by theofordham
Explorer

Porting number from EE to EE

I am an existing EE customer. I have a new contract and need to port my number from the old contract to the new. 

I have been told there is no way of doing this and I have to go via another network. 

I have bought a PAYG O2 sim and have my PAC Code. 

Does anyone know how long this process will typically take?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Re: Porting number from EE to EE

Basically the next working day from when you submit it to EE - see How to keep your mobile number  for full details.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
by Grand Master
Grand Master
Solution

Basically the next working day from when you submit it to EE - see How to keep your mobile number  for full details.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC

View solution in original post

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @theofordham

Thanks for coming to community 🙂

Has the answer @XRaySpeX has given you answered your question?

Let me know if you need any further help.

Thank you

Richard

🙂

by theofordham
Explorer

Thank you. I’ll let you know how I get on. 

by

That would be great @theofordham.

Have a great weekend 🙂

by JustinAwesome Contributor
Contributor

Despite what you have been told, this can all be done within EE. Whilst the process of temporarily porting your number to a payg line still takes place, this can be done by EE call handlers.

They CAN use what I think is called a T.E.L. code and port your number to an EE payasyougo for 1 day then back to your new contract. So you don't have to muck about with A.N. Other network at all. It is not well publicised and you'll need to be speaking to a call handler who is good at their job, but it CAN be done. Good luck.

by

Hi @JustinAwesome,

Although it's possible, the process you describe isn't straight forward and would have to be completed in three separate stages, over a period of days. It could also result in additional price plan charges.

It's always best to upgrade your existing contract to keep the same number.

Thanks

James

Contributor

Hi James,

Thank you for your response.

From the wording of your post, I understand you must work for EE.

I hope you do not object, but I am going to paraphrase your post.

Although it's possible, I appreciate that you acknowledge it IS possible.

the process you describe isn't straight forward

(It's easy to say "my mate this and my mate that.." but still.) My direct superior at work had this process completed by a very efficient Call Handler 2 years ago, on EE. It took 5 mins on the phone to facilitate and went ahead with no issue.

and would have to be completed in three separate stages, over a period of days. 

Your EE customer has to;

1/ Request PAC code from EE.

2/ Purchase PAYGO sim card from A.N. Other network.

3/ Port number to new PAYGO sim using PAC code provided by EE.

4/ Port number back to new EE contract when new phone and sim received.

This doesnt include all steps and the possible cross over of charges when ending existing contract and beginning new.

The EE call handler on the other hand has to ask a few questions, and type in some details and data on the computer terminal that they are seated at.

It could also result in additional price plan charges.

Can you explain where these additional price plan charges would arise from when EE in doing the above would be helping an existing customer? If a customer attempts this process without the assistance of their existing network (EE) then extra costs are incurred to them in any case.

It's always best to upgrade your existing contract to keep the same number.

I agree that this could be the best, and least hassle for the customer option if EE did not insist on charging upwards of £13 per month MORE than the price contracts can be obtained for after a short online search, staying on the EE network.

I understand that Vodafone, BT, Three, 02 all also use this disgusting practice on their existing customers. It makes it very diffcult to stay a customer.

Thanks

JustinAwesome

by

Hi @JustinAwesome,

Yes, I work in the EE Community Support Team.

Our systems can't complete this process as quickly as you describe so I think the person you spoke to may have been in a slightly different situation to the original poster in this thread.

Many independent mobile phone retailers can process EE upgrades, meaning it's not usually necessary to take a new contract.

Thanks

James

Contributor

Hi James,

Thank you again for your response.

I think I must have been unclear in what I wrote. I don't think for a moment that the whole process of porting could be completed in 5 mins. The process would in deed take 48hrs or so.

The point was that the conversation on the phone to arrange the port was very brief, all handled very efectively by the EE call handler. The person I spoke to (as stated, my direct superior at work) had purchased a new contract phone contract on EE from an independent mobile phone retailer because EE upgrade service was unable or unwilling to be competitive, and was in the same position as the OP, different only in that he hadn't yet purchased his sacrificial PAYGO sim. He chanced the request with EE direct, and was fortunate to be answered by a very capable EE call handler.

The necessity to take a new contract comes mainly from the uncompetitive prices offered by EE for 'upgrade'.

The OP states that;"I have been told there is no way of doing this and I have to go via another network". This is not true and this I know, and therefore shared. This will help others who are told this inaccurate piece of information, when looking for help and advice on this forum. It happens all the time.

Why do EE insist on making it appear so difficult and/or expensive to maintain the same number on a fair price new contract?

Thanks

Justin Awesome

Could you explain the additional price plan charges that you suggested this process, if carried out by EE, could result in please?

by

No problem @JustinAwesome

The additional charges I referred to would be incurred due to any crossover period in monthly plan costs caused by running two plans simultaneously. This can be avoided by upgrading, either with EE direct or a third party retailer.

Thanks

James

by martin451 Contributor
Contributor

I agree wholeheartedly with Justin above.

I am still waiting for EE to activate the number I wish to keep. Here’s my story...

