by idkyouth Investigator
Investigator

SMS disappeared after software update

All text messages on my Android phone were gone after upgrading to Android 7.0. This is so weird as other files are kept well on the device.

It is Samsung Galaxy S7. My last backup is 3 months ago. Is there any way to recover the messages?

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: SMS disappeared after software update

If they're not backed up they've gone. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

This is a firmware update and you are warned to back up before installing. As @XRaySpeX said unless you have backed up these are lost. I would however check your Google account as they might have backed up automatically. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by idkyouth Investigator
Investigator

I checked my google account and no backup in here. i though the data would be recovered as I formerly retrieved deleted documents after reinstall.

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

When doing updates you are advised to back up the phone first.

Anything could happen during an update which could mean you would need to do a factory restore which then deletes everything.

In fact after a major update like Marshmallow to Nougat it is advised you do a factory restore anyway.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10/One UI 2.0)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, deleted docs. might be recoverable but requires hacking the filestore or paying a firm to try & do it & it is rather hit & miss seeing that other files may have taken over the space.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by idkyouth Investigator
Investigator

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Yes, deleted docs. might be recoverable but requires hacking the filestore or paying a firm to try & do it & it is rather hit & miss seeing that other files may have taken over the space.

Thanks for the advice and just forgot posting update in here. I downloaded several programs for Android recovery and got back most of the messages with this tutorial:
http://www.tunesbro.com/recover-deleted-messages-on-android.html

Though it is not a complete recovery, I am fortunte to get back the messages.. Hope this would aslo do some help for other users who see the post in future.

by Andyed
Visitor

Thanks for sharing the article. I get great advice from this thread. Indeed those deleted messages still exist inside the phone but invisibly. Once being overwritten, they are gone permanently. I have found another article that helps me to recover all my deleted messages, which may help others with the same problem. https://www.forecovery.com/samsung/retrieve-deleted-messages-from-samsung-galaxy.html
by
EE Community Support Team

Thank you for sharing @Andyed

Have a lovely weekend 🙂

by janecoko

Dear, how about Doctor Telephone? Do you try this article? I find it in google, but I know how about it, can you help me? See more here: How to recover messages text from Samsung

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @janecoko

Have your text messages disappeared after an update too?

Chris

Highlighted
by Shehab
Visitor

It is really important to backup your SMS regularly on your Android, you can use App or backup them to your PC. 

In order to recover deleted SMS from Android, you need root your Android first and use MobiKin doctor for Android to recoevr as soon as possible.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.