Highlighted
by ekajia Contributor
Contributor

Phone not working in the Netherlands

I am currently in the Netherlands and my phone/texting isn't working on the network (T-Mobile NL) Calling/texting within the EU is permitted on my plan, but so far I'm unable to do anything without WiFi. I have tried restarting phone but it did not help. Roaming is switched on.

16 REPLIES 16
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Phone not working in the Netherlands

@ekajia. Your tariff might allow you to use your allowance when abroad but that doesn't mean roaming is enabled on your account,  did you call customer services before you left the UK to enable roaming on your account ?  Or did you text ROAMING to 150 before you left the UK to activate roaming on your account ? 

by ekajia Contributor
Contributor

No i didn't because i had been to Spain last week and was able to use texts and minutes fine there.

So i assume roaming is activated?

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ekajia. It should be working then.  Have you tried turning the device off/on ? Or even tried turning off 4G 

by ekajia Contributor
Contributor

Yep, just tried again after doing both of those and still being told 'Call is not allowed' when trying to make a call.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ekajia. You say roaming is switched on do you mean on the device ?  If you do then turn it off as this can stop the device from working abroad.   

by ekajia Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I've tried making calls and texts when roaming is disabled, when it is enabled, after turning the phone off and on again, after reconnecting to the T-Mobil network, but have had no luck when trying any of these.

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ekajia. How long have you been out of the UK for ?  Roaming is only available for 30 days and then you need to comeback to the UK to reset this time limit back to 30 days. 

by ekajia Contributor
Contributor

Only for 4 days. I was in the UK on Sunday. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ekajia. What device is it ?  And lets see if @Richard_C. can help you as im puzzled on why this is not working for you.   

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @ekajia

Thank for for becoming one of the newest members of the EE Community 🙂

I know @Chris_B has got this all covered, but I'm just checking to see whether you have attempted a manual network selection on the phone?

Also here is the pricing information for the Netherlands should you want to take a look.

Cheers

Richard

🙂

by ekajia Contributor
Contributor

I'm on a Samsung S5 and yeah, I've tried automatically selecting the network, and manually selecting T-Mobil NL network.

I'm on the 4GEE MAX plan with all my data, minutes, and texts included in EEs Europe Roaming Zone.

by
EE Employee

Hi @ekajia and welcome to the community.

So I can try and help, please may I get you to perform a manual network search and choose a network other than what you are on.

iPhone: Go to Settings > Carrier and turn off Automatic. Wait until available networks appear, which might take two minutes. Tap the carrier that you want.

Android: Open the Settings menu >Tap More > Mobile Networks > Carrier and turn off Automatic. Wait until available networks appear, which might take two minutes. Tap the carrier that you want

Please, also can I get you to try and dial a friend or family member using the format of 00447********* and try using data. 

Did this work?

Many thanks,

Lee

by ekajia Contributor
Contributor

I just connected to another network 'NL KPN' and again was told my outgoing call was barred.

I am able to receive calls by the way.

by
EE Employee

Hi @ekajia

If you log into your My EE account you will have an option to chat when an agent is available, or you can contact us using our contact numbers on the get in touch page using and alternative phone.

Our customer service team will be able to assist with your issue.

Let me know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

by ekajia Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the live chat link however it would not work as clicking on it only brought up a popup saying 

'Currently our chat agents are not trained to handle this enquiry type via chat, we may look to add this service in the future.

Click here for contact details: http://ee.co.uk/help/get-in-touch'

In response to the previous reply, i am on an EE personal account and using the 00447... format didn't work either.

by
EE Employee

Hi @ekajia

I do apologise that you are having issues with the live chat service.

Unfortunately, because of this you will have to give our customer service team a call using an alternative phone.

Please let us know how you get on.

Many thanks,

Lee

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.