I wanted to keep my mobile number with EE (I have been a loyal EE customer for a number of years and currently have three different contracts/phones with EE) and was informed by an EE customer adviser that the only way to retain my number with EE (with my new monthly contract/phone - also with EE) was to transfer my number to another supplier and then port it back again to EE. This differs from the procedure I used 18 months ago with EE, when an adviser I talked to over the phone transferred the number I wanted to keep to my new phone and new contract. It was live within an hour.

It sounds simple to port your number to another supplier then port it back, but it is not. And probably deliberately so. This time, I had to request a PAC number from EE, then go out to a supermarket and purchase a Pay As You Go SIM card (99p from Tesco), put the new card into my phone, contact the new supplier (Vodafone in this case) by registering my personal details with them (i.e. setting up a new account) and filling out an online form to port the number that I wanted to keep.

When I contacted Vodafone the same day to request a PAC number (to enable me to port the number back to my new phone on EE), I was advised that I couldn't transfer my number back to EE until 24 hours had elapsed. I didn't want to spend £10 on a minimum top-up, so I was basically stuck with a dumb phone for a day. Thanks EE.

I then contacted Vodafone the next day (I couldn't access a call that someone had left because I had no credit on the PAYG SIM). They explained that EE was the only company that uses this ridiculous process when customers want to keep their number when starting a new contract with a new phone (as opposed to an upgrade directly with EE - which is always much more expensive than going through third party sellers such as mobiles.co.uk - crazy!). Incidentally, internal number transfers from Vodafone to Vodafone do not require a PAC. EE take note.

I received a PAC number from Vodafone, eventually found the online form on the EE website and put in the new PAC number to transfer my mobile number back to EE.

When I submitted the form on the EE website a message advised me that the transfer back to EE "will take up to five working days." This is ludicrous. Thanks again EE - your customer service is really impressive.

If EE do not make this process any easier then the next time I have to port my number to another supplier in order to keep it, I will definitely not be porting it back to EE. So much for retaining your customer base.

I note on some other posts concerning this issue that the EE advisers always state that it is easier to simply upgrade with EE rather than take out a new contract elsewhere (which coincidentally always seems to result in a more expensive contract/deal for the loyal customer). For example, one adviser stated: "We are unable to transfer a pay monthly EE number to another EE contract. This would have had to be an upgrade not a new connection with us."

If this ridiculous process is simply a cynical ploy by EE to try and make it as difficult as possible for existing customers to keep their numbers when taking out a new contract (also with EE), I would suggest it is a bit disingenuous. However, if EE is actually trying to send its loyal customers to other mobile networks - to encourage them to take out contracts with their competitors rather than staying with EE - then I congratulate them on a job well done.

I wonder: Does Ofcom have anything to say about this...?

by iceman786 Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I am in the same situation, my contract is over with EE.  I have found a cheaper  new contract with a third party also on EE, not upgrade new contract.  I want to take my number over.  I have been informed EE can port my number over to another EE contract internally which they don't want you to know so no need to go to another provider then back to EE.  It called PAC code out PAC code in.  I will confront the retention team to see what their response is.  I have been offered a samsung s8 on my contract from EE, I can get the same deal for s9 elsewhere for the same price, if EE don't match this offer, i'm off but funny i'll still be on EE 😉 

by
EE Employee

Hi @iceman786 and welcome to the community.

Third party companies are able to perform upgrades, have you asked to see whether they can do the deal via an upgrade.

We are unable to move numbers from EE pay monthly to EE pay monthly accounts as they are based on the same system.

Many thanks,

Lee

Highlighted
by iceman786 Contributor
Contributor

yes i've asked & the deal is only available as a new contract.

I would have thought it's easier to move a number on the same system?

certainly is where I work.

I can't see the point of going round the houses to end up back in the same place, don't make things easy do you? I remember when the furture was bright, 😉

feels like we going backwards

by
EE Employee

Hi @iceman786

I understand your frustration with this.

Have you spoken to the retention's team to see if they can look into a similar deal?

Many thanks,

Lee

by iceman786 Contributor
Contributor

I have to return the s8 ee gave me as upgrade first.  Next week once they have it back i will speak with rentention team to see if they can match the deal otherwise im gone.  No big deal ill get my number moved over aswell if it comes to that. Thanks lee.  Only been with ee over 20 years

by bwhittaker2112
Explorer

I'm having this same problem now.

i want to bring both my parents from tesco and upgrade my wifes phone, its 5 pounds a month more with EE upgrades (This is also taking into account brining two new contracts from tesco plus im a 6 year customer) than the new deal on uswitch - mobiles net etc.

can i port the number to asda pay as you go then back to EE on the new contract i have to take out for the deal, or because asda is EE platform is it the same problem?

its very very disappointing good paying existing customer can't get the same deal as any old new joe bloggs, its not even close, the stress you cause me when my misses has to not have a phone for 24hrs while its porting twice! lol

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@bwhittaker2112: Yes, you may go via Asda or any other network.

by

Hi @bwhittaker2112,

Welcome to the EE Community.

Have you asked the retailer if they can upgrade existing EE customers?

Thanks

James

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.