by AndyP1 Investigator
Investigator

Unlock iPhone

Hi,

I'm in serious need of help please!

I have an iPhone 5s which I purchased second hand from a friend.  She originally purchased it from Carphone Warehouse with Orange as the carrier.

I have been able to use it with no problem on Virgin.  I have switched to Sky, tried to use their SIM and got messages on the phone telling me it was locked.

The Apple shop told me it was locked to EE.  (How I have been able to use it on Virgin, I don't know). 

The person I bought it from kindly phoned EE to get it unlocked.  She was told that because it was purchased from Carphone Warehouse, her account had not been  connected to the IMEI number.  They couldn't do anything about it and the only option was to go on this forum and request for it to be unlocked on here.

I would appreciate a response from the support team please in order to resolve this.

Regards,

Andy

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Unlock iPhone

@AndyP1: Unlocking cannot be performed from here. This is just a user discussion group.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
16 REPLIES 16
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

@AndyP1: Unlocking cannot be performed from here. This is just a user discussion group.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on 0800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@AndyP1  The device works on virgin mobile because they use the EE network to give their customers a signal.   Sky use O2 to give their customers a signal so the device needs to be unlocked.  

by AndyP1 Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Many thanks for the response. This is what we have already done though! The original owner called that number and requested an unlock but was told that they couldn't do it but to put he request onto the forum. I seem to be going round in circles. Quite why they felt it could be resolved via the forum but not over the phone, I don't know.

Further advice which resolves the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Right Hand Theatre
by Grand Master
Grand Master

You sure they phoned that non-customer no. & not the general customer no.?

Maybe they didn't make it clear that it was now a 2nd-hand device & they took it as the original owned device. Maybe they told him to use the online unlocking form (not forum) for customers.

You phone it as a non-customer with a 2nd-hand device.

by AndyP1 Investigator
Investigator

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response. I know they used the telephone number that you posted for definite. I couldn't say if they followed those options. I do think they ended up talking to the right department though as they were given the info that Carphone Warehouse had apparently not linked the IMEI number to her account so they couldn't do anything about it on the phone. I think it must have been the right department for that level of detail to have been passed on.

They definitely said forum and not form though.

Am I right in assuming that it is her who has to make the call? Would they speak to me as the owner?

Andy

Right Hand Theatre
by Grand Master
Grand Master

No, I think it better you phone them as the now owner of a 2nd-hand phone. That's what they're there for. She's already tried & failed.

Highlighted
by AndyP1 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks - I will give it a go and see what happens.

Andy

Right Hand Theatre
by
EE Community Support Team

Let us know how you get on @AndyP1

Thanks, Leanne 🙂

by AndyP1 Investigator
Investigator

Thanks for the info. At least that part I now understand! Just got to get the phone unlocked now...

Andy

Right Hand Theatre
by

Great news @AndyP1

Thanks for coming back and letting us know 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance.

by AndyP1 Investigator
Investigator

Hi

I'm optimistic. Following your advice I had a very helpful call and am hoping the phone will be unlocked by 4 today. I will let you know if it's resolved.

Thanks for the help to date.

Andy
by

Good luck @AndyP1

Please keep us updated and have a great weekend.

Richard

🙂

by AndyP1 Investigator
Investigator

Many thanks to XRaySpeX.  This problem is now solved and my phone is working.  I really do appreciate the help as I was tearing my hair out in frustration. What should have been a simple task - and ultimately proved to be so - was for some reason the complete opposite.  

All good now.  I hope it helps others too.

Kind regards,

Andy

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Thanks! You're welcome :)! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

by
EE Employee

I'm glad you are now sorted @AndyP1

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.