by AppleUnbitten Investigator
Investigator

Slow/intermittent broadband

Hi - I have been experiencing slow/intermittent broadband for a few days now. Nothing has changed in my setup - router is where it's always been, nothing's been unplugged. I've done the recommended checks. The forum said to post the system uptime, which is: 17:53:16

Any help would be appreciated. 

8 REPLIES 8
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Re: Slow/intermittent broadband

Hello @AppleUnbitten,

Welcome to the community,

Please see here and give the information asked for, so that you can get help, @XRaySpeX, is the one who is best to help you when he is around and you have given the information, he will need more information than what you have given here, before he can help, or ring EE, they can also check your line and see what is going on and if need be contact Open Reach.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Broadband-home-phone/Need-Help-with-Your-Home-Broadband-Speed-or-Conne...

Investigator

Ok mate, thanks for your reply. Here are the stats you mentionedScreenshot_20171227-105115.png

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Speed is fine but you seem to have an lotta FEC errors, which will tend to slow the connection down with retransmissions.

Reboot the router & try plugging it into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws or press tabs) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Post the full router stats & System Uptime when plugged into test socket.

Is the issue any better?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Here are the stats with the router plugged into the test socket, it doesn't seem to have made any difference - it's basically like a tap going on & off - speed seems ok for a minute, then freezes for a while, then it's ok again. EE have done a line check & said that's ok. I've tried a new filter, that's not made any difference. The only thing I've not changed is the cable between the router & the phone socket. Is it worth trying that? Thanks for your help. Screenshot_20171228-204908.png

Screenshot_20171228-205149.png

Highlighted
by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@AppleUnbitten, If you have another cable, it is worth checking to see if that is faulty, as that can happen, I would definitely try that and see if it makes a difference.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I can't see your images yet, but have you done the Quiet Line Test from the test socket? That is most important.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Investigator

Just done the quiet line test & it is as quiet as can be, no noise whatsoever. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Let it run from the test socket for a few days & then post full router stats & uptime.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.