Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Refused upgrade after 2 year contract

My 2 year contract ended yesterday, i spoke to someone on online chat to ask why my account was saying i couldnt upgrade. I had no outstanding balance yet i was told i couldnt have an upgrade for around another 6months due to my account being with the collections team for a couple of months earlier this year & some of my bills had been paid late. I had spoke to someone over the fone to explain y i was struggling to pay my bills as i had a family funeral to pay for but i did say i didnt want to lose the contract & i would catch up. I did pay my bill in full and my contract was reconnected back to normal. The woman on chat also told me it was because i had previously defaulted on a different debt with a debt agency some time ago & they wudnt want to put me in that situation again. I have less debt now than i had 2 years ago when i took out the contract so dont see y that shud be an issue now. Ive got no outstanding balance & ive paid my bills thruout my 2years with ee, maybe not always on time but they were paid. I left the chat as it wasnt getting me anywhere & within a few hours all my services had been restricted, got up this morn to a text saying i was using my phone too much....strange as i have unlimited texts and calls. logged onto my account to find my latest bill, so i wasnt even given chance to pay it. Phoned up to speak to customer services to ask about upgrade & restrictions. Had restrictions lifted but told i cudnt have upgrade until id made 3 payments on time. I offered to pay the latest bill to clear my balance & also set up a direct debit and pay 3 months up front which wud guarantee my payments werent late but that still wasnt gud enuf apparantly as payments have to be made when the bill is issued. What a croc of **bleep**. Sorry but i think its disgusting, everyone else gets their upgrades yet i arent allowed because of a completely different debt thats nothing to do with ee from years ago that i apparantly defaulted on. and because my payments are sometimes afew days late....ive still paid them over the past 2 years. And i guess im expected to carry on paying the ridiculously high contract for a fone that hardly works until im told yet again im still not eligible for wotever reason they can find. If id known all this i wudnt have bothered staying coz it isnt exactly an amazing contract. Absolutely gutted as my son wont get his new fone for xmas. Thanks ee

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Refused upgrade after 2 year contract

@babycakes1403   To put it  

simply your a credit risk, you failed to make your payments on time when you agreed to pay each month on the set date.   EE are under on obligation to allow you to upgrade when you get to your upgrade date on the simple fact EE need to know your going to pay on time if they allow you to upgrade and at present you need to prove your a good bill payer.  

You can add funds to your account to cover the bills but if you go out out outside of your allowance you will not have enough funds on your account to pay your bills.  

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

Maybe pay your debts on time and you wouldn't have this issue.

As a responsible lender EE have to weigh up the risk you pose and the cost to EE. They are taking reasonable steps and telling you that as long as you honour your payments they will reconsider their decision. This seems like a fair approach to be honest.

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Highlighted
by
EE Employee

Hi and welcome to the community @babycakes1403

I understand your frustration with this issue.

If your account has fell into collection and is disconnected for non payment this will place a flag onto your account.

The flag will be removed over time as long as the bills are paid on time and kept upto date.

If you are not happy with how this has been handled please see our ways to complain.

Many thanks,

Lee 

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

But i offered to pay upfront. They said 3 payments so if i pay 3 months up
front they have the 3 payments. Ive had a rough few years & got out a bad
marriage & have had to move bank accounts several times hence y i decided
not to do direct debit until i get settled. Its not easy bringing up 3 kids
as u dont kno from one day to the next what u have to pay out. It isnt that
i dont intend to pay as i dont want my son to be without his fone & i do
fone up and explain if im having probs paying which is what ee tells people
to do.x
Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

But i offered to pay upfront. They said 3 payments so if i pay 3 months up front they have the 3 payments. Ive had a rough few years & got out a bad marriage & have had to move bank accounts several times hence y i decided not to do direct debit until i get settled. Its not easy bringing up 3 kids as u dont kno from one day to the next what u have to pay out. It isnt that i dont intend to pay as i dont want my son to be without his fone & i do fone up and explain if im having probs paying which is what ee tells people to do.x

Highlighted
by
EE Employee

Hi @babycaked1403

I understand that you offered to pay in advance, unfortunately the system does not see that as a payment for particular months but for the current month.

You would need to wait for the flag to remove in order to upgrade.

Many thanks,

Lee 

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

And for your information i do pay my debts as and when i can, i dont pay them late on purpose just to wind people up. U make it sound like i have money sat in my bank but just cant be arsed to pay my bills. If i had the money to pay bills i wudnt have debts in the first place but unfortunately with half the country being in more debt than ever before & living in poverty some of us dont have a choice & getting into debt is the only way to provide for our kids. I can tell that uve never been unfortunate enuf to be in that situation by your patronising non sympathetic tone. Merry xmas to you & i hope next year is your year

Highlighted
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@babycakes1403  Your assumptions are not fact so please do assume anything, you have no idea what others have been through. Anyway not being allowed to upgrade unfortunately is your own doing how ever it was caused and if you was going to give credit to someone would you give it to someone who has late payments ?  EE need to know that you are going to pay on time each month and at present they do not see you doing this as you feeling admitted you’ve had late payments.   EE are not going to allow you to get in to more debt and this is for your benefit not theirs.  

Highlighted
by Investigator
Investigator

Just wanted to let you know that i managed to get a new contract with a different network, the first one i applied for so i guess im not such a credit risk after all. First attempt, no deposit no upfront costs, lovely new iphone 8 plus & an amazing deal. Loads more of everything for a cheaper price than ive been paying with ee. So glad i didnt get the upgrade otherwise id of been stuck here for another 2 years. So thank you ee for the offer of maybe getting an upgrade in 6 mnths but no thank you. Customer loyalty obviously means nothing to you, never ever been treat so badly. Glad to be leaving. Happy new year

Highlighted
by
EE Employee

Hi @babycakes1403

I'm glad you are now sorted, please do remember to either put your 30days cancellation or request your PAC code.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.