by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Re: RPI increase applies to full tariff not the monthly charge I actually pay, w

Out of interest, how much money are we talking about?

If my understanding is correct you're talking about a difference of £5.00 between tariff cost pre and post discount, so difference of about 20p per month?

by nittyg Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Re: RPI increase applies to full tariff not the monthly charge I actually pay, w

weather its 1p or £2 is irrelavant

so far neither of the people i have talked too on here or live chat  have shown any relavant terms to prove the RPI figure should be increased on the full price of the tariff

hence my complaint to the CEO if i,m wrong then so be it, at least i queried it in full,

with what ive seen in the terms and wording i decided to challenge it because ive been shown no proof or any relavant information to state otherwise that the RPI 4.1% figure will be added to the  full price (non discounted)  rather than the base figure (advanced monthly payment) you currently pay i can see this clearly in the terms and wording

but time will tell when i hear their reply

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Ok.

I think you've misunderstood how your tariff and invoice are constructed but hey-ho. I know my invoice states "EE Extra - 10GB £55.99" less "Friends & Family 30% off".

You should ask for your early termination fee and see if it's based on your tariff cost, or your discounted tariff cost.

Good luck.

Ewan

Established Contributor

i know what my bill shows, and what my discounted price is

i agreed to pay £25.97 in total

in the terms it clearly shows the following

'Monthly Charge'
the amount that You pay each month in advance for Your Price Plan Service

yes my monthly advance is £25.97

This clearly says the amount you PAY is the monthly charge that the increase is based on, otherwise it would say:

'Monthly Charge' the amount that the contract price is prior to any discounts

does it state this anywhere in the terms, or infact anything similer in wording ?

so again as far as i can see there is NO wording or anything about discounts or anywhere else where it states the RPI figure should be based on the full price of your tariff

if there is please show me

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@nittyg  Here is my tariff I see this when I open my account 

7390C2DF-2D80-4881-9C24-8B13A785E18A.jpeg

My tariff is £62.99 I just happen to get a discount applied to my contract but it’s still a £62.99 tariff.  And the RPI is based on that.     You agreed to a contract at what ever price that was and then you had a discount applied to the contract price.  The discounted price that you pay is not the contract price of your tariff. 

Established Contributor

hi chris

yup your advance payment isnt £62 a month tho coming out of your bank is it

again look at the wording i showed you earlier its in the terms,

and yes i agreed to a £25.97 contract at no point was i told the rpi figure rise would be based on the full non discounted price of my tariff rather than my base

again you have shown no clear terms that state the RPI increase figure will be on top the full price contract (non discounted) wheres the wording on that in the terms,

or maybe even any mention of "prior to discounts" wording maybe? as i cant see any

but anyway i shall leave it there,as just going round in circles

i,m awaiting the CEO reply about my points ive raised

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Ok.

My plan is EE Extra - 10GB £55.99 as per screenshot below, so RPI increase is based on that figure.

ee.jpg

What tariff/price does it state for you?

ewan

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@nittyg  Can you please post a image of your contract price like I have.  

Amd my tariff is a £62.99 tariff its just I don’t pay that as I get a discount applied.  

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@Chris_B snap haha!

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Screenshot_20180220-175142_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

Here is mine.

My tariff is £25. No discount for me unfortunately 😞  but same would apply if I had discount I would have agreed to £25 a month with a discount.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10 Beta)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
by richytay Investigator
Investigator

I really couldn't be bothered to argue that much about 20.5p/month

Established Contributor

well 2 replies from the CEO to date since yesterday

i must say its going well for them up to yet

the 1st reply i had (i will copy the main bits, i dont think they even know themselves lol)

"I have checked the the increase and its 4% so it works out a £1.24 increase"

errr hello wasnt the rise 4.1%

2nd reply

"Thanks for sharing your concerns about the increase to your monthly price plan charge. Your price plan as increased by £1.30 "

still ongoing about my main questions about the terms,on weather EE  should base the RPI increase on your discounted price or full price will let you know either way

hopefully i;ll get a straight forward answer next time

Established Contributor

well after 3 attempts to get them to answer my main specific point

"please present me with the relavant terms relating to the RPI being based on the original price of contract prior to discounts and not the discounted price"

i also asked them to explain why they sent me 2 completley diffrent figures 1 for 4% and other was even higher

they have refused to answer either of them question, but rather just send me a deadlock letter lol

i guess they not willing to answer my main point because they cant show me the relavant terms, if they have them why simply not send them me?

end of day its going to cost EE when i take this to the ombudsman, could have easily been avoided rather than avoid answering them and fobbing me off with deadlock letter instead

ombudsman it is then

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@nittyg  When you look at your account what does it say your contract price is ?  As a discount on a contract is not the new contract price.  It’s just a discount you get on the contract price. 

