This page is no longer active

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

by rlangtind Investigator
Investigator

Unlock Second hand iPhone.. Error on unlock form

I have bought a locked second hand EE iPhone where the previous owner promised to get it unlocked, but she has now disappeared...

When I try to unlock using online form, with enough credit on my EE PAYG card, I get an error.. Can you no longer unlock the phones when you buy them second hand?  I have seen lots of threads on this matter on this forum, and they all tell you to get a PAYG sim and unlock that way.. This doesnt seem to work for me..

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
by
EE Employee
Solution

Re: Unlock Second hand iPhone.. Error on unlock form

Hi @rlangtind

Welcome to the EE Community! :smileyhappy:

That wasn't very nice for the person to do that!!

If you have purchased a second hand EE device you can go to your Local EE Store and request an Unlock Code.

it will cost £8.99 and can take 7-10 working days.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. :smileyhappy:

9 REPLIES 9
Investigator

I get this error (not very helpful Im afraid):

Sorry, something went wrong.

We were not able to process your request unfortunately.

Please go through the form again, checking your answers, and making any corrections where necessary.

Highlighted
by
EE Employee
Solution

Hi @rlangtind

Welcome to the EE Community! :smileyhappy:

That wasn't very nice for the person to do that!!

If you have purchased a second hand EE device you can go to your Local EE Store and request an Unlock Code.

it will cost £8.99 and can take 7-10 working days.

Hope this helps!

Investigator

Thanks for your response @Karen_C

I went to an EE store yesterday and they took my details (and money), so hopefully it will be unlocked now.

While I've got your attention. Obviously the phone is registered in the previous owners name, is there a way to change the ownership on your records so that it now belongs to me? It would stop, for example, the previous owner reporting it stolen later on (not putting anything by them, considering she already lied on the unlocking of the phone).. Similar to cars, I suppose.

by
EE Employee

Hi @rlangtind

Glad it's sorted!

Unfortunately not....the IMEI will always show against the original owners account.

by Josh-C
Visitor

Hi, I have also had the same problem with my phone. I have tried unlocking via the online form and it gives me an error. I went down to my nearest EE store and was simply told they don't have the facilities to do the unlocking process? I cannot unlock online and also have the same problem of being unable to contact the previous owner. I really just want to know whether it can be done in any store, or only specific stores?
Thanks
by Grand Master
Grand Master

It can be done at any EE store. All they have to do is fill in a form on your behalf. They were lying to you.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by beethoven10b

Good afternoon from Cape Town, SA.  It's all very well suggesting the users go into the shop in the UK but not all of us actually live there. When I worked that during 2015 I bought my Alcatel.  I have since wanted it unlocked, to be used in SA, so I gave the phone and all relevant particulars including a letter or authority form these friends who went on holiday to the UK during 2016 and for them to give to EE to unlock it for me - to no avail as my letter and authority were not accepted.

I have tried, repeatedly, to go online also to no avail.  I have just seen that the form is actually faulty and would hope that this could be rectified SOONEST so that I don't need to buy another!! phone here.  Surely it could be made easier for those of us who do not live in the UK!!??

MH Krige

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@beethoven10b   You’re reading a post That is Two Years Old And no Longer Relevant. You Need to Call EE Customer Services to Request a Secondhand Device to be unlocked it Will Cost You £8.99 And You Have to Pay via  UK Credit or Debit Card.   You do Not Have to go to the Store to Request a Second hand device to be unlocked. 

The Online Request Form is Only For Those Who Got The Device From EE And is no Good to Anyone Who Has a Secondhand Device as that form has to link your device to your account which is only got via getting the device from EE yourself. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @beethoven10b and welcome to the community.

We no longer advise customers to pop into store to have their device unlocked.

Please do see our latest unlocking guide.

Many thanks,

Lee

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.