This page is no longer active

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

by radiatorbrass Contributor
Contributor

Poor ADSL Broadband speeds for a few weeks

Hello,

I've been with EE for about 8 months and for the last 3 weeks have had quite poor speeds.

I've gone from being able to use iplayer and download large files to getting at best 100k a second download speeds and not being able to watch iplayer, and spending hours downloading updates for my devices.

In October I had a line outage for about 3 weeks which was fixed by BT eventually but aside from that had no issues.

I've done the Quiet line test, no issues.

My router is plugged into the main socket and wired to a pc, so not a wifi issue.

My router stats are;

Time Connected:  02:21:36 (I didn't reset my router, I assume EE reset it when I called them today)

Status
  Configured Current Line Status --- SHOWTIME Link Type --- Interleaved Path Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+) Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate Upstream 1132 (Kbps.) Downstream 1150 (Kbps.)Defect/Failure Indication

Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 6.1 dB 6.5 dB Line Attenuation 24.7 dB 41.5 dB Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 12.6 dBm 0.0 dBm Fast Path FEC Correction NA NA Interleaved Path FEC Correction 381332 0 Fast Path CRC Error NA NA Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 39 Loss of Signal Defect 1 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR NA NA Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 17 Error Seconds 157 391 Statistics
Received Cells 1321117 Transmitted Cells 229605

(I checked this yesterday and my upsteam data rate has gone down a little, plus my noise margin up and down have changed a little )

My EE broadband speed estimate is; "We estimate your access line speed is 2.0Mb/sec."

My exchange is Rugeley ( https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WMRUG )

My speed test is usually about 0.9 down 1.0 up - here  

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=1420452896642718755

Does anyone have any suggestions? I noticed some talk about banding on other threads and wondered if it's something I can request to be changed?

Any suggestions most appreciated.

Thanks

15 REPLIES
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Poor ADSL Broadband speeds for a few weeks

Thanks for giving all that info w/out being prompted.

You should be syncing at about 8 Meg. The reason you are not is that EE has put you on a banded profile, the 3rd lowest of these Banded Profiles, altho' you now have no significant errors. You need to call them to remove any banding.

Ignore that 2 Meg estimate from EE; they give it to everybody regardless. The BT Broadband Availability Checker will tell a diff story..

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Thanks very much for such a quick answer!

Much appreciated, I'll give them another call and post the outcome.

Contributor

Just an update,

They didn't call me back after this morning so I called again.

I mentioned the banding and the Upstream values, they made some changes, got me to reset the router and got me to run the Bt speed test a few times. http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

I've gone from 1mbps to about 3mbps, which is better, havent checked if it's similar to what i had before the issues started.

I was told to get back in touch about the speed in the next few days if it drops again. They did say I should be getting 6 or 7.

My status now looks like this;

Time Connected:  00:18:31

Line Status --- SHOWTIME Link Type --- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate Upstream 1135 (Kbps.) Downstream 3607 (Kbps.)

Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 6.2 dB 6.0 dB Line Attenuation 24.7 dB 41.5 dB Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 12.6 dBm 0.0 dBm Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0 Interleaved Path FEC Correction NA NA Fast Path CRC Error 224 1 Interleaved Path CRC Error NA NA Loss of Signal Defect 0 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 45 0 Interleaved Path HEC Error NA NA Error Seconds 169 1

Statistics
Received Cells 263914 Transmitted Cells 103451

Thanks for the help.

Contributor

Just an update,

They didn't call me back after this morning so I called again.

I mentioned the banding and the Upstream values, they made some changes, got me to reset the router and got me to run the Bt speed test a few times. http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

I've gone from 1mbps to about 3mbps, which is better, havent checked if it's similar to what i had before the issues started.

I was told to get back in touch about the speed in the next few days if it drops again. They did say I should be getting 6 or 7.

My status now looks like this;

Time Connected:  00:18:31

Line Status --- SHOWTIME Link Type --- Fast Path Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate Upstream 1135 (Kbps.) Downstream 3607 (Kbps.)

Operation Data Upstream Downstream Noise Margin 6.2 dB 6.0 dB Line Attenuation 24.7 dB 41.5 dB Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator Output Power 12.6 dBm 0.0 dBm Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0 Interleaved Path FEC Correction NA NA Fast Path CRC Error 224 1 Interleaved Path CRC Error NA NA Loss of Signal Defect 0 0 Fast Path HEC Error STR 45 0 Interleaved Path HEC Error NA NA Error Seconds 169 1

Statistics
Received Cells 263914 Transmitted Cells 103451

Thanks for the help.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

It's still not right! You should be getting 8 Meg and fortunately EE agrees.

