by stuarttunstall Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Samsung Galaxy S8+ - Samsung Mail issues for your information

Hi..

In another thread on here i have been discussing issues with notification sounds when using the default mail app on the S8+.. Just in case anyone else is having the same issue I have put my findings below...

After doing some more research I worked out that the mail app is Samsungs mail app, nothing to do with Android.... I worked this out as I could uninstall it which I thought was odd... 

So, whilst thinking "shall I remove and reinstall from Google Play" I decided to read a few reviews... 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.android.email.provider&hl=en_GB

Interesting that Samsung did an update on the 25th July 2017 and if you read the first few reviews, including mine now you will see that this latest update has broken notifications... 

Not sure if Samsung read the reveiws but I have emailed them using the address on Google play application specification... Now I will have to wait for an update I suppose... 

Hoepfully they will do a further update and fix this issue... 

Stuart

27 REPLIES 27
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8+ - Samsung Mail issues for your information

Hi, 

Thanks for the info.

I have owned Samsung Galaxy phones since the first galaxy and have always found the built in Android or Samsung mail app terrible. 

I use Google mail app for my main email app and find it works just great. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Established Contributor

I used the default email app on my Note 4 and never had any issues, but I think that was part of Android who, as far as I have found out removed it as they want everyone to use the GMAIL app. ( yet again Google think they own ore than the internet!) 

It seems that the new one is a Samsung app... like any other app... I must say I do like it... even more when they fix this lol..

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @stuarttunstall

Thanks for letting us know.

You can contact Samsung on their support help page here.

Let us know how you get on  🙂

Established Contributor

I will do that as well.... 

I did email using the email address on Google Play... but worth a try to get it working as it should... 

As I say it is strange, every now and again it will notify me but not very often... 

Stuart

by

That is strange @stuarttunstall

Hope you get this sorted 🙂

Established Contributor

If you read the first few reviewes in that link, it seems the update was only done on the 25th, my phone arrived on the 26th so updated straight away to the latest version 😞

by

Let us know what Samsung advise @stuarttunstall

Thanks, Leanne.

Established Contributor

I will 🙂 

Hopefully they are already aware of the issue and a fix is being done as we speak 🙂 

Established Contributor

Well...i hope the reason I get no notification sound is the last update 🙂 Has to be seeing as 3 others have put it on the review site... 

It is strange, 4 times today it has worked... then silence again... 

Fingers crossed they will fix the issue asap and I will be 100% impressed with the S8+ not 95% 😉 

Established Contributor

Well, still not fixed as yet, but I have had a reply from the developers at Samsung.. 

I emailed them a dump file from the S8+ and they replied to say that they can see the accounts I ahave created... They can see that they appear to sync... The notifications seem to be working... 

I was then asked to set up "debug" mode in the email app to create a log and then recreate the issue which I did.. 

I sent 8 emails to the accounts and not one notified me by sound, popup or notification in the notification bar... although it did say "8" on the mail icon.. 

I have now emailed them this log and the latest dump file as requested ... I have also told them to read the reviews on Google Play Store and read the first few who have said it happebned after the latest update.. Why is it never there fault and always yours lol

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.android.email.provider&hl=en_GB

Really hope they fix the issue as I do like the app, if not I have tested Maidroid and Bluemail on my old Note 4 so I will use one of those, MailDroid Pro looks favorable... 

by
EE Employee

Established Contributor

Will do... I would be interetsed to hear from other S8+ users using the default Samsung mail app to see if they get sound notifications when a mail arrives.... 

Strange thing is once in a blue moon it works perfect.. but 99% the time nothing... 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@stuarttunstall

If you go to sammobile.com they have an APK section. Search on there you should be able to download the previous version through there.

Of you can make sure you turn off auto update.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Established Contributor

Thank you for that, I have just looked and the last version is on there 🙂 

How would you install that? never done that before.. 

I will wait to see what Samsung come back with... Does your sound OK? if so what version are you running, mine is 4.1.66.2 dated 25th July 🙂 

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

You will need to go into security and turn on Unknown Sources.

It is perfectly fine to do and wont harm your device.

by

Thank you for sharing @BrendonH

Cheers

Richard

🙂

Established Contributor

Silly question... would I need to uninstall the existing version before installig the earlier one? 

I will wait a few days to see what Samsung come back with first, put up with it for a week already lol... It must be there app as all other notifications work OK and others have reported it on Google Play.. 

by

Let's see what samsung say first @stuarttunstall

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@stuarttunstall

You shouldn't need to but it will say you have a newer version of the app. If so then uninstall it but like I said shouldn't need to.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.