This page is no longer active

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

by cabbery Investigator
Investigator

Upload capped to 443kbps since EE looked at issue

Hi All,

Product, EE ADSL2+

About 2 months ago we had a lot of drop-outs with our internet, the Brightbox that EE supplied would constantly lose connection every few minutes.

After calling EE and going through the regular process, somebody came out to look at the line, and found some 'fault' on one of the phone outlets in our flat, so switched us over to another telephone outlet in a differnt part of the house.

The line drops went away, but then returned after a few days.

Did a bit of digging, after disabling UPNP support on the router, the issues went away. Great, not sure why EE didn't look at the router settings as first port of call, but anyway.

Only problem however is that previously to the call being logged, our upstream would always sync between 1000kbps/1300kbps

But now our line syncs every single time at exactly 443kbps. full restarts, router factory resets, full power offs etc, exactly at that sync speed every time.

I raised this with EE but didn't get far with the phone guys, because 'EE can't guarantee your upload speed'

It DEFINITELY appears as though I have had a cap placed on the line somewhere, thus the exact 443kbps upstream. Not 1 single bit of variance.

Is there anybody here who can help with this situation? This upstream is cripplingly slow.

Thanks

8 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Upload capped to 443kbps since EE looked at issue

Your connection has been changed by the DLM from Fast Path to Interleaved, probably due to the discons you had, but even so your upstream should be syncing at 888 K. Sometimes the BT DLM gets stuck at 444 K. It needs a DLM Reset to try and fix it.

@cabbery wrote:

somebody came out to look at the line, and found some 'fault' on one of the phone outlets in our flat, so switched us over to another telephone outlet in a differnt part of the house.

For the best connection, you need to be directly connected to the master socket, which is one with a horizontal split in the faceplate, looking like NTE5 A Master Socket . Are you plugged into one of those? Which of the sockets on that page are all your sockets? Sounds like your internal wiring is faulty. Can you try plugging into the hidden test socket of the NTE5?

The BT OR eng who visited will know nowt about your router settings; he's only there for the cabling. Anyway uPnP won't affect your BB connection.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Please post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ ADSL Status. Also post 'Time Connected:' from initial Status page. Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

What exchange are you connected to? If you don't know use: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search and post the URL of your exchange page.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by cabbery Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've actually been connected for 28 days and it was on Fastpath not Interleaved.
When I was on interleaved prior to these issues, I always has slightly higher sync speed, but slightly increased latency - which is what I would expect.

I made it very clear to EE when I followed up that I wanted the DLM to be reset, and any speed 'profiles' or line caps removed, they said there weren't any.

It's definitely connected to the NTE5 A master socket, we have 2 that look exactly the same in our flat. I wasn't home when the engineer attended but from what I understand he basically just terminated the line coming in from outside to a different point in the house - that alone shouldn't give me exactly 443kbps upstream every time, neither would faulty internal wiring, that would merely give me slow speeds, but they would at leasy vary-

So I am thinking that the 443kbps upstream is perhaps instead a result of the EE techs troubleshooting steps?

Using Poplar Exchange https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LNPOP

Probably about 1 mile from my building of flats as the crow flies.

Router stats, uptime is only 30 minutes as Irestarted it once more to make sure it wasn't going to magically prove me wrong and sync my upstream at 1mbps. Prior to that was 28days uptime.

ADSL Stats

http://i.imgur.com/DdFrXxc.png

I really do think there is something on the exchange, or on my line that has artificially capped it, however I've had no luck trying to explain that to Level 1 EE and it goes nowhere.

Any ideas?

P.S. This guy had the same issue as me it seems with his upstream being halved to 443, not sure how far he got with that. The internet is littered with 443 upstream stories too..

http://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Home-Broadband/Slow-connection/m-p/222465/highlight/true#M5114

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You shouldn't have more than 1 master in the same circuit.

Was the eng who visited from BT Openreach or a sub-contractor like Kellys? Sounds like the latter if they left you with 2 masters.

@cabbery wrote:
neither would faulty internal wiring, that would merely give me slow speeds

Not necessarily! A noisy line or discons would cause the DLM to react and change profiles.

Nor need it vary much as 444K & 888K are step caps that a DLM might choose, but as I said they is only on Interleaved.

However we had a recent report here that when the Brigtbox was saying Fast Path it was actually on Interleaved, as proved by using a more informative router in its place.

Yes and most of the 444K stories originate from Plusnet where they or BT capped the line by mistake.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

What's ping bbc.co.uk like?

by cabbery Investigator
Investigator

BT Openreach I believe.

We always had 2 Master outlets in the house, I believe only 1 was live at the time though (Lounge) - and when the tech came he changed it so that one in the cupboard was live, and we moved the router there. 

The line is completely stable, as mentioned I had uptime for 28 days so there should not be any capping from the DLM.

I think BT has still got my line capped, and have said to EE that it has been removed when it actually has not.

I'll test pings to bbc.co.uk when I'm home, but pings to google.co.uk are usually 14ms when on fastpath, about 22ms when on Interleaved. I haven't seen my line on Interleaved since before I raised this request over 2 months ago, though.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Ah, OK! You have 2 pairs (lines), 1 inactive, like most houses. and eng just swapped their sockets.

Be interested to see current ping.

by cabbery Investigator
Investigator

C:\Users\Console>ping bbc.co.uk

Pinging bbc.co.uk [212.58.246.104] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.58.246.104: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=54
Reply from 212.58.246.104: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=54
Reply from 212.58.246.104: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=54
Reply from 212.58.246.104: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 212.58.246.104:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 14ms, Maximum = 16ms, Average = 15ms

On fastpath, wireless to the Brightbox. Looks good..

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.