by Grup40 Investigator
Investigator

Poor download speed

I recently moved house and the quoted speeds upon request have changed when the home move was finally done. Thats the least of my concerns. I really Chieveley about 10-12Mbs when I'm quoted 10-29. Since we have been it it hasn't risen above 15 and often falls below 10. I spoke to someone on the phone from EE who told me to change wireless settings on my router but this of course did nothing to the overall speed. My latency to a speed test server is around 90-100 as well. What can I do to speed this up?

Thanks in advance

Graham 

7 REPLIES 7
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Poor download speed

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

If you would like help with your speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the steps and provide the data as requested in the Need Help with Your Home Broadband Speed or Connection? sticky. This will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further.

What does BT Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grup40 Investigator
Investigator

Please find stuff requested below.

STATUS   Configured Current Line Status -- UP Link Type -- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G.993.2 (VDSL2)
DATA RATE INFORMATION Upstream 7485 (Kbps) Downstream 15418 (Kbps)
DEFECT/FAILURE INDICATION Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 6.2 (dB) 5.6 (dB) Line Attenuation 0.0 (dB) 25.8 (dB)
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 6.9 (dBm) 8.3 (dBm) Fast Path FEC Correction 16177003 0 Interleaved Path FEC Correction -- -- Fast Path CRC Error 0 71145 Interleaved Path CRC Error -- -- Loss Of Signal Defect 2 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 18676 Interleaved Path HEC Error -- -- Error Seconds 852 393
STATISTICS Received Data 25181723 (Kbits) Transmitted Data 11946667 (Kbits)

SYSTEM LOG This page shows various system events like administrator login/logout, broadband connection status.
System Uptime is: 70:50:17
Current Time/Date is: 

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 7 -- 4.5 to 11.5 16-Oct-17 ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4 to 8 Available WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

High Low High Low       VDSL Range A (Clean) 29.2 20 7.1 5 18 Available -- -- Yes VDSL Range B (Impacted) 22.4 10.3 6.3 2.2 7.9 Available -- -- Yes

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- -- --

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 7 -- 4.5 to 11.5 16-Oct-17 -- -- -- WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 7 Up to 1 4.5 to 11.5 16-Oct-17 -- -- -- ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4 to 8 Available -- -- -- WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- --

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- --

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1505586725452335555

I have seen little above 15Mbs when im told the line will go to 29.
Also as soon as my parter streams amazon or netflix, the ping I have in my gaming with a wired connection spikes and goes all over the place.

Thanks for your help!

by Grup40 Investigator
Investigator

This was taken 5 mins after the last one...

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1505587392461663155

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Is there a "Premise environment" section near the foot of that BT table?

EE & BT's estimates for your speed are of the sync speed reported by the router, currently 15.4 Meg.

Were those speedtests done wired?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by Grup40 Investigator
Investigator

This is allit said below. I had to do the address checker as I dont know my landline number, never use it.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market A Exchange.

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

Where planned or expected availability dates are shown, these may be liable to change.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

The DP is external to the end user premises.

Speed test was completed wired.

Ping still an issue when 2 users on working.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Then there is no way of knowing whether you are on a Clean or Impacted line. Your sync speed is well within the Impacted line range.

It's essential to have a cheap landline handset handy to diagnose BB faults & having the odd call on it lessens the chance of corrosion.

You do have a high level of FEC Corrections. Reboot your router & connect it to the hidden test socket & repost the router stats. Then run it for a few days untouched &  repost the router stats + Uptime.

by Grup40 Investigator
Investigator

Found my number and did this,

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low         VDSL Range A (Clean) 29.2 20 7.1 5 18 Available -- -- Yes -- VDSL Range B (Impacted) 22.4 10.3 6.3 2.2 7.9 Available -- -- Yes --

Featured Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTP Availability Date

FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available -- -- -- --

ADSL Products

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 8 -- 5.5 to 15 17-Oct-17 -- -- -- -- WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 8 Up to 1 5.5 to 15 17-Oct-17 -- -- -- -- ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4.5 to 6.5 Available -- -- -- -- WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- -- Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --

Premise environment

Status

Bridge Tap U               VRI --               NTEFaceplate --               Last Test Date 18-01-1970            

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.