Established Contributor

chris weve been through this before so theres no point going round in circles,

but here is my discounted price £25.97 and the full price £30.97

yes it maybe just pence end of the day but thats not my issue

my whole point of this discusion is

where in the terms are the relavant wording or refrences relating to the RPI figure increase being based on the original price of contract prior to discounts and not the discounted price

nothing against you chris and i,m not being rude etc

id just like a simple answer rather than being pointed to the generic terms of rpi increases

yes i know where they are

i also know where the defination of monthly charge is and others, but as of yet i can see no mention or wording relating to the above point

even after asking the CEO care team, they cant/wont even answer it

which is now why i,m forced to take this to the ombudsman

if i lose so be it, but at least now maybe i will get a definative answer through going though them

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@nittygwrote:

chris weve been through this before so theres no point going round in circles,

but here is my discounted price £25.97 and the full price £30.97

yes it maybe just pence end of the day but thats not my issue

my whole point of this discusion is

where in the terms are the relavant wording or refrences relating to the RPI figure increase being based on the original price of contract prior to discounts and not the discounted price

nothing against you chris and i,m not being rude etc

id just like a simple answer rather than being pointed to the generic terms of rpi increases

yes i know where they are

i also know where the defination of monthly charge is and others, but as of yet i can see no mention or wording relating to the above point

even after asking the CEO care team, they cant/wont even answer it

which is now why i,m forced to take this to the ombudsman

if i lose so be it, but at least now maybe i will get a definative answer through going though them

This is why normally EE offer percentage discounts, rather than absolute ones.

For example, if RPI was 5%, your tariff was £100pm and you had a 20% discount, both ways of applying RPi would end up the same.

Pre-Discount RPI: £100 + 5% = £105, less 20% is £84

Post Discount RPI: £100 less 20% is £80. £80 + 5% is £84.

So for most people here with percentage discounts, they see no difference in how RPI is applied. However if you've been given a £5 a month discount, it means you'll pay the difference, which is 21 pence a month.

If you really feel that arguing over 21p a month is worth the argument, considering you've already got £5 off your bills anyway and most people don't, fire away. But considering RPI is calculated pre-discount, then the discount applied, you're getting the correct price rise.

If you want to avoid this in future, ask for a percentage discount when negotating discounts, that way the RPI will apply based on your discount percentage and work itself out.

Established Contributor

its not about the odd pence to be honest,

even if it was EE couldnt even get that right with 2 diffrent increase prices given to me by the CEO care team lol

its weather EE are allowed to base their RPI increase figure on the discounted price or the full price of your plan (which they currently doing) for all it seems

all i wanted was a definitive answer from them (CEO care team) to the point raised by myself

they couldnt/didnt answer it so with my deadlock letter i shall take it further, at further expense to EE

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@nittygwrote:

its not about the odd pence to be honest,

even if it was EE couldnt even get that right with 2 diffrent increase prices given to me by the CEO care team lol

its weather EE are allowed to base their RPI increase figure on the discounted price or the full price of your plan (which they currently doing) for all it seems

all i wanted was a definitive answer from them (CEO care team) to the point raised by myself

they couldnt/didnt answer it so with my deadlock letter i shall take it further, at further expense to EE

I wont second guess the ombudsmann process because it could go either way.

As I said, if you have a percentage discount, it works itself out, which makes this an edge case.

As the contract prices are made up by EE anyway, there's nothing stopping EE from treating the discounted rate AS the contract price. As i said, after all, effectively those on a percentage discount get the discount taken away from the price rise, where-as absolute discount customers do not. That's potentially a case for unfair treatment.

It's a legitimate point, but it just looks a little silly at first glance over the grand total of £2.52 a year!

Established Contributor

not sure where u got "£2.52 a year from, its well, ....if i,m to take CEO care teams word for it ...shall we say £1.30 extra a Month!

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

@nittygwrote:

not sure where u got "£2.52 a year from, its well, ....if i,m to take CEO care teams word for it ...shall we say £1.30 extra a Month!

Thats the difference between applying RPI on your full and discounted bills.

RPI on £25.97 at 4.1% is £1.06 p/m

RPI on 30.97 at 4.1% is 1.27 p/m

£1.27 - £1.06 = 21p

21p x 12 for your annual rate of increase is £2.52 extra compared to if RPI was applied to your discounted rate.

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.