by tom00 Contributor
Contributor

Preventing SIM card deactivation

Hi, I have a specific question about preventing SIM deactivation. I'm living abroad in Colombia, and want to retain my UK number (that's linked to all my online accounts, it's my whatsapp number, it's a memorable number, I've had it for the last 5 years, etc, etc).

This is my situation:

I topped up my PAYG orange SIM with £10 from a cashpoint in the UK (or rather my sister did it for me) on the 16th March 2017. I'm aware that I have 180 days of non-use before my SIM is deactivated. This would make me fine until the 11th September 2017. I don't get home until the 17th December 2017. The issue is: Orange has no roaming agreement with any Colombian network. I can't connect to a network at all. Period.

So the "rule" is I have to make any chargable activity from my phone within 180 days to prevent deactivation. So my question is this:

If I buy a £1 internet data pack from my orange online account, and this £1 is deducted from my £10 credit, does this count as chargable activity, and would it therefore prevent my SIM from being deactivated?

And secondly:

Does the fact that I won't have connected to a network with my SIM card for well over 180 days (by the time I return to the UK) have any bearing on the situation?

And thirdly:

Does topping up my phone by any means (someone doing it from a UK cashpoint for me, me using my debit card on my account online, etc) count as chargable activity?

I would really appreciate clear and concise answers to these questions. And I hope my information about the deactivation policy might be of use to anyone else looking for a clear and concise answer (as there is much conflicting information all over the internet on this).

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Re: Preventing SIM card deactivation

Hello @tom00 to add to @Christopher_G confirmation no the SIM card does not need to connect to the EE (Orange) network or any other network as well as purchasing extras.

You could keep the SIM card permanently switched off forever as long as you top up, purchase an extra or register it every 5 months or less it would never deactivate. 🙂

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
by tom00 Contributor
Contributor

Preventing SIM deactivation

Hi, I have a specific question about preventing SIM deactivation. I'm living abroad in Colombia, and want to retain my UK number (that's linked to all my online accounts, it's my whatsapp number, it's a memorable number, I've had it for the last 5 years, etc, etc).

This is my situation:

I topped up my PAYG orange SIM with £10 from a cashpoint in the UK (or rather my sister did it for me) on the 16th March 2017. I'm aware that I have 180 days of non-use before my SIM is deactivated. This would make me fine until the 11th September 2017. I don't get home until the 17th December 2017. The issue is: Orange has no roaming agreement with any Colombian network. I can't connect to a network at all. Period.

So the "rule" is I have to make any chargable activity from my phone within 180 days to prevent deactivation. So my question is this:

If I buy a £1 internet data pack from my orange online account, and this £1 is deducted from my £10 credit, does this count as chargable activity, and would it therefore prevent my SIM from being deactivated?

And secondly:

Does the fact that I won't have connected to a network with my SIM card for well over 180 days (by the time I return to the UK) have any bearing on the situation?

And thirdly:

Does topping up my phone by any means (someone doing it from a UK cashpoint for me, me using my debit card on my account online, etc) count as chargable activity?

I would really appreciate clear and concise answers to these questions. And I hope my information about the deactivation policy might be of use to anyone else looking for a clear and concise answer (as there is much conflicting information all over the internet on this).

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

Did you read the EE hibernation thread

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
by tom00 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for pointing me to that information, but I still require clarification:

You must make a connection action at least once every 180 days. If you do not, your SIM card 
will be disconnected from the network, and you will not be able to use the service at all.
You will also lose your mobile phone number. Any credit on your account at the time of
disconnection will be forfeited. ‘Connection actions’ are: – Making a chargeable outbound call – Sending a text message – Topping up your accountMaking a payment for an Add-On – Registering your details

So, even if I don't connect to the network, topping up my phone and making a payment (that is deducted from my credit) both count as connection actions, and would therefore prevent the hibernation process?

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @tom00

Thanks for getting back to us and thank you @Northerner for your help.

In order to stop the hibernation, you would have to make a chargeable call or send a text.

I understand that you're having problems connecting whilst in Colombia. Because of this, I recommend contacting our customer services from an alternative phone so that they can ensure your SIM is not put into hibernation.

Chris

by Grand Master
Grand Master

"Making a payment for an Add-On" surely must include buying a pack. @Christopher_G, please could you check this as what you say "you would have to make a chargeable call or send a text" is not the whole story according to the PAYG Non-Standard Price Guide .

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by tom00 Contributor
Contributor

@XRaySpeX wrote:

"Making a payment for an Add-On" surely must include buying a pack. @Christopher_G, please could you check this as what you say "you would have to make a chargeable call or send a text" is not the whole story according to the PAYG Non-Standard Price Guide .

Thank you XRaySpeX: I would still like clarification on this point, as it has some bearing on whether or not orange can decide if my account has been "inactive"

I understand that you're having problems connecting whilst in Colombia. Because of this, I recommend contacting our customer services from an alternative phone so that they can ensure your SIM is not put into hibernation.

And Chris: I'd love to call, but it just isn't possible from my PAYG Colombian phone, nor do I have a landline. I need a live chat link, or email correspondence - would you be able to help there?

At this point I do feel like speaking with someone who can look at my account details would help me to resolve this issue.

To complicate matters slightly: I went ahead and spent £1 on an internet pack, using my online account. Just like almost every other thing I try to do on there, it returned an error. And today I checked, and £2 credit has been deducted! If buying extras from the website doesn't work, access to the page should be taken away... (and for that matter, when will "my account" actually work?!)

by
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @tom00 and @XRaySpeX.

Apologies for the confusion, I have confirmed that the information you quoted from our help article above is correct:-

‘Connection actions’ are:
– Making a chargeable outbound call
– Sending a text message

– Establishing a mobile data connection
– Topping up your account
– Buying a pack or Add-On
– Registering your details

I completely agree that it will be best to speak to someone who has account access to look over your account. However, we don't have a live chat service or email correspondence for queries like this.

I realise this may be difficult for you, but, the only ways to contact us are on our get in touch page.

Chris

by Profile closed
Not applicable
Solution

Hello @tom00 to add to @Christopher_G confirmation no the SIM card does not need to connect to the EE (Orange) network or any other network as well as purchasing extras.

You could keep the SIM card permanently switched off forever as long as you top up, purchase an extra or register it every 5 months or less it would never deactivate. 🙂

by tom00 Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for clearing that up! In other words:

As long as you perform a "chargeable" or "connection" action, which includes topping up your phone, or buying an add-on, from your online account, the SIM wouldn't have to be inside a switched on phone, for as long as you want and it would remain active.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Hello @tom00 yes that is correct. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.