by Gnomeface
Explorer

Re: unhibernating SIM (Orange PAYG) - correct contact #

What unbelievably patronising responses to a genuine query!

I too have an Orange PAYG phone, which has been deactivated although it has been used occasionally in the last year - and certainly within the last 9 months.  Every method I've used to contact EE has resulted in their automated services demanding the mobile number I'm calling about and then telling me I've made a mistake - before cutting me off.

Why does EE not have an option anywhere (that I can find) to talk to a human being?  Why can't I email customer services?

How do I get the balance on my PAYG back from EE?  - they are guilty of theft if they don't return it.

The EE system is either cleverly designed to keep out anyone who isn't a regular paying customer, or is programmed by inept teenagers with little experience of reality.

I also use Vodaphone (who took over my previous provider quite seamlessly with no glitches) and O2 (who are not great, but look brilliant alongside EE).

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Hi @Gnomeface 

Welcome to the EE Community,

If you dial freephone 0800 317 720 you will be put straight through to a advisor without the IVR asking you anything.

Thanks,

David.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor
Solution

Hi @Gnomeface 

Welcome to the EE Community,

If you dial freephone 0800 317 720 you will be put straight through to a advisor without the IVR asking you anything.

Thanks,

David.

View solution in original post

by Gnomeface
Explorer

David - many thanks.  I tried that number and was put through directly to an adviser.

I wasn't aware that the "unused within 6 months = deactivated" was a legal requirement for all mobile providers.  The 3-months option to get the sim re-activated was Orange, and EE appears to offer 30 days max.  Not much consolation as my contract was with Orange, but at least it's clear that I have no option other than a new PAYG sim and I won't be getting any money back.

The number itself isn't critical as I keep it for making emergency calls only (unlike the original poster who has his embedded in a security system) - although it isn't much use for emergencies if I don't get an email warning that it will be disconnected!  System designers take note!

A pity that EE's so-called customer services prevented me from contacting them directly, but David's response did enable me to do it.  Thanks again.

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Gnomeface 

You can request a free PAYG sim here

https://shop.ee.co.uk/price-plans/free-sim

by Gnomeface
Explorer

Thanks again - the advisor I spoke to suggested that I take the phone to an EE shop who can check that it's all OK and supply a PAYE sim for it - at no cost other than the initial top-up.

My comment about EE systems being designed by teenagers seems to have been confirmed by me receiving 10 emails this afternoon (so far) as a result of my query, including:

"Yay! You unlocked the Conversation starter badge";

"Yay! You unlocked the Community Spirit badge"

"Yay! You unlocked the Saved the day badge"

"Yay! You unlocked the Helping hand badge"

Yay indeed!  It's been around 70 years since I was awarded any badges!

If only I'd had one that said "Yay! Your 'phone number is about to be debadged" ...

by Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@Gnomeface 

All online forums have a rank system 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.