This page is no longer active

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

by
EE Community Manager

Orange Email closure: What do I need to do?

[ Edited ]

Update, 29 June 2017:

Orange Email has now closed, and the information in this article is no longer current.

Visit ee.co.uk/emailhelp for more information.

Update, 1 June 2017:

This article has been updated to reflect new information about the closure of Orange Email. We’ve removed the sections which are no longer relevant.

Orange email closed on 31 May 2017.

You can no longer use your Orange Email address or access your Orange inbox so there are a number of things you should do. Please see below.

Set up a new email address

If you don’t have an alternative email address at the moment, it’s important to set up a new one.

There are many alternative email providers that are free to use. Some of our favourites are:

Google Mail

Hotmail

Yahoo Mail

Move your emails between 12 and 28 June

If you still need to export emails from your inbox to a new email provider, you’ll have the opportunity to do this for a short period between 12 and 28 June 2017:

Tell EE your new email address

If your Orange email address is the one we use to contact you about your mobile or broadband services with us, you’ll need to give us an alternative address to send any future emails to. 

Home Broadband customers:

If you set your Orange Email address as your preferred online login (used to reset your password), you need to update it.

Change your Home Broadband online login >

If you set your Orange Email address as the contact address for communications from us about your account (e.g. bill notifications), you need to update it.

Change your Home Broadband contact details >

EE Mobile customers:

If you use your Orange Email address as your username for your My EE account, we recommend you update this to your new email address to avoid any future issues with password reset or account confirmation emails.

You can do this by logging in to My EE and changing your email address in the Your details section in Account settings.

Change your My EE username >

If you don’t use My EE, you can contact us on 0800 956 6000 (or by dialling 150 from your EE, Orange or T-Mobile phone) to give us your new email address.

Tell other services about your change of email address

Do you use your Orange Email address with other companies and services? You need to give them your new one so they’re still able to contact you.

This could be anything from your bank to your local gym, so have a think about who might need your new email address. You can read the checklist for more suggestions.

These are the key things to take care of. If you need any more guidance, reply below to let us know. And if you have any useful tips to help other people, please share them in the comments.  

Read our dedicated Help page for more information on the Orange Email closure.

135 REPLIES
by
Explorer

Re: Orange Email closure: What do I need to do?

The free phone number provided in the email announcing this closure (0800 079 0324) does NOT offer an option to discuss the issues.

There is no mention of what to do if you are an Outlook user - i.e. use Outlook as the email client on a home PC.

by
Grand Master

@Mfugeman: What to do if you are using Outlook, or any other email client for that matter, on your PC will depend on who you go with for your new email. You go to their Website Help & look up their POP3, IMAP & SMTP settings.

I am now up-and-running with my new provider and Outlook is working fine & as expected, as my main email client.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Star" button below.
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Explorer

Thank you. Haven't yet decided on who to go with, but it will probably be
Gmail. I am sure their web site will have useful stuff on it.
by
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Mfugeman

Whoever you choose, I hope it's a nice smooth transition for you.

Please do come back and let us know how the set up goes for you.

Thanks for coming to see us in community 

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Contributor

A while back I set up a gmail account and my Outlook downloads to my pc without a problem.

by
Investigator

I was shocked to receive notification of the closure of Orange. I have had my Freeserve email address since 1999 and it is registered with more websites than I care to remember. I have the email address linked to my Outlook client and have a .pst file of emails going back well over 10 years (I did lose some of them when my first PC died). It is vital that I have access to this, because as a Family Historian I often need to refer to old emails if new information comes to light.

The email address I chose quite deliberately includes my residential address, so in many ways it has been like a personal domain to me. I do not believe that I could find any email provider that would allow me to tailor an email address in this way.

I do have alternative email addresses, but the main reason I have paid Freeserve/Orange/EE all these years as well as paying another ISP for my broadband is simply to keep the email address.

Is there any way that a review of this decision can be made please, or would EE be prepared to sell the Freeserve domain name to another business who might be prepared to keep the domain name going.

I see my Freeserve email address very much like my residential address. I hope that some alternative solution can be provided.

by
Investigator

Re: I hear EE is closing our old Freeserve email accounts. When is this happenin

Hi,

I have asked this elsewhere, but I will also ask it here. I like many people have had a freeserve email address since 1999. I have paid for it as well as paying another ISP for my broadband service because the address i chose incorporates my residential address so is like a personal domain to me. I would be prepared to pay a premium price to keep it.

Please ask the powers that be whether this can be reconsidered or whether they would be prepared to sell the freeserve and associated domains from that era to any organisation prepared to keep them active. Those who have freeserve email addresses can probably be classed as pioneers of the internet. Surely long term loyalty to a brand counts for something.

I repeat I am willing to pay a premium to keep the email address. Please ask your commercial manager to reconsider

by
Grand Master

[ Edited ]

@Spaldonian: You don't lose your Outlook .pst file when Orange email closes down. You don't even lose it if you were to remove your Freeserve email a/c from Outlook. It stays on your PC with all the emails it's ever kept and added to with all new emails from whatever new provider you choose.

