by Fourpot Established Contributor
Established Contributor

(Petition) S7 Nougat Update & Much needed secuirty updates for other devices

Hi Folks,

If you are one of the unlucky bunch (which is most probably everyone on EE) whose devices have still not received the latest security updates (some haven’t for the last year) please sign the below petition, as lack of interest in security in this day and age is unacceptable.

The fact that we haven’t received these updates are bad enough but EE believe its ok to have the audacity to reply with half-hearted responses which are also sarcastic at times, It’s disgusting. I have never dealt with a customer service as frustrating as EE are and will definitely be leaving when I come to the end of my contract.

Anyway I’m rambling (EE can do this to a person)

Please sign the below for change!

https://www.change.org/p/ee-uk-please-start-releasing-android-security-updates

18 REPLIES 18
by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: (Petition) S7 Nougat Update & Much needed secuirty updates for other dev

Please be aware while this petition is for the S family of devices it is in fact for all Android devices with a firmware changed for EE.   The changes EE insist are made to the software on your devices, the lack of support, lack of consideration for security and the contempt for the quality of experience the manufacturers would like from their device is disgusting.

We deserve better from a company that boasts so much about speed.  It truly is the fastest network with the slowest update policy.

Established Contributor

You’re completely right Sir, I have an S line device and my misuses has the S6 (with EE) in which I have been chasing EE for a security update for nearly the length of her contract.

I would just like to say that I am not the creator of the petition, I just came across it on here and decided to repost, as the more people who sign the more likely our voices will be heard! 

I wasn’t aware that this was the same for none S devices (

Unfortunately haven't done much research into it), hopefully if this petition is successfully we will see some change which will filter through to all other android devices (Hopefully!)

I have also heard discussions on changing the firmware to BTU (Galaxy S Models)…. but really? Should I have to do this on a phone that I pay god knows how much more than its worth on a monthly basis? As easy as it is to do, it’s the principle.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Is this not more a general thing with branded firmwares? I mean, looking through SamMobile the other networks don't appear to release regular security updates either and the only one of them (as of yesterday) to have released Nougat 7 so far is O2.

Another thing, WiFi Calling does work in BTU as of Marshmallow 6.0.1. It's just VoLTE that you need an EE branded firmware for.

I think this is one area IPhone currently wins with (I'm an Andorid user) in that all Apple's firmwares are controlled centrally by Apple and the carriers just add their configs in a standardised way rather than trying to maintain their own versions of generic Android builds the phone manufacturers release in order to get the phones to work optimally with their networks.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Its a huge issue across all Android devices (except Pixel).

From no security updates, to delays in OS updates to phones being flawed from the start due to EE not passing on fixes the manufacturer has rolled out. All with no want to improve the service.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

No other carrier has the issue to the extent of EE even a manager in EE last week confirmed they was always last.  There is a lot of information on this issue in the forums linked below.

This is an EE issue and we deserve more don't you think.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Android/coming-to-the-end-of-February-and-still-no-nougat-for-s7-edge/...

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Android/When-will-the-Android-Nougat-update-come-for-HTC-M9/td-p/53365...

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Android/nougat-on-htc10/td-p/524619

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Android/List-devices-behind-on-security-and-OS-updates/td-p/526289

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@Southerner wrote:

Is this not more a general thing with branded firmwares? I mean, looking through SamMobile the other networks don't appear to release regular security updates either and the only one of them (as of yesterday) to have released Nougat 7 so far is O2.

Another thing, WiFi Calling does work in BTU as of Marshmallow 6.0.1. It's just VoLTE that you need an EE branded firmware for.

I think this is one area IPhone currently wins with (I'm an Andorid user) in that all Apple's firmwares are controlled centrally by Apple and the carriers just add their configs in a standardised way rather than trying to maintain their own versions of generic Android builds the phone manufacturers release in order to get the phones to work optimally with their networks.

My wife received Nougat 7 on her S7 on Three mobile yesterday. 

BrendonH (Android Expert) Samsung Galaxy S10+ (Android 10 Beta)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Established Contributor

Thank you all for your responses. I understand that it’s not just EE, (even though they are one of the worst) especially as they love to blow their own trumpet about being the ‘fastest and best network’. I now know that the way forward is buying an unbranded phone, pixel, or unfortunately an iPhone, which I will definitely be doing in the future.

I also understand that isn’t an option for all and financial wise it’s easier to go with a network and sign a contact etc. While I’m a paying customer I would like to see EE step up their game and also for others in the future! 🙂

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Although I am with you all on the update front.

People need to get ff the remark of the 'Biggest and fastest' network.

This does not mean updates.

This was recognised by an independent body so EE use it in their marketing.

It has everything to do with how many customers they have and how fast their data speeds are.

Updates have nothing to do with it.

I to was at the mercy of waiting for EE until I realised I could flash other firmware.  It is easy to do and as long you follow the steps 1 by 1 it would go smoothly.

Established Contributor

Oh no my apologies, I do understand that they have no relation to each other. I understand that this applies to EE’s connection speeds and signal coverage etc etc (which is decent btw) but I’m sorry I can’t help but feel that blowing your own trumpet over how great you are as a network, but lacking in an area which tbh is just as if not more important to their customers is just ridiculous. (Anyway that’s another discussion for another day).

The more people who sign this petition the better, it might not be enough, or the ‘answer’ but I feel like it’s our right as paying customers to continue to challenge EE!

by Chris_c81 Contributor
Contributor

Actually 02 and Three have released Nougat for S7 EDGE in the UK. Vodafone in other EU countries have released so only a matter of days I would think before they release UK.

What's more irritating though is the number of smaller networks in countries like Bulgaria who have released Nougat this month!

Yet EE, certainly one of the biggest networks in the UK, are terrible at getting updates out.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Would be interesting to see if these smaller carriers have the same special features EE sight as one of the reasons they need to have changes made to the firmware

by Profile closed
Not applicable

@Chris_c81 wrote:

Actually 02 and Three have released Nougat for S7 EDGE in the UK. Vodafone in other EU countries have released so only a matter of days I would think before they release UK.

Sorry, I thought this thread was related to the S7 flat. I have not researched the S7 Edge firmware update availability.

by Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Us android users are all in the same boat regardless of device. EE has a policy issue that's affecting the quality of our devices and security. Regardless of device or thread keep pushing for change and asking why are things as they are and but improving

Mark

by Chris_c81 Contributor
Contributor

Kind of embarrassing EE haven't got their act together yet when you consider the following:

https://ibb.co/ny9ZOv

by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I flashed the latest S7 BTU with the Nougat "beta 1" CSC and now have 100% working Nougat on my EE S7.

Including WiFi calling, VoLTE and HD calls and January 2017 security. 🙂

If I can do this then why can't EE?

Peter

by Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

A little bit different as EE firmware is modified.

EE has to test and make sure it all works.

by Profile closed
Not applicable

Are you running on a beta build to get VoLTE on 7.0 BTU or have Samsung released a later version than their 1st? Only I heard VoLTE didn't work in the original.

Highlighted
by Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Re: (Petition) S7 Nougat Update

I'm running the latest BTU with the CSC replaced by the one from the
November beta. That first CSC had the tables and settings for EE VoLTE. But
all the software, bootloader, modem is the latest BTU. It's the smoothest
and fastest Samsung Android build I've ever experienced.
Peter

Can't find what you're looking for?

One of these options may help you find the answers you need.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.