by
EE Employee

Re: Swann CCTV no longer accessible via 4g/3g data connection

Hi @tino0202

It does appear to only affect EE customers but that doesn't mean it's an issue with our network - if all your other data services and apps are working there's no issue from our side.

As @Chris_B mentioned it could be a compatibility issue.

Looking through all the posts it also appears to be iPhone users that are experiencing problems.

Are able to possibly try your SIM in an Android phone to see if you experience the same issues?

It is definitely something that would need to be raised with Swann.

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

by chappers777

@Karen_C, it seems its an EE issue, im having the same problem. i know you keep saying that if everything else is working its nothing to do with EE but does this mean EE isnt trying to sort this out??

thanks,

Jordan

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @chappers777

Have you replicated the advise and steps offered by @Karen_C in this topic?

Thanks

Richard

πŸ™‚

by Stebbigws Contributor
Contributor

Hi I have just joined this community because I have the same problem with 3G and 4g. I had my system fitted this week and no mention of problems with EE network. I have seen on here about swannlink one can someone tell me what it is and is it a downloadable app, sorry but not a technically minded as some of you users. 

by

Hi @Stebbigws,

Welcome to the EE Community.

If you contact your CCTV provider, their support team will be able to help you get setup.

Thanks

James

by Fifi23 Investigator
Investigator

Hi Swann one is an app that I downloaded based on the advice from another post about this problem. The swann one app works now for me on my Iphone 5s on 4g. Just go to the apps and download it like you would any other application, good luck.

by PCL Investigator
Investigator

Solved/Work Around for using Homesafe app on 3G/4G so hopefully this will help others and more technically minded people find a permanent solution.

My solution was as follows:-

1. In the DVR I set network parameters to Static, manually gave my DVR an IP address, entered my router information and enabled UPNP.

2. Set router (mine is Sky) to port forward to the static IP address for the DVR i had given above.

3. Obtain your ISP provided IP address using canyouseeme.org

4. Open the Homesafe app on iphone and go to device

5. Select login type and select IP/Domain

6. In the IP Address field - Enter the ISP allocated IP address as per instruction 3 (not your Router or DVR IP address)

7. Enter your user name and password which is the same as your DVR login password

8 Test using wifi and mobile data.

When you start the app the camera view is instant on either wifi or mobile data whereas before it took 1 minute to load live picture using wifi.

My old DVR using the Swannview app would allow you to enter your registered Swann DDNS address so you could still log into your DVR, from the app, when your ISP changed your IP address. The new Homesafe app would not log in using my DDNS address and I had to enter my ISP IP address for it to work. The downside of using this workaround is when your ISP issues your router a new IP address you will have to change this in the Homesafe app.

I think maybe the issue is the app not working with the Swann Dynamic DNS service

Hope this helps.

PCL

[Edited as per user request]

by

pic spot prize.png

Hi @PCL

Because I loved the help you gave today, I’d love to treat you to dinner on us.
I’m going to send you a private message – please reply to that message with your address details so that I can pop a restaurant voucher in the post.

Keep up the great work – it’s the people here who make this community a great place to be – and enjoy your meal out!

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

by Stebbigws Contributor
Contributor

Hi PLC thank you for the advice I will try that this weekend when my technical advisor is here (my son) and let you know the outcome. My system is a DVR8-4575: so hope it works. 

Thanks

George 

by

Please do let us know the outcome @Stebbigws

Richard

πŸ™‚

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@PCL: That is how the CCTV should be set up at its end anyway but I can't see it changing how the EE mobile network connects to that public IP.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by PCL Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX  that may be how it should be set up but that's not how Swann instruct you to do it.

The instructions are to basically leave the router as default DHCP, download the app, take a picture of the QR code and that's it. The DVR then allocated itself a random ip address and filled in the ip address, DNS info for my router and disabled UPNP. Apparently UPNP is not required if you set up via QR code. This resulted in the app only working on wifi and very slow to load live images. I forgot to add that when I set up the static information on my DVR i enabled UPNP.

Maybe it's not an EE mobile network problem but the way the DVR unit and app are set up. My old Swann CCTV DVR was manually set up and the Swanview app would allow you to input your registered Swann dynamic DNS address so if your ISP changed your IP address the app would still work. The new Homesafe app does not work with the DDNS address in the IP/DOMAIN field and therefore i had to enter my ISP provided address manually for it to work. I couldnt get the Homesafe app to work on my sons mobile and he is with a different mobile operator.

by Stebbigws Contributor
Contributor

Hi PLC,

Tried to do you modified script and get the cctv to work over 3/4g in the most straightforward the only problem we had was trying to find out how to set the router to Port forward (I also have a sky router). So until my son can work that out we are at status quo, if you have any instructions that would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards

George 

by PCL Investigator
Investigator

I've sent you a pm

by

Hi @Stebbigws

I hope the advice given by @PCL whatever that may be in terms of support has helped you.

Cheers

Richard

πŸ™‚

by PCL Investigator
Investigator

For port forwarding:-

click on Security tab

click on services tab

click Add Service

Enter this info in the following fields:

Name: Swann9000

Type: TCP/UDP

Start Port: 9000

Finish Port: 9000

click apply

click Add Service

Enter this info in the following fields:

Name: Swann85

Type: TCP/UDP

Start Port: 85

Finish Port: 85

click apply

Click Firewall Rules tab

Scroll down to inbound services

click Add in bottom table

Under IPv4 Settings

Service: Select the Swann9000 option setup above

Action: Allow Always

Destination IPv4 LAN Address: Enter the static IP address of your DVR 

Access From: Any

Leave Source IPv4 start & finish as zero's

Click apply

click Add in bottom table

Under IPv4 Settings

Service: Select the Swann85 option setup previously

Action: Allow Always

Destination IPv4 LAN Address: Enter the static IP address of your DVR 

Access From: Any

Leave Source IPv4 start & finish as zero's

Click apply

click apply again under the table

go to the Homesafe app and under device, add a device name, login type IP/Domain and IP address is the address issued to your router by sky which you can obtain by going to canyouseeme.org. Media port is 9000 and enter your DVR user name and password and save. Hopefully you will get live view and playback on wifi and 3g/4g.

Let me know if it works or if you need further assistance.

Highlighted
by Gooner42 Investigator
Investigator

I have the same problem I can't connect to my swan CCTV 😑😑😑😑

by

Hi @Gooner42

Thanks for coming to community πŸ™‚

I would maybe take a look here to see if this works for you.

Thanks

Richard

πŸ™‚

by tino0202 Investigator
Investigator

An app update was released today and now works perfect

Lovely jubbly

by tashshep Contributor
Contributor

it really works as it should finally πŸ‘

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.