by Profile closed
Not applicable

Unable to pay bill, can I sell my phone?

Hello

Due to losing my job I am now unable to pay my £50 a month contract. I am currently seeking debt advice from citizens advice as I have other debts also, I will be looking to add my mobile phone contract to a debt relief order also along with my other debts. I haven't paid my contract for 2 months now, I have bought a cheap phone and SIM only SIM on a different network for £10 a month. Can I now sell the phone on the cash for phones recycle websites? I don't want to do anything I'm not allowed to do as I don't know if EE will ask for the phone back or if they will bar the imei and then the recycle website may ask for their money back? Any help will be much appreciated, like I said I don't want to do anything that I'm not supposed to do.

Kind Regards

4 REPLIES 4
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Unable to pay bill, can I sell my phone?

You can't sell your phone during the 1st 6 months of the contract as that's when EE retain ownership in it.

If you don't pay your mobile bill EE will blacklist your phone. So you would be selling a blocked phone that can't be used on any UK network.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hi xrayspex

Thankyou for your help

I've had my phone about a year, I wouldn't sell it privately as wouldn't want to sell a blocked phone to someone. But do you know if the cash for phones websites would still accept the phone? If you don't no worries, thankyou.

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@Profile closed  You need to call customer services and tell the your issue as your still in contract even if you sell the device.  EE is a understanding network and they will come to some arrangement with you for your outstanding contract that you still owe EE for.   Don’t just not pay as this will effect your credit rating and you will probably have your outstanding balance given to a debt  collection company and then you will owe them plus interest. 

by
EE Employee

Hi @Profile closed and welcome to the community.

I understand your situation as I also have been there too.

Have you spoken to anybody in our billing team to see if they help ease your situation?

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.