I suspect your internal wiring is limiting your speed. You say you are plugged into the main socket, but is that only the external one?

Try plugging your router into the hidden test socket that is revealed when you remove the bottom half of the split faceplate (2 screws) of your master socket. Only do this if you have a split faceplate. Do you have any extension sockets? Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate?

Try the BT Quiet Line Test (dial 17070 Opt 2), preferably with a corded phone, in the test socket with the router disconnected. If there is any noise, report to your landline provider as a voice fault (don't mention Broadband). Often sorting out voice faults will fix the Broadband as well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 0207 362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC = 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
Contributor

Thanks for the reply!

My speed hasn't changed its about 3 Meg now and has been since calling them.

I'm plugged in to the master socket but only the external one - so i'll try plugging into the hidden test socket.

I've tried the quiet line test already.

There are lots of extensions wired into it, the house (rented) is covered in extensions, that go into most rooms.

Do they have an impact even if nothing is plugged into them?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

Yes, it's their wiring that can cause noise and if, as you say, you have many of them, they could well be doing so.

If you have no use for them, leave the faceplate off and always run from the hidden test socket.

Contributor

Spoke too soon, had to reset my router and i've now gone down to 2.5 mb.

Reset it again and it dropped a little more to 2.4.

Will call EE when I can get the time to wait.

------

Line Status
---
SHOWTIME
Link Type
---
Interleaved Path
Operation Mode
Automatic
G992.5(ADSL2+)
Data Rate Information
Stream Type
Actual Data Rate
Upstream
1160 (Kbps.)
Downstream
2458 (Kbps.)
Operation Data
Upstream
Downstream
Noise Margin
6.2 dB
9.1 dB
Line Attenuation
23.5 dB
39.5 dB
Indicator Name
Near End Indicator
Far End Indicator
Output Power
12.6 dBm
0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction
NA
NA
Interleaved Path FEC Correction
Fast Path CRC Error
NA
NA
Interleaved Path CRC Error
Loss of Signal Defect
Fast Path HEC Error STR
NA
NA
Interleaved Path HEC Error
Error Seconds
Statistics
Received Cells
Transmitted Cells

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@radiatorbrass wrote:

Will call EE when I can get the time to wait.

Eliminate the extension sockets 1st. They are your responsibility not EE's.

Contributor

Ok will do.

Stupid question, if there's nothing plugged into them are they still liable to introduce noise?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

I'm sure I already answered that. It's their wiring that can introduce noise. Think of them as many long aerials.

Contributor

I plugged into the hidden socket, disconnected the empty extensions and my downsteam is now 4 mb.

Thanks very much for your help.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

That's not all that much better than your 2nd. stats. What are your router stats now?

Are there any wires connected to back of faceplate? Do you get a dial tone on any of the "disconnected" extensions? If you do, there is still a non-standard route to them that could still cause noise.

Try switch the router OFF/ON, but not too often.

Contributor

Hi thanks for the help,

Stats are below.

Speed has dropped again over time.  Powered down and restarted but getting 3069kbps.

Yes there's wires on the back of the faceplate, yes some of the wiring is still active, i've removed the extensions that I could (Plugged in ones)

Time Connected:  00:14:11

---
Interleaved Path
Operation Mode
Automatic
G992.5(ADSL2+)
Data Rate Information
Stream Type
Actual Data Rate
Upstream
1164 (Kbps.)
Downstream
3069 (Kbps.)
Operation Data
Upstream
Downstream
Noise Margin
5.8 dB
7.2 dB
Line Attenuation
23.2 dB
40.0 dB
Indicator Name
Near End Indicator
Far End Indicator
Output Power
12.6 dBm
0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction
NA
NA
Interleaved Path FEC Correction
Fast Path CRC Error
NA
NA
Interleaved Path CRC Error
Loss of Signal Defect
Fast Path HEC Error STR
NA
NA
Interleaved Path HEC Error
Error Seconds
Statistics
Received Cells
Transmitted Cells

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@radiatorbrass wrote:

Yes there's wires on the back of the faceplate, yes some of the wiring is still active, i've removed the extensions that I could (Plugged in ones)

Having removed all the plugged in (temporary) extensions, how many other fixed extensions are there? How many have a dial-tone after removing master faceplate? If any, then the problem lies with your non-standard internal wiring, not banding as I 1st thought. Try the QLT from the live extensions.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.