Spaldonian wrote:

The email address I chose quite deliberately includes my residential address, so in many ways it has been like a personal domain to me. I do not believe that I could find any email provider that would allow me to tailor an email address in this way.

Oh, yes, you can! You buy your own domain based on your residential address.  I now have a email address that is identical to my Freeserve one but with the "freeserve.co." deleted. 

You too can do this by buying the domain "YourResidentialAddress.uk" from any domain host. Then you'll have multiple email addresses "whatever@YourResidentialAddress.uk". It'll cost you. I'm paying about £15 per annum for this, including email hosting. 

A review just ain't gonna take place at this late stage. All the reviewing has already taken place.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
To phone EE: The local rate landline number 020 7362 0200 or Freephone 0800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobiles; Option 2 for 4G WiFi; Option 3 for Home Broadband & EE TV.

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
by
Contributor

Hi, Shocked is an understatement! I am an EE broadband customer, (originally freeserve dial up modem), but as the service was taken over by different companies, (freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange/EE), my email address retained the ending of ....@freeserve.co.uk@fs . Now it seems I am to be a broadband customer with no service provider email but have to use a third party gmail account. Took me three days to change all(?) my accounts to new gmail email address. Fortunately I use Outlook which downloads emails to my pc and these emails will be retained. Stayed with EE for the free web space which had a good ranking and to avoid hassle of an email move. Web sites now with Google sites and can get my broadband where I wish as I expect will others. This email service might suit your purposes better for a small annual fee https://www.1and1.co.uk/email-address .

by
Grand Master

@Collietrainer: Yes, been there, done that!

It's £15.45 for the 1st year & £22.65 pa thereafter.

by
Skilled Contributor

@Spaldonian, please don't take this wrongly but you need to stop looking back and move forward. EE aren't going to change their minds, Put your full resources into changing to another provider. If yours is holding anywhere near as many stored emails as mine you're going to need to give it your full attention.

I've now switched to Gmail, with the domain that I want (paid for) and I'm so glad this happened. No more worrying if it will be down again just when I really need it. No more worrying if it will ever come back on again or will I lose everything. I've done that so many times, believe me.

I would urge everyone not to put it off any longer. It's better to have the luxury of the old one still running for a while, just to double check everything. I barely look at mine now though. I have the fs account feeding into the new Gmail and I've sent out the first round of notifications to my contacts, all of which takes time so don't delay. By the end of May you will not be able to look back and that's coming around quickly.

Like some of you guys I've been here since day one. It did feel like a kick in the teeth at first but I'm over that now. Despite the fact that I sat here thinking I was EE's most important long standing customer, I'm yet to be informed of any of this by them. Had it not been for this forum I'd still be none the wiser. There will be lots of people for whom notification causes chaos. We've been the lucky ones. I don't see how it can be so difficult for EE to tell everyone at the same time. That part of it has been very badly handled.

Hopefully you'll all have a smooth transition.

by
Explorer

I have set up my away message but it's not working.
by

Hi @scrappyange

Are you getting any kind of error message?

Thanks

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Established Contributor

Well I finally got my email announcing the closure - I still think there should be some reference to it on all the webmail log in screens.

by
Established Contributor

Actually I just realised, the announcement has only come to my personal email address and not our church Fsnet email account, also affected.

So why is it taking so long to get round to everyone?

I repeat my question, how difficult is it to put a warning and a link on the webmail log in pages?

by

Hi @Stickings90

I hope everything goes as smoothly as can be for you.

I hope you find the community helpful and please, if you haven't seen it already have a look at the ORANGE EMAIL CLOSURE help and support page created to help.

Thank you

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Skilled Contributor

Oh lucky you....lol.

Still not had mine yet. I can see there being some seriously shocked people as time moves on. It was bad enough for us, and we were in the know ( thanks to you ).

EE you will have a lot of disatisfied customers on your hands very shortly. Don't be surprised if you lose a lot of them.

The annoying thing is, I've found the people on these pages very helpful, and that includes the EE folks. I just don't understand how the company can't get the message out properly. They certainly have the technology to do so. It gives the impression that nobody cares.....Not the wisest business model, in my opinion.

by

Hi @Roncat

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm pleased you find the pages and information helpful and I just want you to know that we do care, value feedback and your contribution.

Richard

Smiley Happy

by
Skilled Contributor

Richard_C wrote:

Hi @Roncat

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm pleased you find the pages and information helpful and I just want you to know that we do care, value feedback and your contribution.

Richard

Smiley Happy

I don't doubt that for a minute @Richard_C, you guys have done what you can. It's the people above you that my complaint is against. Let's face it, nobody told us anything in the first instance.

And they might've gotten away with it if it hadn't been for that meddling @Stickings90...hahaha.....and to think, both myself and @XRaySpeX told him it wouldn't happen...lol.......Thankfully he stuck to his guns. Fair play to you Sticky.

Let's get started

Join the EE Community to ask, answer, learn and share.