by ExpatPR Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Phone locked to EE?

I was looking at my profile on my EE account. I noticed that it says my phone is locked to EE and I would need to unlock it to use a sim from a different carrier. I have a Payg sim that I use on my phone from a US carrier. I'm assuming this is just a mistake and I can use any sim I want on my phone. Am I right?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
by
EE Employee
Solution

Re: Phone locked to EE?

Hi @ExpatPR and welcome back to the Community.

If the device was purchased via another provider unlocked we certainly wouldn't lock the device.

I do believe it is the auto assumption of MyEE which has caused a small bit of confusion.

Many thanks,

Lee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
by Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi, 

What phone do you have and did you buy it sim free/unlocked? 

Thanks, 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 07953 966 250 from any other phone.

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 9pm weekday, 8am to 8pm on weekends.
Highlighted
Established Contributor

I have an iPhone 7 from Verizon in the US. All their phones are unlocked which allows me to use a local sim when I travel. When I go to the U.K. I just swap in the EE sim and it works. I just haven't tried any other SIM cards yet. I haven't been to the EU for an extended time yet but my plan would be to get a local sim when I do unless the roaming charges from EE improve this summer. 

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@ExpatPR: MyEE is rather ignorant/stupid when you register an EE SIM on it & the EE SIM happens to be in a non-EE phone. It, by default, assumes the phone is an EE one & reports that the phone must be locked to EE. This is a unjustified & crazy assumption & you may safely ignore it.

As you know your phone is actually unlocked & can be used with any SIM.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by
EE Employee
Solution

Hi @ExpatPR and welcome back to the Community.

If the device was purchased via another provider unlocked we certainly wouldn't lock the device.

I do believe it is the auto assumption of MyEE which has caused a small bit of confusion.

Many thanks,

Lee

View solution in original post

Established Contributor

Thanks @Lee_H,

Thats what I thought was happening. One more question. Is topping up considered a chargeable event that keeps the SIM active? Because for those of us that travel to the U.K., and don't have a U.K. credit card, EE now accepts foreign credit cards. I was able to add my credit card to both our accounts. I can now top up from the app, which is awesome. 

by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @ExpatPR,

A chargeable event is classed as making a chargeable call, sending a text or accessing data, so topping up wouldn't count.

The best way to keep your SIM card active is to send a text once every 179 days.

You can find out more in our pay as you go hibernation guide.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@James_B: I must correct you. Topping up does count as a chargeable action. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

To phone EE: The local rate landline number +44 207 362 0200 or Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC
by

Hi @XRaySpeX,

I'm going off the information in our pay as you go hibernation guide.

I'll make sure this is double checked and get back to you. 

Thanks Smiley Happy

James

Established Contributor

Thanks @James_B!,

I do have a routine to swap in the SIM cards every 160 to send a text. It's good to know that if I top up I can skip the texting for another 179 days. 

by

No problem @ExpatPR

I'll double check that topping up counts as a chargeable action on the back of @XRaySpeX's feedback.

Have a great weekend. Smiley Happy

James

by Grand Master
Grand Master

@James_B: Read on to the 2nd post in that thread, with justification:

Pay as you go Non-Standard price guide

You must make a connection action at least once every 180 days. If you do not, your SIM card 
will be disconnected from the network, and you will not be able to use the service at all.
You will also lose your mobile phone number. Any credit on your account at the time of
disconnection will be forfeited. ‘Connection actions’ are: – Making a chargeable outbound call – Sending a text message – Topping up your account – Making a payment for an Add-On – Registering your details

It's a "connection action" actually, not a "chargeable action"!

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.