by JohnfromRye Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Slower fibre speeds

Finally managed to get FTTC connection out here in the wild countryside of Sussex. Estimate of line speed was 11-20Mbps, but I was doubtful of this being attainable as we are still some distance from our cabinet - Iden No2. However the guaranteed minimum speed was 7mbs, so I would be happy if we managed to get that, which I was assured that we would. 

On day of installation - nothing. Openreach engineer visited and confirmed the wrong pair of wires had been connected. He rectified this and we got green lights on the Brightbox 2 supplied. However, when he measured the speed using his test equipment, he only got 3.5Mbps down.  The Brightbox itself briefly measured 11.1Mbps though, so we thought all was fine and his test equipemnt had just got too old for the job!  However I then measured the speeds using Broadbandspeedtester over teh next few days and this avaerage out at between 5.5 and 6Mbps (I have the accurate screen dumps). Whilst this was meterorically fast compared to the ADSL rtae we had previously received, it was still below the guaranteed 7Mbps - and nowhere near the estimated line speed. Then one morning the speed literally popped up to 8Mbps. And stayed there for a few days. I was happy as the 7Mbps guarantee seemed to have been met.

So then I swapped the Brightbox 2 for an ASUS DSL-AC68U, which is my favoured modem router as it has a much better wireless range than the Brightbox. This also configures automatically, but on connection Broadbandspeedtester immediate showed a decrease in speed back to 5.5 to 6 Mbps - the same as the Brightbox had been attaining. After three days this appeared to be a constant figure, so I decided to swap the Brightbox back in its' place. This wasn't a good move as I now had the worst of both worlds, the speed remaining down at 5.5 - 6 and the lesser range of the Brightbox. Even after some 5 days the speed has not adjusted itself up.  What am I doing wrong?

I would eventually like to put the Asus router back into my system as it should give better results. But I have seen only a top speed of 6Mbps through it, whereas through the Brightbox I have seen 8Mbps (and higher if the box's own stats are to be believed). Any guidance gratefully received.

19 REPLIES 19
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Slower fibre speeds

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

@JohnfromRye wrote:

I then measured the speeds using Broadbandspeedtester over teh next few days and this avaerage out at between 5.5 and 6Mbps (I have the accurate screen dumps). Whilst this was meterorically fast compared to the ADSL rtae we had previously received, it was still below the guaranteed 7Mbps

Not necessarily! You're not comparing like with like. All ISPs estimates are in terms of the sync speed as reported by router, not throughput speed shown by speedtests.

If you would like help with your speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the steps and provide the data as requested in the Need Help with Your Home Broadband Speed or Connection? sticky. This will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Uptime is 46H40.54

DSL status.JPG
Here's the BT Broadband speed check estimate for my number....
BT Speed estimate.JPG
And this is the email from EE which confirmed details of the new plan when I agreed to buy the fibre package.... 

"YOUR LINE SPEED

We estimate that your line can support download speeds of between 11.4 Mb/sec and 35.0 Mb/sec, and upload speeds of between 3.2 Mb/sec and 7.6 Mb/sec.

Your Minimum Guaranteed Download Speed will be 7.89 Mb/sec. "

Your advice is appreciated.

Established Contributor

Earlier this evening.....

151017 1955 EE.JPG

Established Contributor

But go back just 10 days........051017 1915.JPG

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You have a long line for Fibre. I don't believe the BT Checker, & therefore EE's estimates, accurately reflects your line.

I should go back to EE & complain you are not even getting their Minimum Guaranteed Speeds. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Established Contributor

Thanks - I will do that. But might I ask your further advice (1) any ideas why I managed to get 8MBps for a short period until I switched in the ASUS?  (2) should there be any significant speed differences between routers (incidentally the router speed in "status" is only marginally different - faster- than the speedtester reports) and (3) do you see that EE will be able to remedyy, bearing in mind that the line is BT provided. Many thanks 🙂

by Grand Master
Grand Master

1. I'm think you could get about 10 Meg sync speed, just not the 27+ said by the BT checker.
  2. There should be no significant diff between routers' sync speeds. Speedtests are diff & could be variable & nowt to do with which routers.
  3. You can but try.

Established Contributor

Thanks!  Appreciate your help. I'll update if I can get an improvement from EE!

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I would question the router specs last. Assume it is not the problem. 

The engineer is only there to get a signal - he won't care why it is not upto speed.

