by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Seamless dialling on Spark NZ

I'm currently in New Zealand where Vodafone & Spark are the 2 usable networks. Whilst on VF everything works well although their data service is shockingly slow at times.

On Spark, 3 of us here on EE have the same problem - outbound calls invariably get a local error tone. This is location & number independent, and with an engineering hat on, is core network generated not radio.

I've just done some quick testing, and Spark only accepts calls in full +44 format, rendering phonebook seamless use impossible. Unfortunately, EE seems to prefer this network sometimes - proactive traffic steering in action?

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Seamless dialling on Spark NZ

Hi, 

When outside the EU you normally have to use +44 to call back to the UK. 

EE doesn't controls networks in other countries. 

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

A little while ago, Orange used to have "seamless" and "standard" roaming alternatives the world over - all listed on the website. Not just for +44 format, but other toys too. Nothing seems to exist now, even though differences clearly exist.

We've also had incoming calls fail whilst on Spark, but for now benefit of the doubt applies to those!

by
EE Employee

Hi @bristolian

The phone will pick up what it see's as the strongest signal, it's nothing to do with EE.

Your handset is also what determines the dialing format.

I'm not sure how it works on Android but on iPhone's you have in Settings > Phone > Dial Assist.

Hope you had a lovely Christmas and New Year!

Thanks - Karen. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Hi Karen/team,

Just to pick up on one point, you say it's the handset that determines the dialling format.. could you possibly explain then..how...

Multiple phones connected to network "A" (Voda NZ, Starhub & M1-Singapore are examples).. dialling out using phonebook dialling (so standard 01/02/03/07 format) and calls connect.

Same phones connect to network "B" (Spark NZ, Singtel), suddenly calls get error tones and need to be dialled in +44 format to connect.

Connect phones back to network "A", and without changing any other setting, calls connect ok.

3 of us in our travelling party witnessed this behaviour first-hand on multiple occasions - so whilst I'm sure the "how does this work" script says that networks are the same, the on-the-ground experience doesn't tally.

by
EE Community Support Team

Hello @bristolian.

Thanks for the feedback and information on this.

We will see what we can find out for you.

Thanks.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.