by hograt Investigator
Investigator

Smart Hub USB Functionality

Hello,

Just connected to EE fibre today, using the supplied EE Smart Hub.  The instructions are quite basic and I couldn't find anything about this in the community.

The move to EE was conditional on me being able to use a USB drive attached to the router and the Smart Hub does indeed have a USB 2 port.  The technical spec / sales pitch states FAT32, NTFS are compatible file systems.  I've attached several devices to the hub and they are all recognised and mounted based on the log.  However there is no means of configuring the drive within the hub manager and any attempt I've tried to access from the network via samba has been unsucessful.

So I'm reaching out to any users of the Smart Hub who have this working?  I did ask the salesperson specifically about this and this has been confirmed so it would be disappointing if this were not true.

Thanks

Martin

20 REPLIES 20
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Smart Hub USB Functionality

No, there are no useful settings for USB in the SH.

I plugged in a flash drive, the log saw it but I could not see it under Explorer (unlike the Brightbox). Have you looked under Network in Explorer (I'm not running it connected to BB)?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by hograt Investigator
Investigator

thanks for your time and response.  Not visible on my network and the evidence suggests the claims this router will support an attached drive are incorrect. This is awkward and I'll speak to support tomorrow for an explanation and eta for updated firmware. cheers

by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @hograt

Thanks for posting in community 🙂

I hope your talk with customer services is fruitful and you get the support you are looking for.

Have a great Sunday.

Thanks

Richard

🙂

by hograt Investigator
Investigator

Hello,

I've just had a long chat with EE support and unfortunately they are not knowledgeable and wanted to track a solutions for WPA, which is nonsense.  The device has only been around a month or so and I get the feeling their staff are poorly prepared to support it.

However, we patiently explored the options and this involved some tech input who informed me I can share a device via Windows share.  I agreed with this but challenged this solution and pointed them at the Smart Hub spec published in the EE shop which states clearly file share via the USB as a major feature. And of course, this feature was one I asked for when I received the cold call offering their service over the incumbent provider.

For me this tarnishes the brand new Smart Hub which is being sent out to new customers, it clearly isn't production ready if major features - present in the Bright Box 2 - are not yet working.  We did update the firmware which did not further deploy USB drive features e.g. ability to define read/write acess.  

I've asked this to be escalated and am told to expect a response in 10 days....huh! Too slow.  This will put me off for a while but ultimately EE need to get their advertising and sales persons training in line with the kit features.  The mis-selling is unfortunate but again suggests staff are ill prepared for the new technology.  I will keep the community informed of progress as clearly it is in everyone's interests to know how their flagship devices perform in the real world and whether they live up to their promises.

Regards...

by

Thanks for the update @hograt

Please let us know what happens when you hear back from the team and what the outcome is.

Richard

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's working for me now. The USB in my EE SH now appears under Win Explorer Networks. It hadn't before. Didn't do anything special. Only funny is that the router is called a PC named "BRIGHTBOX2". Some residual memory?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

It may have been to do with the timing of when I inserted the USB. This time I waited till the router started flashing that it couldn't connect to BB (I was running it freestanding off BB).

by hograt Investigator
Investigator

that at least shows it is possible although possibly by chance, not a hoot here unfortunately.  

However, snooping around the advanced settings and selecting the attached device brings up the option to change the icon and doing this without editing the device name brings up an error that the device name must start with a letter or number even though I've not changed from the default.  The device does start with a ' which isn't alpha-numerical but it wont let me change it.

I'm 3 days into waiting for tech support - told i'd get this within 10 days so let's see what the solution is.

Thanks Smiley Happy

by Profile closed
Not applicable

That USB port was one of my main reasons for leaving Virgin and now I can't access any device I attach

by hograt Investigator
Investigator

Update: Even though I waited for over a month, EE support could not be arsed to get in touch to follow up.

Meh...poor 

by

Hi @Profile closed and @hograt

I've sent you both a private message each to get some more information.

Please take a look and get back to me.

Thanks

Chris

by cffgb
Visitor

I just got a new Smarthub today.

I was able to browse a USB flash device using the router IP address. So that is:

\\192.168.1.254\usb1\

to get to the root folder. I used the appropriate sub-folder to add my Music Library to my SONOS system and so far so good. The Brightbox USB share was a bit flakey and often dropped out. I hope the Smarthub is a bit more stable and up to the job.