It is the line you need to test. The BT Checker is not normally wildly inaccurate. The EE "guaranteed" minimum is usually very conservative - hence the difference between BT estimate and EE's guaranteed minimum.   So I would first ask your neighbours who are in a similar distance to the cabinet - what FTTC speeds are they getting?  If they above 10Megs then clearly your line is a problem and it is not the line distance to cab. to blame. (although, rarely, some neighbours have wildly different line routes to cabs.)

Next check your home network is not compromised - dodgy redundant sockets still connected to the master socket. Do you have a modern VDSL master socket? Is there a BT box outside or poor wiring between your house and the pole or manhole?

Lastly if you are not getting the EE estimate you can legitimately bounce the problem back to them to investigate.

Established Contributor

Thanks 

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@JohnfromRye wrote:

Thanks 

I would still see what neighbours get - even if they are a long way away it will at least give a guide as to whether the BT estimates are inaccurate.  Try a neighbour further away from the cab.  If they get more than you then that'll indicate your line is well under spec.   If you know their number you can also compare with the BT checker and see if it tallies with their attained speed.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

You don't need their phone no. The Address Checker will do, just the Postcode Checker.

Established Contributor

There is no neighbour further away from the cab - we are on the end of the line! Next door (1/4 mile away) is next nearest to the cab.  Waiting on BT Openreach now - EE have a guaranteed speed to attain!!!

Established Contributor

Well, here we are a couple of weeks on.  I've had some calls from EE at Plymouth and they have got BT Openreach to look at my line again. In theory it should sustain higher speeds, but in practice I suspect that it never will - and my friendly BT Engineer agrees unless EE lets him spend some money on the last stretch of copper. Meantime, with my speed just below the guaranteed speed, when EE called me to see how things were going I told them that we were just below guarantee of 7.89 Mps. Guess what - next morning I was recording just over the guaranteed speed at 8.09 ......      But later I connected my Asus router back in in place of the Brightbox 2 - and the Broadband.co.uk speed checker immediately showed a drop back to 6.76.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The engineer was being disingenuous. It is not EEs job to pay / do the copper. It is entirely in the hands of Openreach. 

Established Contributor

The risk - I guess - is that EE may conclude that we are just beyond the reach of fibre. The engineer said that they assess speeds according to delivery at the last pole that serves my property. Probably fine there, but there's a further 300m stretch of overhead that serves just my house - and that puts the "distance from the cabinet" beyond that normally within the range of fibre.  EE could turn round and say that they can't deliver; speed guarantees aren't worth a lot in practice, as all I could then do is to end the contract without penalty -  in which case I would have to revert to my old scheme and speeds of 2Mbps max, which would be difficult. The fiver a month difference in cost becomes irrelevant..........  You get to the point where you decide to live with it, whether that be right or wrong and just hope that advancing technology may speed things up as it developes.......

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Your estimates indicate you are not beyond the reach of fibre. So they rely on that.  If you are only getting 7 or 8 then that is disappointing.  Re-visiting this one, are you confident that the copper from last pole to home is in good nick?  The junction on the pole is not full of water?   No extensions in the back of the master socket?  Tests on ethernet?

If the fundamental truth is that the copper or aluminium is in a poor state between pole and cab then it maybe that your specific line is the one that is causing the issue. It could be tree-rub of similar that causes ingress of water in the lines on the outside of the bundle.  It is not unknown for OR engineers to do a swap to unused lines - you could suggest this to the engineer next time he comes out.  He is normally juggling as they won't normally have unused lines, and often the lines that are free are free for a reason - they have been swapped!  Engineers may have the gizmos that can detect where the losses come from and give a "120m from pole" type readout, so they can look to the faulty junction or cable.

OR will not swap out all copper from pole to cab.  If it is crap they just fudge the issue and tinker with sticking plasters.

I have never seen a VDSL service worse that the worst estimated speed (11 in your case). That is for severe impacted lines. and is measured to the Distribution Point (DP) on the pole serving you and others.   The 300m from pole to home is a very long drop but that wouldn't account for such a loss from the norm of iro. 20meg that was estimated.

I would say, based on estimates that you have case to get EE to send proper engineer, of ideally escalate to special faults investigator. Not all OR engineers have the skills to pinpoint line defects.

Established Contributor

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Ah.  So they may well have swapped you to a spare line that had poor quality too - that's why it is spare.  The local engineers have a written log of the 'avoid ' jumpers in the cab.  But OR engineers are rarely local anymore so it is often guess work which one they can use. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.