Highlighted
by
Explorer

Samsung Galaxy S6 wifi calling

Anyone thinking of buying an old Galaxy S6 to use wifi calling be aware of 2 key points:

1. It must have been purchased from the EE store/EE online store since it uses special firmware. EE themselves seem unable to confirm whether a phone is from them so you could ask the buyer to send a screen shot of the Wifi calling option to verify this.
  2. It must have a sim installed in order for the Wifi calling option to show up

Hope this helps someone in Galaxy land!

T.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Samsung Galaxy S6 wifi calling

@tdd  Wifi calling uses your allowances so obviously you need a contract SIM card in the device.  And are you sure the S6 has to come from EE ?   Have you look at THIS because it doesn’t. 

Highlighted
by
Explorer

@Chris_Bif you research this subject in this community you will find many people who have been caught out by not buying from EE e.g. Carephone warehouse. I do not trust the EE infomation (during a EE chat session I was told me that a sim did not need to be present in order for the wi fi calling to show in the settings which turned out to be incorrect). Hence I wrote the item to help others.

Highlighted
by
EE Employee

Hi @tdd and welcome to the community.

The phone will have to have either EE firmware or Samsung BTU generic firmware in order to use WIFI calling.

Many thanks,

Lee

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@tdd   The problem is what type of firmware is on the device.   If your purchasing from a 3rd party is that firmware ment to be used in the UK ?  Most 3rd party suppliers Inport their devices for pricing reasons and these devices are not always ment to be sold in the UK. 

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

The OP is correct.

On the Galaxy S6 the firmware HAD to be EVR EE.  BTU firmware did not work for Wifi calling until the release of the S7. 

One of my gripes at the time.  I had to flash BTU firmware to be in with a chance of any software updates but lost Wifi calling because it was only available to EVR handsets. 

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

1. It must have been purchased from the EE store/EE online store since it uses special firmware. EE themselves seem unable to confirm whether a phone is from them so you could ask the buyer to send a screen shot of the Wifi calling option to verify this.

Dial *1234# on the handset to get firmware information.    You should be able to get an idea of the region from this.     EVR is EE code for their firmware.   BTU is uk unbranded, XEU is Europe/Ireland. 

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.