifi?

Did you test on ethernet cable?  (this is the only way to truly test your network performance)

What wifi channels are you using?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You are getting the Low Down sync for your line but your Up sync is below par.

What does EE promise in your MyEE for BB under Your broadband speed ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Gerz2018 Investigator
Investigator

I have been trying to add my broadband account to My EE over the past few days with out any success. An error saying: Your personal details don't match the ones we have, please try again

But my details I am inputting are correct. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Does it highlight any particular field it objects to?

There's 1 thing to be careful of:

The "Contact Email Address" requested when filling in the Home BB details is not necessarily the same as the email addy used as the username of the MyEE a/c being created or added to. It is the email addy EE already has on record for you for BB, being asked as a security check.

by Gerz2018 Investigator
Investigator

I only have one email address and this is my contact email address. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Then you will need to call CS to set it up.

by Gerz2018 Investigator
Investigator

So your line should be giving you 20Meg+.

What did you get with your previous provider?

Are you out of your 10 day initial optimisation period since it was installed?

What is the state of your home network? Do you have old extensions in circuit? Have you got an uptodate NTE5 split front plate master socket?  Are you using micro filters?

Did you do the speed tests with the faceplate off and using the engineers socket behind the plate?

Are you using a BrightBox2 router?  Did you set it up correctly.?

Have you made your 2meg tests via wifi?

Did you test on ethernet cable?  (this is the only way to truly test your network performance)

What wifi channels are you using?

I am still within the 10 day initial optimisation. 

The strange thing is during the day the speed is relatively ok. I have just done a hardwired speed test via the Think Broadband speed test and I got 18.3 Meg download and 1-2Meg upload. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

As you're getting those speeds wired your issue is with WiFi. As @Paulosb said this is the only way to get a realistic performance. EE are at least delivering the down speed that your line is capable of. What were you getting from your previous ISP?

by Gerz2018 Investigator
Investigator

With my previous ISP I was getting about 17-21Meg. 

But at the evening and night the speed drops dramtically! I have done both WiFi tests and hardwired tests and only get 2-5Meg download. 

Very strange in the difference in speeds in both halfs of the day. 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

You are still in the 10 day optimisation - that may account for the variance in speeds.

If WiFi is the issue I would look to disabling the 5GHz channels... they are useful at close range but worse at long range - and only work for iPhones Macs and advanced devices that support 5G.

I would also look at the wifi channel choices. Use wifi sweet spot app on iOS to test the wifi in the house and look to which neighbours are on similar channels.. that may be an issue.  I'd move your BB2 to a better location.

by Gerz2018 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks, all of the mobile phones are Android and I will alter them to connect to the 2.4Ghz channel and see how it goes.  

I am satisfied that the BB2 router is positioned in a central location of the property so I will keep it as is.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you saying you only get low speeds at peak times with EE or with your previous ISP?

If it is like that currently with EE, it sounds as if you are being throttled.

Your exchange, St. Davids, used to be historically in EE's "Off-Net" network where they did throttle ADSL traffic at peak times. They are not meant to do that now, certainly not for fibre.

I'd wait out the 10-day so-called "stabilisation period" & report back here whether it is still doing it.

by Gerz2018 Investigator
Investigator

I am receiving low speeds at peak times with EE, I agree with you I am getting throttled. With the previous ISP I wasn't been throttled and was generally fine 24/7. 

I will report back after the 10 day period. Thank you for all the help and guidance. 

by welburnius
Explorer

Whereabouts do you live as mine is the same?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@welburnius: By looking at post 3 you will see OP is on St Davids exchange.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.