The same IP address will probably work for other boxes, it is the default IP address for the Smart Hub Manager web page.

by hograt Investigator
Investigator

So I've solved this, didn't bother with technical support as I don't have the patience to go around in circles with these people.  Basically they didn't solve my problem as promised and because they didn't call back as promised I concluded they didn't know.  Afterall EE are not the equipment OEM.

The issue lies with Windows 10 and the fall update 2017.  Thi removed the service SMB1 in preference for SMB2/3 which is more secure.

If you have this problem with a clean install of Windows 10 then head to the control panel and programes to add a windows 10 feature.

Scroll down to the box -> SMB1 and enable.

Reboot then in windows explorer add a network device

\\192.168.1.254\usb1\

This will get you going.

Thanks to the posters above who helped, no thanks to support. 

Highlighted
by

Hi @hograt

I'm delighted that you managed to get to the bottom of this.

I sent you a private message at the end of May asking you for some details, but I didn't receive a reply from you.

Anyway, I'm glad you're all sorted and as a thank you for sharing this solution with the community, I would love to send you a small gift from the community team. 🙂

Spot prize.jpg

Please take a look at your community inbox and reply to my message.

Thanks again.

Chris

by DaveP2819 Contributor
Contributor

I have had the same issue, I left EE about a month ago and went to Voda (mobile & b/band) but came back within Voda's 30 day option to EE and got a new EE Smart Hub which replaced my old BB2.  I run an iMac on MacOS 10.14.1 and used to use Sonos on my BB2 USB port with a WD USB drive which containes a copy of my iTunes Music library, which I could use when my iMac was offline.  Voda said they offered the USB port on their Router, but after many hours with Tech support, I found it didn't work. Back with EE & the Smart Hub, I found that didn't work either.  Reading the above article and using \\192\168\1\254\usb1 in the Sonos Music Library location - it works!!!  Brilliant.  Many thanks, problem solved.

by Rocinante

Just to add my experiences of trying to get the USB facility working. On the EESmartHub admin control page (//192.168.1.254), the top-right box called My Network has at the bottom an indicator showing the number of USB devices connected. Mine showed 0. Double-clicking the My Network box takes you to a webpage showing a list of all the devices on your network. At the top-right of this webpage is a box called USB. Double-clicking this shows a list of your USB devices. Mine had the name "     ,IS902E" (yes, with leading whitespace characters). If you double-click this entry, it takes you to a page where you can edit the name to e.g. USB1. Save this new value.

I also rebooted the modem router. Not sure if this was part of the reason why it started working, but seems a good idea anyway 🙂

Having rebooted, you can then map to the USB drive. In Windows File Explorer, click This PC. At the top, click Map Network Drive. Select a drive letter (e.g. U:), and in the folder specification box, enter //EESMARTHUB/usb1. Select the Reconnect at sign-in checkbox if you want it to always reconnect when you reboot.

I was then asked for my credentials to log in. I put in "admin" and then then admin pwd for my EE modem. It connected fine. I'd prefer not to log in as admin for this sort of thing, but so far haven't seen any other way to specify credentials.

Other posts here point out that you do need to have SMBv1 active on your PC!  This is an outdated protocol (replaced by SMBv2) that has known security issues.  SMBv1 is the way that the NHS's computer systems were brought to their knees a couple of years ago. This is why Microsoft has turned SMBv1 off by default. For how to re-enable SMBv1, Google e.g. "how to turn on smbv1 windows 10".

I'm very disappointed to see a new router being supplied that requires SMBv1. However, my previous modem, a BTHub5, also required it, as does my local network storage box, so it just shows how long it takes to update software.

UPDATE: Regarding the need to supply credentials when connecting a drive to your USB. On another PC, I've connected with a purely random username and password. Not sure if this enforces security on any files created such that if someone else maps with a different user/pw they wouldn't be able to see the files

by brewco Investigator
Investigator

Hi

same issue but on a Mac. Can see the USB stick in the hub manager but no way to access it. Please keep us updated, hoping for a solution (y)

by brewco Investigator
Investigator

Hi Dave

same issue on a Mac. Can see the USB stick in the hub manager but no way to access it. Any way to access a drive or stick and browse/send/read/ copy files as usual, hoping for a solution ?

by brewco Investigator
Investigator

SO I dug about on Google and found this for the Mac folks:

https://classroom.synonym.com/access-usb-drive-router-mac-13906.html

Followed the instructions, ignored step 3 as there isn't one; clicked connect and voila, opened the USB stick on the desktop with full remote access both ways and it even put an icon on the desktop for easy access. Go Macs! Thanks Google! Enjoy!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.