by oldpete
Explorer

Re: brightbox 2, internet flashing orange?

same  thing happened to me  at the wrong time, ie  the middle of the night,  so I switched the router off for half an hour, andthen on again(pretty  tricky if you are in a  wheelchair), and then waited  another half an hour and   all was well, but  I   am left wondering WHY  does the light start flashing?-it is a symptom of  WHAT?

SO, in the end the old switch it offf  and switch it on   againroutine seems to work-as  airline pilots  say-or  used to say before they tried it with an aeroplane.

It is perhaps a liitle overoptimistic  to expect courtesy from near monopolies, but I   have found that a little calm charm-sucking up, seems to work  wonders.On one occasion they sent a  chap around to fix  my  problem the very next day;it sometimes it helps to have been a  customer for a very  long time-since  1990 in my case. A  mobile with a  mobile hotspot facility   could be a stand-in   in emergencies,  and if they have any decency-as they once did with me,  they will give  you a  bunch of data as a sop-if  you make a big enough  fuss.  

5 REPLIES 5
by Grand Master
Grand Master

@oldpete: Welcome to the EE Home BB Forum. That thread you latched onto was over 3 years old, so I've started your own.

A flashing orange light is a symptom of a disconnection between your router & the exchange or cab. The router is then trying to resync. They sometimes happen for various reasons but you should not worry about them unless they happen frequently. Lines can go for weeks or more w/out a resync; even 1 a day should be bearable.

You can see if they have been happening from a combination of the following router values:

1. System Uptime on top of System Log is the time since the router was last rebooted.
  2. Connection Time on initial Status page is the time since the last resync.
  3. Loss of Signal in DSL Status is how many resyncs there have been during the Uptime.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by oldpete
Explorer

Thank you for your contribution, but I'm afraid the jargon you employ means
absolutely nothing to me, and probably nobody else at all.

Actually, when I rang up EE a very charming and helpful young man said that
there might well be something beginning to go wrong with my router and
fortunately he didn't blind me with jargon at all.I'm just a lawyer, I
don't how these things work,either I'm glad to say that the people at the
EE to whom I spoke were most concerned that I nearly fell over when I stood
up from my wheelchair to try to switch the infernal router off. It was a
welcome manifestation of humanity. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@oldpete: I'm sorry the you had difficulty understanding what I had written. Please tell me what of:

"A flashing orange light is a symptom of a disconnection between your router & the exchange or cab. The router is then trying to resync. They sometimes happen for various reasons but you should not worry about them unless they happen frequently. Lines can go for weeks or more w/out a resync; even 1 a day should be bearable."

you don't follow & I will try to explain it. As far as I can see it is in plain English & contains no jargon, except perhaps for "resync" which is just another way saying it's trying to reconnect the line.

I agree that the rest of my post assumes you know your way around the router but is not essential to my main points; just gilding on the lily.

@oldpete wrote:
a very charming and helpful young man said that there might well be something beginning to go wrong with my router

No matter how charming & concerned he was this is most unlikely unless the router is very old, which a Brightbox 2 won't be. There is no evidence for this. It is all supposition & purely circumstantial.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by oldpete
Explorer

I wouldn't know, I know less about routers than you know about the
niceties of Order53 of the rules of the supreme court, or the
intricacies of judicial review, but at least my young friend was humane
enough to be concerned about a crippled old man being deprived of the
internet for which he has paid, and is paying- he was just being a kind
and decent human being, which many might commend, albeit not those not
infected with such romantic ideas, and more concerned with screwing the
last shekel out of the likes of your servant here present, who themselves
would doubtless frown upon such naive sentiments as he exhibited.I
just want the infernal thing to do what I pay for it to do, and not to
require me to do what a one-handed cripple cannot easily do without
considerable risk to his well-being, about which our young friend was
humane enough to express some concern, and did his employers no little
good in the process, while my interlocutor-notwithstanding a
considerable delay between his remarks and mine, was left unhappy and
disgruntled, having been treated with insolent indifference, going by his
account, and you might care to wonder which of us will speak with
benevolence of EE?-but does it matter to what the inhumane call the
'bottom line'?-He was simply being HUMAN(condemn that if you will, and
it pleases you.Were he my servant I would commend him(and raise his
salary), also suffering from that naive weakness, being an human being.
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Good. it's reassuring to hear that you were treated with due consideration by the EE agent.

Still, aren't you in danger of allowing the emotional to override the technical in what is, after all, a technical matter?

You don't even know at this stage whether you do have an issue. A flashing orange light every few days/weeks is not a problem.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.